ad revenue AND humor value, i like it

altho I suspect the folks paying Greg to advertise their $899/month RV sites ain't gonna be getting a lot of business out of THIS crowd.  sheesh.  my MORTGAGE wasn't that much back when I had one.  did they maybe get confused between Toyota" and "Sprinter"?/?;)

When I started RVing in earnest in 99 it was easy to find free and inexpensive places to stay.   Slowly that has changed.  RV park owners are out in force against any place an RVer can stay for free.

I can almost quote the one park owner.  "These people are driving $100,000 rigs, they can easily afford $40 a night!"     Leaving FL several years back I stayed at a hotel, one of those cheap fleabag places.   It was cheaper than the local Executive Class A RV Resort and Spa.   

I do part time work for a camp ground and I can tell you it is a great deal of hard work. I know the owner and we are good friends his rates are in the $40+ range he has owned the camp ground for 8 years and two of the 8 he actually made money. Nice camp grounds are expensive to own the rough ones may make a little money.

From what I see that people do to campgrounds, I know it is NOT a business I'd never want to be involved in. $40 a night for a non-government supported place with AC power sounds like a bargain.

We avoid campgrounds like the plague if they have power and hook-ups.  We pay $11-$13 a night at most State campgrounds in the Michigan upper peninsula, and $10 at one of the many Federal rural campgrounds (senior discount).  Most of the state campgrounds have volunteer host families  that live there all season and keep an eye on the place (no pay but free camping).  These hosts seem to love it. I'd hate it.  Yes, they get to meet some really neat people and also get to meet a lot of bad ones.

Yes we have several state and federal parks in Maine. I would say in general most people like to stay some where they can plug in run the AC have a bath house,store pool etc. I do both and often camp where there is nothing not even a camp ground of any nature for a week or more. No I would not want to own a camp ground it is a lot of work and money for little gain you have to put up with people that expect the Ritz in the woods, drunks, trash etc.What I'm saying if you look at your bill and shake your head you have no ideal of what's involved in running one.

I wasn't trying to suggest the rates were especially unreasonable.....just likely out of the $ realm of many here.  I know they are for me. 

I like JD's plan, with a twist:  out west, there is still plenty of BLM and USFS land on which "dispersed camping" is allowed....the only "cost" is making sure it's no worse for your passing (the idea of "Leave no trace" is a good aspirational goal but kinda falls apart when you're parking an RV....).....reminds me of an old rhyme I learned in Boy Scouts:

Let no one say

and say it to your shame

that all was beauty here

until YOU came

Not sure how many vets are on this site. If you have any type of service connected disability, all federal and most state parks are free admission.

I'm not sure if it covers camping, but might be worth checking into.

I have a letter issued to me by the VA. I've never used it but keep it in my glove box.

We go to a number of state camp ground in the New England area but the biggest issue for us is that they are very popular.  Many require you book 6 months in advance and they all book through ReserveAmerica's web service.  So I start booking for the summer in Dec.  The beach sites are so popular that you have to log onto the web site just before 10am 6 months to the day and even then, pick 2 or 3 camp sites and then exactly at 10, click reserve.  Just don't be surprised to get a site reserved message as others are also trying to book too.  Sites without electric are as low as $14 a night.  Scusset was just completely redone so that every site has electricity now but it has gone from difficult to reserve to near impossible.  The most expensive state site in my area is Hammoasset Beach in CT but it is very well maintained.  The private campgrounds we go to start at about $45 a night and you can end up on top of each other in a very tight park.  State parks have a decent amount of room except a couple but that is because they are basically a parking lot on the beach.  Charlestown Breachway is like this.  Doesn't even have running water anywhere in the park.  You have to be fully self contained to camp there. 

Our first trip of the season is next weekend.  Fisherman's Memorial which isn't on the water but is close to where the charter we've booked launches from.  Nice park but RI is a little pricey as this one with fees cost $79 for 2 nights. Hope it clears up as it has been a crappy week thus far.  Going out for Fluke and maybe Sea Bass but would love to land Monkfish.  You pretty much only catch those accidentally.

Washington state parks has some good discounts for its residents who are disabled and for seniors and low income seniors.  Foster care families can camp for free year around.

Low income is defined as a household income of less than $35k. You either send in proof of a copy of the first page of your income tax or fill out the application with your income, birthdate, etc and get it notarized.

A low income senior gets a 50% discount on camping with a few exceptions (stated in their rules list.)  During the off season you can purchase a season long pass and camp for free. If you want electric it is an extra $10.00 per night. You still have to pay reservation fees.

Many of the county parks in Washington State also honor the State discount passes for seniors, disabled, etc. But check that out county by county before you go camping.

Check with your own state to see if you qualify for any discounted passes.

Sometimes there are even parks across the country that are not federal but will still honor the federal inter-agency senior passes. I know that is true of some day use fees for Oregon State Parks.

Edited by snail powered