Looks like the entire exhaust system needs to be replaced from the catalytic converter back.  My options are to DIY or have it done.   Normally I would not touch an exhaust system but replacing everything may not be so bad?

So any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, input, comments, wisdom or wise cracks would be greatly appreciated.  A good joke might help out also.   

I think I am going to name my Toy POP'$ it is an abbreviation.            Jim 

Go to an independent shop that has a tube bender and have a custom system made from 2" tubing. Use a good aftermarket muffler.

I did my exhaust last year.  Ordered the parts thinking I could get the misc pieces fabricated locally.  Once the parts came in, I figured out if was going to be more of a pain than I initially figured.  To start the intermediate pipe I thought was long enough came up short and the hangers ended up in the wrong places. 

Went to a local shop that has a very good reputation for work and price.  I told him the issue with the extended nature of the rig.  I told him I could get all the various parts but would end up just a bit short in the pipe connecting to the cat and then that extended tail piece.  So I asked him for a price to fabricate the whole thing.  His answer startled me a bit. He said I would be better off using the Walker parts I could and then he would fill in the rest hangers and all.  I ordered the Walker 18204 muffler, 35489 bracket, 44841 tail pipe and 43959 intermediate pipe.  Total cost was less than $100 for the parts and he charged me just a bit over $100 to install it including fabricating the extensions I needed and welding on hangers in the correct places.  I couldn't of been happier with the work and the price.  Bonus was I didn't have to do the work myself.

Edited by Back East Don

My rig had a custom exhaust on it when I got it, made by a local place with a pipe-bender. It melted a huge hole right through the black-water tank.  Lot's of fun to fix.  If I had to put a new system on - it would be with bendable SS pipe and a SS muffler.  I don't want to go through all the work of making a custom system just to have it rot off in 3 years.  

My local shop did a system for me. SS 2" pipe to the muffler and 2.5" from the muffler back, outlet behind the rear wheel. A SS muffler. No rot, he fabed a simple heat shield to protect the spare tire. The tanks were 4" from the pipe.

Thanks for the responses,  I do not know what I was thinking I really do not want to crawl around under the coach trying to hook up a system.  At times I post something and read it later and think, that's a dumb idea.    

Leaves me with a few question though, what brand is a "good" muffler, I have no idea?   How much did you spend, ball park is ok.

As to brands, I've no real opinion.  I initially looked into finding the OEM but it came up as obsolete.  Perhaps your V6 might be different.  The Walker I ended up with was from their SoundFX line and I was reluctant thinking it was going to be louder.  Good news, it wasn't.  Not sure how different yours is from mine but I found the Walker exhaust really cheap.  So cheap I was ready to abandon it entirely and go with the full custom.  The guy at the shop I went told me the reason he suggested not to was mostly due to the long length.  He said it would be a huge pain for him to fit it properly and less work and cheaper to just weld up the Walker parts and fabricate the missing bits.  So I went in ready to spend some dough and came out really pretty cheap.  About $220 for everything, parts from Amazon and the rest custom. 

I got a tailpipe at a local guy who has the pipe bending machine.  As for a muffler, toyota used these engines in other vehicles- I don;t think you will have trouble matching one up.  Bet a same year or close 4runner muffler will work just fine. 

• 1 month later...

Another day mostly wasted, long story, has to do with wire terminals.    Took a ride to a recommended Minekey place and they cannot work on the Toy.  Minekey sent me to Muffler Man and the Toy will not fit on their lift!   Only one place in the area that is a muffler shop and has outside lifts and rumor has it he is outrageously expensive, will give him a try tomorrow.  

17 hours ago, jjrbus said:

the Toy will not fit on their lift!

Sounds like the problem that I had when looking for a place to put on new tires. Luckily I found an alignment shop nearby that has a larger lift. Also, I recommend checking out truck/bus repair places too.

I'm replacing my entire exhaust system next Tuesday at the same shop... With how much business I'm giving them, I wonder if they have a frequent spender card.

Thanks for the responses!  My Toy would not fit in the bay for a wheel alignment, I was sent to an ancient shop in the city and they did the alignment in the driveway without a lift.  One of those old time places with old guys where you feel comfortable and only ???? I think $55.

So the exhaust, an old time shop Waynes Mufflers.  Been there 40 years and started the shop in his 3rd year of High School.  Another of those I am in the right place experiences. He spent alot of time explaining things and what he would do if it was his. The exhaust had been altered from the muffler back, likely by national.  I needed a new muffler and pipe running to passenger side from driver side.  He recommended 2" muffler and pipe with a 6" muffler. The OE was 1 1/2".  A long run with a fair amount of bending, a bit of welding and cobbling hangers.

Totaled out to $266 and he did a little extra welding for me for no charge.   Not dirt cheap and not waaay too much.                       Jim

The three shops I've took mine to have all been able to deal with lifting the motorhome.  The transmission shop was the shortest building out of all of them but the ceiling certainly had enough clearance and the lifts could handle trucks.   The muffler shop I went to was the tallest.  One huge overhead door that must be at least 4 cars wide and could fit a semi trailer tall.

Even the annual state inspection.  I take the RV to a inspection station that does trucks.  While many garages might be able to fit it in the bay, I pull up to this place and my RV feels tiny around the big trucks.  Also super easy to navigate in and out and typically shorter lines.

Glad it got done and I don't think the price is out of order for custom work.  Heck, you might just pull this off.

i had a Napa shop put in all new from header on.. was $278.. problem was they re-used that last section that had come from after the muffler.

they put SS muffler and piping on everywhere else and sure enough that original chunk from the exit of the muffler rotted off and fell off while on a road trip... the hot exhaust was now ejecting directly on the pumpkin and just below it the bushing to the new Hellwig swaybar i installed and melted the bushing right out of its collar.

I wrote to Hellwig and they sent me a new bushing free of charge. I went to OReilly's  and grabbed several 2" pipe sections and fabbed up the piece and shape I needed and welded that piece together well in the comfort of my garage. Next I jacked up the RV and removed the rear wheels (I rotated them while in this project) and while the wheel well was exposed welded on my newly built section of pipe to the muffler eject port. I then installed 2 hangers and ratcheted them tight as the dickens all for $36. On its maiden voyage it got a trip to the oil shop to replace rear diff oil.