Anyone know what's going on with this roof?

RV Noobs

I picked up an 88 Sea Breeze from a neighbor who was moving out of state last minute. I was going to put Eterna Bond tape on the vents when I discovered the sad state of the roof. In the first picture you can see something the previous owner had put on the roof. I know I need to get it off of there but not sure what it is exactly and how to remove it safely. It looks like the roof is a combo of metal in the front and then fiberglass. Can anyone guess from the first picture what the stuff that's peeling off might be? What is a safe method to remove it? I'm worried I will cause more damage. In the second picture you can see some black stuff that's around all the vents etc. Any idea what it is and how to remove it? 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by RV Noobs

It looks like some of very old silver asphalt coating. Not for RV. Plastic putty knife might work.

1 hour ago, WME said:

It looks like some of very old silver asphalt coating. Not for RV. Plastic putty knife might work.

It might be asphalt coating. When I peel it off it looks like there is a thin layer of black fabric in the bottom. I've been using a very dull rounded metal putty knife, but plastic definitely seems like a better choice. 

Edited by RV Noobs

• 4 weeks later...
On September 17, 2016 at 0:57 AM, naganthunter said:

I found bondo all over mine.  Get it all off.  Take the time to do it right.  You'll be thankful you did.

Me too , it's awful, time consuming, and it's all wire wheel. They did Every single seam . It probably would have just been easier to have pulled everything and retaped it . I'm glad I'm not the only one who's had to deal with it. At first I couldn't figure out what it was until I started removing my escape hatch.

hi there, i agree with bicoastaleric- it does appear to be a spray on product by looking at the bottom of the vent-you can see what appears to be over spray.  at any rate - take real good care of your roof. i have discovered that i could have replaced my 1992 v-6 motor in my winnie for less than my new roof cost.  unless you are going to tackle a new roof yourself, plan on it costing 4 to 6 grand, i got 3 estimates from local rv shops and they were all within a few dollars of each other, and the shops all said they won't even start a total re roof until the winter months, the summer season is just to busy for them to dedicate the time involved to do a major roof repair in the summer. if i may add some more advice in my opinion, DO NOT use any product on your roof that is not an rv roof product. if you need to do roof issues do it right and use the proper materials. i do wish you well and hope yours is easily repairable. joe from dover