1985 4spd manual.

It's still sitting in the shop due to the delay in getting a new emergency brake cable. Have hardly even driven the thing but from what little I did, it started right up. Ran smooth and was able to get on the freeway OK.  As soon as it gets back with fresh brakes, new tires, diff and tranny oil change, I get to go to work;-)

Right now I think I know what I want to do to it first but am wondering if I am going off the deep end. My thinking is that I want to be able  to simply drive it anywhere.  OTOH, the PO put what he called a crate engine in 6 years and 2K miles ago. Appears to be a long block and given that it sat for the past 3 years yet starts and runs fine I am hoping that it actually was a NOS part that was sitting around. The thing that bugs me however is that it was only a $1800 part. Perhaps in 2010 that was in the ballpark?  Anyone know,

Here is what I want to order and do.

1 OES Thermostat $20.25
1 for the thermostat o-ring seal $2.65
1 OES Radiator hose kit (with clamps) $72.00
1 Heater Hose Kit $71.00
1 Radiator Cap $11.00
1 Throttle body / IAC coolant by-pass hoses $54.00
6 Spring Clamps $18.00
1 PCV valve and PCV grommet set $12.00
1 PCV Hose and spring clamps $20.00
1 Vent hose and spring clamps $20.00
1 Auxillary air valve hoses (throttle body to aux. air valve, air valve to upper plenum) $55.00
4 Spring Clamps $5.00
1 Power steering to intake vacuum lines $12.00
1 Oil drain plug w/ gasket $6.00
1 Toyota OEM Oil Filter $7.50
1 Sil-Glyde $6.75
1 KIT 2 V/C gasket set (billet half moons + grommets + acorns + pcv grommet) $65.00
1 Oil cap gasket $2.50

What do you think?  (I realize the v/c gasket set is spendy but in includes billet machined plugs and I want to stop the leaks.)

Wade

What do I think?   First there are Toyota pickups all over the planet that have suffered extreme abuse and like the energizer bunny just keep going!

2nd thought a new small motorhome costs in the neighborhood of $60,000 and up, mostly up.  The first 2 or 3 years a new one will depreciate about 25%. That is $15,000 and up, and again mostly up.

So I can have a unique little RV and a really cool forum with like minded forumee's for less than the depreciation on a new one! 

An interesting experience is to go hang around an RV service center and listen to the people there gripe about their shinny new RV's!

http://www.ripoffreport.com/c/63/automotive/rv-dealers

Thats what I think                                                                            Jim  SW FL

Edited by jjrbus

There were a couple 22re "re-builders" selling them online for $1800 out of Seattle ...they had terrible BBB reports. Turns out rebuilding a 22re is a VERY detailed job if to be done to tolerances accepted by Toyota and takes months to do right with proper machinists; These tolerances are the sort that the list above isn't going to help.

I would run it for at least a few trips before dumping cash replacing things to see if it falls apart because the crate 22re has a nasty reputation in the overworked underpaid overheated torture chamber that is the motor home.

3 hours ago, Totem said:

There were a couple 22re "re-builders" selling them online for $1800 out of Seattle ...they had terrible BBB reports. Turns out rebuilding a 22re is a VERY detailed job if to be done to tolerances accepted by Toyota and takes months to do right with proper machinists; These tolerances are the sort that the list above isn't going to help.

I would run it for at least a few trips before dumping cash replacing things to see if it falls apart because the crate 22re has a nasty reputation in the overworked underpaid overheated torture chamber that is the motor home.

Today I actually talked to the mechanic that did it from the 6 year old receipt in the cab;-)  Good news bad news. He actually remembers the job. Said he was surprised at how nice it moved the coach about. He thought it was a pretty good little unit. Not his typical kind of job though as he builds extreme performance diesels as his specialty. The bad news is that he got the motor from O'Reiley.

At this point I'm going to just hope that as it did make 2k miles and survive 3 years of being parked and does not make any funny noises and makes good power that it will be OK.

Will justify my emotional purchase as if it craters at least the next engine will have new rubber;-)  Probably not the wisest decision I have made but as jjrbus points out this should be pretty darn nice unit for what we have into it.  Kind of hard to get anything even close to as good without spending a whole lot more money.

Wade

20R and 22r engines are pretty much "bullet proof". The "e" just denotes its fuel injected.

Many of the old Toyotas go over 250K and still run fine. If the engine runs good, with no obvious problems, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I  had a 22-re in one of many Toyotas . they were all bought new .one of them started to have a slight knock at around 70 mph .motor had 250000 miles on it .when I tore down the  motor to put a new crank and rod and main bearings . come to find out .when they built the motor at the factory they installed the center main bearing in backwards  so from day one the center main bearing never got any oil ran threw it .I ran fine for 250000 miles . that shows you how tough these little motors are

I have a four door Tacoma 4x4 v6 that has 251000 miles on it now and it still runs fine .my mini has 45000.and my 1990 Toyota pickup has 109000.i just ordered a new Tacoma 4x4 four door we'll see how many miles I can rack up on that one.

On 2016-06-10 at 5:00 PM, Wade said:

Today I actually talked to the mechanic that did it from the 6 year old receipt in the cab;-)  Good news bad news. He actually remembers the job. Said he was surprised at how nice it moved the coach about. He thought it was a pretty good little unit. Not his typical kind of job though as he builds extreme performance diesels as his specialty. The bad news is that he got the motor from O'Reiley.

At this point I'm going to just hope that as it did make 2k miles and survive 3 years of being parked and does not make any funny noises and makes good power that it will be OK.

Will justify my emotional purchase as if it craters at least the next engine will have new rubber;-)  Probably not the wisest decision I have made but as jjrbus points out this should be pretty darn nice unit for what we have into it.  Kind of hard to get anything even close to as good without spending a whole lot more money.

Wade

Drive more worry less. I haven't sold a Toyota yet that had less than 280K miles on it.

• 4 months later...
On 6/10/2016 at 7:36 AM, jjrbus said:

What do I think?   First there are Toyota pickups all over the planet that have suffered extreme abuse and like the energizer bunny just keep going!

2nd thought a new small motorhome costs in the neighborhood of $60,000 and up, mostly up.  The first 2 or 3 years a new one will depreciate about 25%. That is $15,000 and up, and again mostly up.

So I can have a unique little RV and a really cool forum with like minded forumee's for less than the depreciation on a new one! 

An interesting experience is to go hang around an RV service center and listen to the people there gripe about their shinny new RV's!

http://www.ripoffreport.com/c/63/automotive/rv-dealers

Thats what I think                                                                            Jim  SW FL

omg , lmao , exactly what i thought as i just bought an 86 Escaper , now transmission needs work , 2 years after its last time !!!,

still cheaper , next to work on engine , 2 cylinders = low compresion !