Some electrical questions on my new-to-me rig

systematical

Trying to make sense of the electrical in this thing. I previously posted some questions (

1) Now I am wondering how I plug this into my homes electrical. I think I found the shore power line (see picture 3 below) which is currently connected up to the solar power internally. Perhaps I should dig around for another line. This sucker looks like a 220v, is there an adapter I can use to safely go into a 110v outlet?) 

2) I am likely going to just replace the inverter (see picture 2 below) most of the inverters I've seen online have standard 110v outlets on them, this seems to go into a electrical panel though (see picture 1 below). Where would I get an inverter like that?

IMG_20160620_193625145.jpg

IMG_20160620_193532098.jpg

IMG_20160620_194229556.jpg

Edited by systematical
link

I'm pretty sure this is a "converter" not an inverter.  It converts 120 volt to 12 volt.  Also part of this thing is your 110 volt panel with circuit breakers.  Most RV stores will have an adapter for the end of the power cord to allow you to plug into a regular household outlet.  Another also...taking everything apart at the same time can lead to overload and, eventually, giving up on the motorhome.  I'd tackle one project at a time and finish it before going on to anything else.

John

I think picture 1 is a converter, picture 2 is an older inverter, and it's difficult to tell what the connections are in picture 3.

What do you mean when you say shore power is connected up to solar power internally? Solar power usually goes into a controller, which connects to and charges your batteries. The batteries supply 12V and feed into an inverter for 120V.

EDIT: Your batteries are probably physically cabled into the converter, since the converter can charge batteries when on shore power. If it's like my converter, that set of fuses is where the 12V is distributed around the coach.

Edited by Kale

I want to connect it up to my houses power to make sure everything is in working order. The batteries go into the inverter (which doesn't work) from there the inverter connects into that panel and I am pretty sure that 220 is connected to the panel.

I think I might be able to disconnect the 220v in pic 3 and plug that in to my house. I'll wait for a response before trying that as I'd hate to noob this up.

You don't have 220 anywhere. That plug is a 30 amp RV plug and you can find adapters for it so you can plug into your house power at any RV store and lots of Walmarts. Plug 220 into your camper and all your systems will go up in smoke

Linda S

I kind of got lost in all the posts so not sure what the ultimate question is.  You show two different things in the photos.  One is a combo converter/power-center that makes DC into AC and also distributes AC in the coach if you plug into "shore power."  The other photos is an inverter, that makes 120 volts AC from 12 volts DC and is a "hard wire" version.  That is why you see no outlets built into it.  Some inverters come with no outlets, some with JUST outlets, and some are rigged for hardwire and with a few outlets included (like my Ramsond Sunray).  The AIMs inverters I mentioned to you will just have outlets and no hard-wire function.  Hard-wire is usually just in the bigger inverters and your Trace/Xantrex is really a 3000/6000 watt inverter by advertising standards used today.

Plugging your power cord into the outlet in the RV is a common trick more often used for onboard generators it is a simple transfer switch. I would guess they wired the outlet  it to the inverter (black box) The tan box is the load center/converter it is part 12 volts and part 120 volts. Behind the front panel lives the converter that is what runs the lights and charges the battery. The inverter is an added attraction and if it is wired into the system with out provisions to switch off the converter it will produce diminishing returns because while it is using battery power it will also try to recharge them. If you unplug the power cord it will plug into a standard 120 volt 30 amp RV outlet.giving you AC power for the outlets and the converter/charger. I would suggest you have someone local that knows wiring to have a look at it to make sure it is safe.If the inverter is toes up you still should be able to plug into your house with an adaptor on your 30 amp cord that is presently plug into the box in the RV

Maineah, that might not be a bad idea as I am completely new to this. I do know an electrician and a guy from my softball team owns an RV so I think I'll contact one or both of them to give me a crash course. Thanks for all the replies.

the solar modification creates confusion.   The power plug looks like a standard RV plug - 110 VAC  30 amp.

The solar panels should have a controller which I guess is the second box.   Since it is not wired to anything I can only guess.   

Edited by DanAatTheCape