Just bought ,1990 Itasca Spirit. Prev owner said they won't fill tank because it's outdated. 

Is it expensive to do an upgrade or better to use external tank? 

Thanks from a new membet

If it is an ASME built in tank, it doesn't need re-certification.  It is a life time tank.  Many have issues when taking them to places that don't know anything about them.  I stick to RV places or vendors near where I am camping that know the difference.  Every hardware store employee has the DOT expiration date and valve requirements drummed into them there is often no educating them.

In the Fuel Tanks forum just below there is a stock horizontal propane tank filling problems thread that is likely worth a read.

40 minutes ago, RVdaytrader said:

If you are talking about your horizontal LP tank, it can be recertified...cost me 5 bucks at a LP supplier.

It's a hotizonal tank but the previous owner said he was told the valve didn't meet current requirements so he used an external tank. I'm not sure if he was mistaken or if in fact requirements have changed since 1990. I've had portable tanks recertified but they were only a few years old, not 26.

If it's saddle tank they are exempt ASME tank.Go to an RV place or a camp ground. If you have removable tanks there are two type of removable tanks and there is a good deal of confusion as to  certifaction one can not uses the over fill valve system the other can it is about the valve placement middle  or top but regardless they are exempt.

Itasca's have permanent ASME horizontal tanks. Get rid of the jury rigged extra tank and you should be fine. Wondering where on earth he put the extra tank. Isn't your original tank under the closet floor? Only a small door on the outside to access. You might need help having your RV re-hooked directly to the original tank and have the lines checked. He must have added longer gas line to run it from an external tank. Best to be safe if your not comfortable doing it yourself and have no experience with gas lines

Linda S

The real reason they are balking at your ASME is most likely the presence of the "Auto Stop" valve which true to its name, when it fails it stops the gas technician fro filling the tank. AutoStops can easily be replaced with standard propane fittings.  I did a thread on it in here...

words of advise, use ebay for parts (will run you about 40 bucks.) drop the tank and use a hydraulic jack to assist, clean the threads of the tank fitting holes well and use pipe tape AND pipe dope rated for propane when screwing the fittings back in. Mine has been working great this summer. still full after several weeks of running the fridge...

13 hours ago, linda s said:

Itasca's have permanent ASME horizontal tanks. Get rid of the jury rigged extra tank and you should be fine. Wondering where on earth he put the extra tank. Isn't your original tank under the closet floor? Only a small door on the outside to access. You might need help having your RV re-hooked directly to the original tank and have the lines checked. He must have added longer gas line to run it from an external tank. Best to be safe if your not comfortable doing it yourself and have no experience with gas lines

Linda S

Hi Linda

The prev owner kept a portable tank inside the shower. He had a hose that he attahed to an extension fron the built in tank.There's still some residual propane in the built in tank that I  used to test the appliances so I  know it works. I'll take it in to the local Chevron Fri and see if they will fill it. I live in a remote rural area so not many options for propane. 

I also need to find a latch of some kind for the door. The one that holds the door open that's attached to the door and front of camper has been removed and I  don't know what was there before or what I  can use. Right now I m using a bungi cord. Any suggestions about where to get some original parts?

Thanks again to all who have replied.

Most of the side doors on almost every RV uses the same type of latch.  You can pick them up at Camping World.  I bought 4 from them and had my local locksmith rekey them.  Many of the older RV's, pickup trucks, and even some garage doors used the same key.

8 hours ago, Lonerock said:

I also need to find a latch of some kind for the door. The one that holds the door open that's attached to the door and front of camper has been removed and I  don't know what was there before or what I  can use. Right now I m using a bungi cord.

Search Camco 44333 on Amazon.  Check offset but if it is like my 87 Itasca, should work.  You can get a key lock as well but I'm not comfortable locking the propane (access).

1 minute ago, Derek up North said:

It seems I read that it's actually illegal to have the propane locked. But since I probably read it on the 'net, it could be incorrect. :)

My experience is admittedly limited but I don't recall seeing a tank access with a lock on anything I've looked at.  So not making definitive statements about it around here even though, this is the web.  If I write it, it must be true.  It's on the web.

" Yes there is a RVIA regulation governing accessibility to LP storage valving that states the shutoff valve must be accessible at all times. That is also the position of the National Fire Association and USDOT. "

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=115007

Still from the net, but sounds plausible. :)

What i was looking for was not a locking latch for the main door or the propane door. I'm looking for the door stop that holds the main door and screen open. The original stop was removed. There are two parts, both of which are missing. One is the stop/latch attached to the outside overhead part of the camper and the other part of the latch is connected to the door. I'm sure there are a number of things I can use to keep the door open (other than the bungee cord the previous owner used) but I  thought I  would try to find the original device. I downloaded the parts list for my Itasca but it doesn't show that part. 

Any suggestions ? Thanks again for the previous advice on the propane tank.

JR Products 10245 is a stainless steel baggage door catch.  The ones on mine were cheap plastic.  These are far sturdier and work well.  $7.91 with Prime shipping on Amazon for a 2 pack.  I replaced every one on mine with these.
  Any RV place should also have something like it, even if it is just plastic.

Hang on a sec.  I'm just getting you are talking about the entry door in a post about the propane tank.  Various options.  I'll list a couple and you can see if that is what you are looking for.

Edited by Back East Don

After looking at some of the choices I  found JR Products 10535 3 inch Metal/Metal C-Clip Style Door Holder which looks like it might be the easiest  to use.

I just bought the1990  Itasca Spirit a few days ago and for the most part it's in good condition. It has a v6 auto with 89,000 on it and the interior is in good shape. I used to have a 5th wheel and it had the identical overall measurements for the camper part, excluding the overhead section. I wanted something more compact with a shorter turning radius than my 18' Prowler lite towed by my crew cab 2004 Tundra. I rarely camp in campgrounds and prefer to find remote spots on forest service or blm land. I needed something i can maneuver in fairly tight spaces and my 20' Itasca I  think will give me that along with enough power to handle steeper grades. I've taken out the table like i did in my 5th wheel since i never use it and instead made 2 -19"x60" plywood pieces that slide next to the seats should i need them for the bed. I'm trying to create as much open space as possible. Hopefully there will be enough floor space for my 17 yr old lab/chow/great dane to sleep. Looking forward to getting plenty of good advice on this forum to help me along the way. I'm very impressed with all of the help and suggestions from the people on this forum so far.It's really nice to have this resource.

Absolutely amazing shape for a dog that size/Age.

Had to put my old shepherd down at 15, she had gone blind, deaf, and lost hind legs some times but she fought the vet when we took her in to be put down. I often wonder how much longer she would have lived. Great looking dog you have there..

Edited by Totem