My maiden voyage

citizenx

Next week I'll be flying out to Portland to pick up my new rig, a '91 Dolphin (V6), and driving it back to Pennsylvania. Although I've spent years researching these vehicles, it's occurred to me that I don't know the first thing about driving them. What, if anything, should I know before setting off on a 3,000 mile journey, over several mountain ranges and barren plains, all the while dodging inclement weather from every direction?

First the width. Now that I know your getting a V6 I have to tell you they are wider still than the mid 80's one. Not 1.8 inches wider but 4.5 inches. Your going to have to do some serious work to get an old grill to work. Bet the front is longer too so old fenders won't fit. I don't know if there is an easy fix. The V6 models are a dream to drive. That width makes them more stable on the road but it's a motorhome. Wind and trucks going by can make it blow around more than a regular vehicle. You have an ECT button. In the on position it makes the truck shift at higher RPMs so you have more pull getting up hills. Still don't let the engine lag. Down shift if you have to to keep the rpms up on steep hills and take your time. Overdrive won't work over 4000 ft so don't be alarmed. It will run fine without it. Down shift going down hill to keep your brakes cool. they really drive just like a truck. You'll love it. It's not like you bought a 40 foot bus camper. Those things would scare me.

Linda S

HI THERE AND WELCOME.  YOU MAY CONSIDER A DETAILED INSPECTION BEFORE EMBARKING ON YOUR JOURNEY. POSSIBLY TO THE EXTENT OF HAVING A REPUTABLE MECHANIC HAVING A LOOK SEE. AT A MINIMUM, I WOULD SUGGEST TAKING EXTRA BELTS, HOSES, FLUIDS, AND BASIC REPAIR TOOLS. DATE CODES ON TIRES ARE VERY IMPORTANT. GOOD LUCK, HAVE A SAFE TRIP.  JOE FROM DOVER.

I fully agree with hunkaman & jjr. First Thing buy Emergency Road Service! I use Good Sams. No mention of the condition or mileage of your rig but that's a heck of a first time trip! You won't have any trouble driving it. Most times you forget your in a MH! When I bought my Grannie last year I bought the ERS before driving home (only 4 hour drive.) On my way home the pitman arm come off requiring a long tow! BIG BUCKS to tow one of these rigs. Good Sam paid the long tow to a repair shop. Need a low rider flat bed tow truck to tow these rigs. As Joe said an inspection is definitely in order! Old cracked belts and hoses, tires, etc. Be prudent and safe! You don't want to breakdown in the boonies some where. Good Luck, Mark PS stop by in Ohio on your way home LOL!

Give yourself longer than you think to travel back home, these are not speed demons and there always seems to be a gremlin or two in something this old. The weather is predicted to be severe, highway 84 is closed east of Portland today due to blizzards, got warm clothes and sleeping bag? $'s for unexpected repairs and perhaps motel if something breaks? As above tools, insurance. A good attitude and karmic credit score are always handy. I don't know if it is just me but the front brakes are touchy (lockup) on slippery stuff, ice, snow, mud, so go slow until you get a feel for them. Its a big package on a small frame so everything happens slower, speeding up, slowing down, climbing hills. I think there are special Guardian Angles dedicated to your first Toyota Motor Home trip but you won't know they were there until later... ENJOY THE JOURNEY and let us know how you are doing. If you take a laptop along you can get tech help from this site as you go.

18 hours ago, linda s said:

Your going to have to do some serious work to get an old grill to work.

Since my last post I actually found a '79 Dolphin (also conveniently in Portland) that I'm looking into getting in addition to this '91. It's a project for sure, but that's what I was after from the get go. I'm gonna keep the '91 to cruise around in while I'm fixing up the old-timer to be a little more livable. I'll definitely be posting photos (and no doubt asking for help) along the way. I appreciate all the help you've offered so far! 

Well then your have all the parts to compare and see if a custom front end is possible. How on earth are you going to get 2 of them home or are you staying in Portland for a while. If so parts for the 79 are much easier to find on the west coast. I've sat in Pick and Pull lots a few times pulling parts for older rigs back east. Pay special attention to the gas tank. Replacements are not available. Have to find a decent one from an old truck if it's badly rusted.

Linda S

17 hours ago, linda s said:

How on earth are you going to get 2 of them home or are you staying in Portland for a while.

Good question! I'm talking to the dealership about shipping the '91 and then possibly flying out there to pick up the '79 next month. There's a guy in Montana with a 1-ton axle that I may swing through and pick up on the way back, but other than that I'm (naively) hoping that it won't need too many parts, at least right away. Most of the work is cosmetic - which, for me, is the fun part. 

Thanks for the tips, y'all. I've already got an RV mechanic lined up to inspect the rig, so hopefully he'll catch anything before I hit the road. But I'll definitely look into ERS as well. If time allows, im hoping to take a southerly route back east to avoid weather...and, sadly, mountains. Other than that, I'm just preparing for the worst, hoping for the best and keeping the vibes high. 

I have Good Sam's towing insurance.  I almost had to use it last summer in British Columbia on Highway 5 between Hope and Merritt.  I had an electrical problem that I was able to find only because my guardian angel was with me.  That would have been a very expensive tow.  

Do you know if the furnace works?  How old is the coach battery because without a good battery the furnace will not run.  

I would also carry 5 gallons of gasoline with me on the rear bumper.  You are going to be going through some very sparsely populated areas in questionable weather.  If worse comes to worse, you can always find a parking spot and run the engine to keep from freezing to death.   

Pick up a carbon monoxide detector so that you can sleep knowing that you are not headed for a nice long dirt nap.  

Carry a lot of very warm clothing, a sleeping bag, food, and water.  Enough for several days in case you really get stuck somewhere.  

2 hours ago, Bob C said:

If worse comes to worse, you can always find a parking spot and run the engine to keep from freezing to death.   

Pick up a carbon monoxide detector so that you can sleep knowing that you are not headed for a nice long dirt nap.  

Carry a lot of very warm clothing, a sleeping bag, food, and water.  Enough for several days in case you really get stuck somewhere.  

Speaking of preparing for the worst... ;)

Not too sure about the furnace, or battery for that matter. I got a pretty exceptional deal on this thing, so even if it requires some work I'm sure I'll come out on top. Provided I don't starve/suffocate/freeze to death before I get back. ?

Batteries can be tested but if you need some I always buy mine at Walmart. Deep cycle for the coach and engine batteries. I try to get the Maxx if they have it. If the furnace doesn't work pay the price and find an RV park to stay at where you can plug in. I heat mine just fine with a $10 electric heater also from Walmart . You are headed south. Probably won't need to do that every night but in a pinch safe is better.

Linda S

Right, totally. Gotta love that Walmart return policy. :) 

I actually found a pretty decent rate ($850) to ship the RV coast to coast, so I may just end up doing that and be done with it. It would cost me nearly that much in fuel/airfare/various travel expenses (not factoring in any 'unknown' expenses) to get out there and drive it back. Might be the way to go... 

Age and experience has made me cynical of "decent rates"  "Great Prices" and such.  I would search the web for Shipping auto ripoffs,   shipping car scams etc before I signed anything.

Hope I'm  wrong.   Jim

if your shipper is reputable and cost effective, you may give that option some thought. of course you may miss the opportunity to have some really interesting stories to tell about your cross country " Maiden voyage" that you may find amusing...5 years later.  lol.  whatever you decide, be careful and wish you all the best.  joe from dover

@jjrbus I'm actually buying the rig from a dealer out in Vancouver who was able to arrange something with their transporter. They work with a lot of auto auctions around the country, one of which is 30 minutes from my place in PA, so they're going to drop it off there. So, really, the "deal" is coming from the fact that the dealer is using their clout to arrange this, and not from some sketchy second-rate transport service. I appreciate your cynicism though. :)

@hunkaman That same thought actually crossed my mind, but I figure if I get it shipped here I will still have the opportunity to have a memorable maiden voyage when I do finally set off. It would just be under less risky circumstances. So, instead of "I'll never forget that time I broke down crossing the Cascades when they were getting record snowfall and had to eat my own arm to survive" it might be more like "I'll never forget all of the beautiful vistas I saw while on my trans-Canadian voyage". Which I'm okay with. ;) 

Cheers, guys! 

another thought on ERS.  the insurance policy i have on my rig includes the following: $250.00 towing per disablement. $100.00 per day for a max of 10 days emergency expenses ( hotel ). transportation expense $100.00 per day /$3000.00 max (car rental)  as well as electronic equip.( stereos, gps, laptops, tv's, digital cameras etc. ) coverage to $2500.00. other media (tapes, discs, etc.) $200.00. motor home contents, $5000.00 less $50.00 deductible. as well as your normal collision, uninsured motorist, liability, medical etc.  glass coverage, no deductible. no deductible for non collision repairs. this policy cost $210.00 per year. to me spending more money on a separate ERS policy would only be beneficial if it covered way more than what is already covered in my vehicle policy. something to consider.   joe from dover

I have an ERS ryder on my State Farm auto ins.  My autos rarely leave town and are newer, low mileage well maintained vehicles.  There is no 800 number to call but I can find my own towing company and know where I will want the vehicles taken and have no issue paying up front and being reimbursed by the insurance company.

My Toy is an old vehicle that had an unknown maintenance history.  It will go many places I am totally unfamiliar with, if it should break down I would be at a loss at where to take it.   Search the internet you say, on my last trip I lost my fuel pump in Hell's Canyon SD,  no internet, no cell phone service and little traffic. The closest town was Newcastle WY and has no tow truck.

Due to a good Samaritan I was able to continue on to Newcastle without a tow.  But could have been a bad experience.  I am as tight with a dollar as can be, but there is smart cheap and maybe not so smart cheap : )

There is a foot of snow in Portland Oregon today, expected to turn into ice over the next few days.things came to a standstill there. The Governor of Oregon has declared an emergency for the entire state, although I think it is a bit over the top but the Portland area is a no go zone currently.  Northern California is dealing with flooding due to snow melt, an avalanche closed highway 62 south of Crater Lake Oregon and chains required many other places. If you are going to drive it home check every road you need to take. Your $850 transport deal sounds like a real time/trouble/ weather saver to me. I know the other day I was saying "its so old expect to have problems" then I picked up my Motorhome magazine that night and remembered that the magazine always has reader reports of all the stuff breaking on their NEW Motor Homes. I think they made stuff stouter in the old days, but still this time of year you run a higher risk of trouble on your maiden voyage.

Don't Let The Excitement Kill Your Dreams.....

......or don't be stupid like me. I have worked on motors all my life. Yesterday I took my first good look under the hood of my new ToyHome. When I went to purchase the ToyHome I was so excited about just sealing the deal and getting it home that I did not follow due diligence. I just hopped in and drove the sixty miles home, and then 20 more miles to store it away in storage. As I was making my maintenance list, photographing and looking around the Itasca yesterday I was slapped across the mug with the stupid hand. Right in front of my face was one of the most nastiest engine Gremlins one could encounter. It was in the form of a V-Groove belt. It had lost about two thirds of the width of the belt, was frayed and dry rotted. Just sitting there looking at me and asking; "How could you be so stupid?"

Be very wary of The Grimlins !!!! 

V-Groove Belt Gremlin 1.jpg

V-Groove Belt Gremlin 2.jpg

V-Groove Belt Gremlin 3.jpg

By the looks of it, that could've turned into a pretty nasty situation. I'll definitely be inspecting the belts/hoses/seals before pushing off, but at this point I'm strongly leaning toward just having it shipped. If for no other reason, the weather has proven to be totally unpredictable this year.

9 hours ago, RedEmerald said:

Don't Let The Excitement Kill Your Dreams.....

......or don't be stupid like me. I have worked on motors all my life. Yesterday I took my first good look under the hood of my new ToyHome. When I went to purchase the ToyHome I was so excited about just sealing the deal and getting it home that I did not follow due diligence. I just hopped in and drove the sixty miles home, and then 20 more miles to store it away in storage. As I was making my maintenance list, photographing and looking around the Itasca yesterday I was slapped across the mug with the stupid hand. Right in front of my face was one of the most nastiest engine Gremlins one could encounter. It was in the form of a V-Groove belt. It had lost about two thirds of the width of the belt, was frayed and dry rotted. Just sitting there looking at me and asking; "How could you be so stupid?"

Be very wary of The Grimlins !!!! 

V-Groove Belt Gremlin 1.jpg

V-Groove Belt Gremlin 2.jpg

V-Groove Belt Gremlin 3.jpg

May not have been like that when you picked it up?   So your claim to superior stupidity may be exaggerated.