I just bought a pair of billstein shocks from eshocks . went to go put them on the front and the bolt holes don't line up and are too wide. And the tube is too big to fit through the hole in the A arm. Bilstien shows they fit from 84 up to 95. the cab of the truck says it's an 83 even though it's titled as an 84. Has anyone ever had this problem before? has anyone ever had to modify the A arm to get other shots to fit. Thanks.

All I can think of, having no direct experience with this vehicle and shocks, is that maybe your truck is an 83 model, but the motorhome was built in 84.

It's very easy to tell. Body style changed dramatically (to someone with a mildly trained Toyota eye) in 84. If your truck is an 83 model, that would explain it, and we could easily tell by seeing it.

Photos?

You have to get used to some ambiguity with these things...and start making notes of what works for your motorhome, and what doesn't (regardless of what the catalogues tell you).

yes it is an 83 truck it says it on the door. unfortunately bilstein doesn't make shocks earlier than 84 for Toyota motorhomes. I don't know what the next best thing that's available would be for it. I really wanted bilsteins, I have them on my dune buggy and they work great. I was thinking I could maybe modify the a arm to make them work.

You need to find a shock that fits your truck. Check the stroke, check your Bilsteins. If the stroke is off, making it fit won't do much good.

To install, maybe remove the cross bar on the shock and install from the top.

that's exactly why I tried the forum I figured maybe somebody has the same camper and has put aftermarket shocks on it. I haven't checked the stroke yet but it looks pretty close. there's got to be a good aftermarket shock that somebody found.

Bilstein still makes a shock that will fit the rear of your truck, just look for your truck instead of motorhome. It will still be a heavy duty shock. KYB makes a Gas-Adjust shock that will fit the front of an 83. I have KYB on mine all around and they work great.

Linda S

I just talked to Bilstein and they confirmed the rears are right but they showthat they don't carry a heavy duty shock for the front. I'm going to try and see if I can fit these rears on and send the fronts back. I'll try KYB for the front. I have a pair of KYB gas adjust on another buggy in mine and I like them so they should do fine. if they have ones that fit. Mine has a cross bar on the bottom of the shock. So I will have to make sure the KYB has one. Thanks.

okay so it seems the rear shocks are too long to I'd have to collapse them about 6 inches to get them on which will leave probably about 4 inches of travel. Linda do you remember what KYB's are on yours?

You need to buy the Bilsteins for the regular 83 truck. Scroll down and see the 1974 to 1983 listing. Not motorhome shocks but probably the best you can get. You should be able to exchange them

http://www.eshocks.com/bil_veh.asp?Model_Index=0Q19&Manf=All&SubChar=Q

My camper is an 86 so you need the Gas-Adjust for your truck. Here's the KYB outlet. These are the front shocks

http://www.justsuspension.com/kyb-gas-a-just-shock-absorber-kg4611a.html

Try putting in SAVE50 at check out to save more money

Linda S

Take a look at www.autopartswarehouse.com they have KYB gas adjust for about 151.00 free shipping. I bought from them a few years ago. Liked the shocke a lot. Darrel

bilsteins are only for the back for 84 and before.

so you can get them but only for the back t

I once had 2 21 foot dophins at the same time a 79 and an 85.

the 79 had brand new kyb monoshocks made for the toyota truck that i put on myself

and the 85 had unknown lifespan bilstein hds. the difference is huge. even brand new the kybs feel like they are not there as they are made for something that weighs 2500 pounds.

there really is nothing other than billsteins that has ever been made for our motorhomes.handling is like the difference between nothing and something.

• 1 month later...