I had the dreaded code 52 (knock sensor) so I decided to change the knock sensor harness and after seeing how bad the sensor looked I changed it too.

Since I had the plenum off and was looking at the valve covers I decided to measure the lash - all the intakes were fine and all the exhausts were too tight.

I bought one if the tools which helped on some of the valves but I could not position it on others. On those I used a bent screwdriver.  The curved metal tool which I found frustrating at first actually was quite helpful. The trick is positioning it on the edge of the bucket.  I used a pointed tool and small magnet to extract the adjustment shims. 

I have always been good at math but the first time I tried to replace the shims, 3 did not work out right so another trip to my toyota dealer.

All in all quite a job,  Broke the EGR while removing the plenum so it is blocked off/ disconnected - for now and probably for a while to come.. 

For the record, how many miles on the engine? Any record of the valves ever being checked before? How tight were the exhaust valves? I'm assuming there were no symptoms to warn that they were tight. Do you find it feels any different to drive with correct clearances?

I've got an engine here that had the exhaust valves too tight . John Deere, not a Toyota.   Ran fine but seemed a little low on power. Main issue was it started OK cold but was miserable to start when hot.  Had almost zero clearance on the exhausts when cold and I suppose they were held partially open when hot.  

9 hours ago, DanAatTheCape said:

I had the dreaded code 52 (knock sensor) so I decided to change the knock sensor harness and after seeing how bad the sensor looked I changed it too.

Since I had the plenum off and was looking at the valve covers I decided to measure the lash - all the intakes were fine and all the exhausts were too tight.

I bought one if the tools which helped on some of the valves but I could not position it on others. On those I used a bent screwdriver.  The curved metal tool which I found frustrating at first actually was quite helpful. The trick is positioning it on the edge of the bucket.  I used a pointed tool and small magnet to extract the adjustment shims. 

I have always been good at math but the first time I tried to replace the shims, 3 did not work out right so another trip to my toyota dealer.

All in all quite a job,  Broke the EGR while removing the plenum so it is blocked off/ disconnected - for now and probably for a while to come.. 

And no pictures??   

21 hours ago, Derek up North said:

For the record, how many miles on the engine? Any record of the valves ever being checked before? How tight were the exhaust valves? I'm assuming there were no symptoms to warn that they were tight. Do you find it feels any different to drive with correct clearances?

The engine is at 95k.  Last summer I was in Colorado and overheated - lower radiator hose had come off.  I had done the timing belt job before the trip.  Not sure if the hose came off because it was not properly installed (likely) or if a head gasket or head issue pressurized the cooling system.   Anyway I had to make a work around for the knock sensor issue (code 52) and limped home.   

The lash was quite tight.

here is the BEFORE : 2016-03-04- 95480  checked valve clearance
   in    ex
1 .011  .007
2 .011  .007
3 .009  .005
4 .009  .004
5 .010  .007
6 .011  .002 maybe .003
specs:  intake .007-.011   exhaust .009-.013

Here is the after:   2016-03-29 95480  Replaced knock sensor, knock sensor harness, adjusted exhaust valves.  Broke EGR - it is now blocked, removed water coolant lines to EGR. Cleaned fuel injectors (none were clogged). 
    ex settings after adjustment
1  .011
2  .013
3  .012
4  .013
5  .013
6  .013

AS for how it runs, it does seem stronger now. I am in florida so no mountains here to test it.  I also did so many things it is hard to determine cause effect.  I plan to take a 3 or 4 gas tank trip around florida's state parks to see what the mileage is now.  I am thinking that will be informative.  When I limped back from out west I was getting 12 at the best. Before the trouble I was getting a little better then 14.  I My thoughts are that when I engine is not running "right", one has to push the gas pedal deeper to get the same (prior) performance. 

If you notice cylinder #6 was really tight, 

Yea #6 always seems to be the problem child, because of the extra exhaust heat from the exhaust crossover

Edited by WME

• 2 weeks later...

here are a few pics.....

1_  pic of tools I bought to adjust valves.  The little tool is used to hold the shim bucket down,  It has 2 ends - the larger one gives enough clearance to get the shim out.  When I used the plier  looking thing (it worked on 4 or 5 cylinders - obstructions stopped it on the others) I could use the large end.    On the other cylinders, I had to use a bent screwdriver, use the small end to hold the cup & shim down while I repositioned the screwdriver to compress the shim & bucket enough to get the larger end on the edge of the bucket.

Using the little tool was quite frustrating at first.  But I got the hang of it and found it useful.  Getting the tool to set on the edge of the bucket is the trick.

The round thing is a shim.  I think they are 28mm diameter

P1060042.JPG

P1060044.JPG

P1060045.JPG

Edited by DanAatTheCape

This job, and the tools involved, look very similar to valve adjustment on Toyota's 5SFE, which I did a few years back and documented here. Glad to know this 'cause I'll probably need to adjust valves on my Warrior one of these days...

actually very similar to most any shim-over-bucket arrangement.....I was even able to use the tools I bought for air cooled Yamahas and my '88 Kaw 750 when I did the Taco.