Rick92

Dual fuel tanks ?

Is it possible to add a second fuel tank to a 92 Toyota Itasca ?  I think I have the 17 gallon tank and would like to double that capacity.  I can only find stock replacement tanks for sale and don't think they will fit.  

I see lots of issues - where would you put it?  Then you have to plumb it which will make your evap system rather interesting - also another fuel pump/ transfer pump.

Did I mention weight?   

I have a spare mounted on the rear bumper - mine has a steel bumper. I carry a 2.5 gallon gas can (plastic) between spare & chassis - it sits on the bumper.  Makes me a lot bolder if I need to push that 17 gallons. I have never added more then 16 gallons. I usually stop more often (my bladder has a small tank to). 

Traveling in remote areas does require fuel planning.. I find "gasbuddy" app on my smart phone very helpful.   I have even stopped just to get 4 gallon top off because of the limited range.

It is a toyota rv kind of thing. 

btw, I can not see any practical way to add another tank.

I am a plumber so I don’t see any trouble with that aspect.  There is a spot in front of the existing tank that looks good if I reroute the e brake cable or where the spare tire is.  I have a spare tire holder that goes in the receiver hitch.  Rock Auto has all the dual tank accessories if I can just find a tank to fit.  We do the gas can on the bumper thing but it’s only a few gallons and inconvenient.  

Look for a jeep CJ2 under seat gas tank. Something like 24 "x18" x6". 12 gal

6 hours ago, WME said:

Look for a jeep CJ2 under seat gas tank. Something like 24 "x18" x6". 12 gal

... to fit where the spare tire fits (between the frame rails behind the axle) on a standard pickup. Might involve relocating any 'stuff' installed by the motorhome manufacturer in that location.

Weight? Just because the tank capacity is there doesn't mean you have to always keep them full.