Spruce up that old rusted propane tank. Martha Stewart style!

My horizontal propane tank is 25 years old and was badly rusted. No leaks whatsoever and had the thought of replacing it in the near term. Some folks mentioned painting them. Talking with my neighbor he suggested that I try galvanized paint. Off to the local depot, I found some cold galvanizing compound and decided to try it.

I took a wire brush and brushed as much rust off as a I could. I taped up the labels and all and put on 2 coats. Holy smoke!!! This tank looks brand new. For an added touch put some new plumbers tape on the adapter threads. Guarantee nobody will question how old your tank is based on the look.

Attached is before and after pictures.

Enjoy!

post-6384-0-59444400-1349111362_thumb.jp

post-6384-0-19933200-1349111387_thumb.jp

post-6384-0-01579000-1349111424_thumb.jp

post-6384-0-97407400-1349111448_thumb.jp

We call that a "Krylon Overhaul" :-)

I like it John. I guess the Martha style is more decorative than an overall. ;-)

• 1 month later...

My horizontal propane tank is 25 years old and was badly rusted. No leaks whatsoever and had the thought of replacing it in the near term. Some folks mentioned painting them. Talking with my neighbor he suggested that I try galvanized paint. Off to the local depot, I found some cold galvanizing compound and decided to try it.

I took a wire brush and brushed as much rust off as a I could. I taped up the labels and all and put on 2 coats. Holy smoke!!! This tank looks brand new. For an added touch put some new plumbers tape on the adapter threads. Guarantee nobody will question how old your tank is based on the look.

Attached is before and after pictures.

Enjoy!

Wow that really looks good I wonder if it is original? Mine does have a hint of what may have been decals and has no level gauge. I think all the newer replacements are now aluminum and all come with a level float. Good for another 25 years!

• 2 years later...

Gary_M, I tagged this thread to mine, you have the same tank as I do... I am currently having issues getting the propane people to fill the tank as they refuse to do "step 2" which is opening the small release valve all the way that lets the vapor spew out when full. I keep telling the gas guys that if they don't open that valve that it won't take a fill and instead pushes the reset button out. Can you confirm this?

Yes I've gone though this process for every new guy I meet to fill my tank. I even give them the heads up and they still screw it up. The instructions are listed on the tank. I suspect most stations only deal with the newer auto fill and will throw up their arms and give up on ours. I've been filling mine at a local rv park regularly so they are getting used to me. Sometimes I want to say just give me the nozzle and I will do it myself.

that is like the one i did on a friends itaska 34 foot. but in the other guys picts he has just a commen filler neck and bleeder screw.