Loud Generators

markwilliam1

Got back last week from my first boondocking experience. Wasn't fun! There was a family camped 2-300 yards away with the loudest generator I ever heard. Couldn't believe it and they ran it all morning and all day until 11 PM. Walking by their camp site you couldn't even think. I understand the need for electricity but in such a beautiful place you couldn't hear birds or Anything. I asked the camp host lady about it and she said she has heard even louder ones and she just tries to block it out...How?? So just asking if this is how it is @ most boondocking places...people with loud generators? Even though the camping is free its not worth it if you can't enjoy nature. I will pay for some quiet I guess. Thanks for letting me rant!

part of the problem with boon docking in July-August is the heat.

Fantastic fans are the way to go for quiet. unfortunately for me that would involve cutting another hole in my sunrader's roof because I'm not giving up AC for anything and i just cannot get over cutting a hole in her either.

Ive decided to invest in a couple more ryobi drill fans for each window and maybe build shrouds for them that insert into the window track made out of plexiglass. should be interesting and cool well also. The idea is to have one blowing in (on the shade side) and one blowing out on the sun side. this should create both a cross breeze as well as keep rv temps same as outside. finally, an oscillating fan off of standard 12 volt will be in the back blowing forward.

Yep welcome to "modern camping". The really sad thing is most of the time there is a 6500w generator running a TV and a video game for the kids. When a nice solar panel and battery setup would take care of the power.

Sometimes its powering an A/C so that everone can be comfortable watching the tv when camping out.<_<

Many campgrounds have quiet hours 9-9, but if your really out boondocking the only choice is move.

Fan on Man! Good ideas. I'm saving up for the Max Air rig that has the vent shield to replace my old bath fan but @ $200 plus shipping....next year! 

WME how do people stand that constant noise? I don't get it and if that's the case a Wal-Mart parking lot would be much quieter! I camp to become one with nature and to tap into my solitary mode of quiet contemplation. Guess I have another thing coming if I boondock!!

A lot depends on the type of generator. The onan microlite is really quiet. I have one installed on my rear deck with rubber vibration isolators. Added a scooter muffler to the factory muffler. When your 20' away, you don't even hear it running.

I'll never be a boondocker, but try to be considerate of those around me.

The creatures of walmart never seem to mind when i boondock there at 3 AM. :)

In the morning i go in and buy bacon,eggs, electric fly swatter and coffee and make breakfast, kill the flies and move on.

I had thought about buy a nice maxx air or fantastic for my bathroom vent, but I just cannot escape Maineahs idea of using old PC computer fans since I have like 40 of them in my basement lying around. I plant to drill holes into them and rivet them in for a nice low draw air solution. Ive decided to have them eject air upwards. Might not be as nice as a maxx air or fantastic but will be cheap and free and low draw.

Edited by Totem

For fans - why re-invent the wheel?  We have a Fantastic vent-fan and we love it.  But sometimes - we just use little clip-on fans from Walmart.  They work great.  Paid $13 each. Nice thing is - each person who wants a fan can have one without blasting everyone with the Fantastic fan on the ceiling.

We used to have some pretty big rallys and had to set up a separate area for construction type gensets.  It was interesting as some people were new to camping without hookups and were embarrassed by how loud their generators were and then there were people who were totally oblivious to the noise.

I just love being in the wilderness, enjoying Mother Nature at her best, but the big screen TV, the microwave, the stereo system especially the amplifier and video games and mini fridge w ice maker all generate a lot of heat.  I put the satellite dish in the front so if a bird lands on it I can get a picture   (note to self charge camera battery) They really should have electric at these remote sites.

toy.PNG