Adding Fans

LotsaKidz

In boondocking, we have to use coach battery powered fans to keep cool. I have a box fan I  plug into the one (!) 12V plug in the back of the coach, set on the counter, and blow toward the rear bed.

But I would also like to have a fan which would blow on the overcab bunk. Has anyone done this? What have you done in your rig, where would you get this type of fan, and how can you wire it in to the coach? I can't even picture a setup like this and how it could work, but I figured some of you have done such things and might be able to advise me or at least offer a vision of how it could work.

My Toy has the rear dinette with the bathroom in the middle, so a portion of the overcab bed is the shared wall to the bathroom, FYI.

Deanne

If you do a quick search on Amazon for 12 volt fan a bunch of options come up.  I have a used a couple of O2 fans for camping at the beach.  This post has some of the links and details.  Parts of this post go off the rails but the basic information is there.  I ended up re-doing the roof and replacing the roof vents with fans units and that is the better although more expensive option.

WalMart sells a 12V fan that oscillates for about $15.00.

It has a large spring clamp or can be permanently mounted. It uses a cigarette lighter plug.

It is a seasonal item, but it seems I remember seeing them lately.

1 hour ago, LotsaKidz said:

In boondocking, we have to use coach battery powered fans to keep cool. I have a box fan I  plug into the one (!) 12V plug in the back of the coach, set on the counter, and blow toward the rear bed.

But I would also like to have a fan which would blow on the overcab bunk. Has anyone done this?

Deanne

We use clip-on fans for our over-cab bed. They are less then $10 each at Walmart for AC powered one.  12 volt units made for RVs are often close to $30.  We use an inverter so we have AC power anywhere we want it when camping in rural areas.  Inverter is on all the time whenever we park. It is wired to all the original AC outlets in the RV.

I use a Fantastic Fan in one of the 14X14 vents that thing moves a lot of air and can be reversed! On low it only draws about 2 amps.

pity Fantastic doesn't make an oscillator....AFAIK, they're the only RV fan manufacturer who is American made....all others are hecho en China.  great customer service too.

JD, that solution is great for someone with enough battery bank.  my inverter uses .6 amps just idling, though....for most folks, 12VDC fans make more sense, since they're something you'll be running 24/7 when you're inside.

There is a light fixture at the foot of the overcab bunk; if I bought a 12V fan and mounted it on the wall there, couldn't I pull the light fixture out and attach the wires from the purchased fan to the light fixture wires? I barely know much about electrical wiring (though I did replace my light fixtures not too long ago), but don't know if this would actually work. There is no cigarette-lighter plug on that end of the coach, that's why I am dreaming up these odd solutions.

5 hours ago, payaso del mar said:

pity Fantastic doesn't make an oscillator....AFAIK, they're the only RV fan manufacturer who is American made....all others are hecho en China.  great customer service too.

JD, that solution is great for someone with enough battery bank.  my inverter uses .6 amps just idling, though....for most folks, 12VDC fans make more sense, since they're something you'll be running 24/7 when you're inside.

No it does not but the air it moves is many times greater just open a window near you and you'll get all the air you need.

1 hour ago, LotsaKidz said:

There is a light fixture at the foot of the overcab bunk; if I bought a 12V fan and mounted it on the wall there, couldn't I pull the light fixture out and attach the wires from the purchased fan to the light fixture wires? I barely know much about electrical wiring (though I did replace my light fixtures not too long ago), but don't know if this would actually work. There is no cigarette-lighter plug on that end of the coach, that's why I am dreaming up these odd solutions.

The cord on the fan is quite long. It will reach your dashboard, where I'm guessing there's a cigarette plug. As long as that plug has power with the engine off, it should work.

Remember, your fan will now be drawing power from your start battery, not the coach.

OK, if you say so.  maybe in a toyhome.  I put a new Fantastic unit into our 21' travel trailer last summer, hoping for that effect, but it doesn't really seem to create a significant draw in through the windows.  I've actually toyed with the idea of making a base and trying to turn one of em into a table fan.

Fantastic fan offers table top fans.  

Fan-Tastic 01100WH Endless Breeze Stand alone Fan

I know a couple of people that use them and they move air really well.  This model draws 1.2 amps on low and 2.6 amps on high.

Depends on what you want but...

While I like the set up I have with the Fan-Tastic vent fans I have, the O2 fans I had prior were hard to beat on a few fronts.  In my case I would use the fan in the berth by just placing it in front of the side window screen.  It sat there without issue and moved a decent amount of air.  Or in front of the sink window screen or the dinette window.  On high it drew less than half an amp and even less on low.  Cheap, did I mention they are about $25.  On power consumption and utility, it is hard to beat.

I go out for days on the beach and I really don't want to have to run the motor to charge the house batteries. I don't have solar and so I am careful with battery consumption.  I still keep 1 in the RV and use it. 

13 hours ago, payaso del mar said:

OK, if you say so.  maybe in a toyhome.  I put a new Fantastic unit into our 21' travel trailer last summer, hoping for that effect, but it doesn't really seem to create a significant draw in through the windows.  I've actually toyed with the idea of making a base and trying to turn one of em into a table fan.

Works for me, you'r results may very. Works great in my 18' tow behind enough that I got rid of the stupid range hood and just clean the fan blades once in awhile.

dammit, I just got done with cleaning/painting/refurbing the range hood for the traila and you go reminding me about the truth of the futility of my efforts.  ;)  at least now it do look purtier. (IPO, black paint, and a brush, not a pretty combination..........)

actually, now that I think of it, is there any range hood aside from commercial ones that moves significant air, RV or home? (more a rhetorical Q, not looking for one)

I've also toyed with idea of mounting Fantastic unit in window as an exhaust fan.....the air flow through the vent (or lack thereof) may be part of the issue in the traila.  I rarely use my A/C at home because I use a good quality (not the $20 HellMart unit, think $50+, 15 lbs, 8" wide box, and 3 conductor cord) 20" box fan in a window as an exhaust fan.  cardboard baffle over the rest of the opening and it rocks....pulls cool air in nicely through all windows.  I open up house when it cools down in eve (usually 30 degrees F difference in desert between highs and lows) and leave it on all night, sleep comfy and house will stay cool-ish if I close it up in the morning.  I only use a small window unit in the bedroom during the monsoon season.

Edited by payaso del mar

I use the 10$ Walmart oscillating fan but its not my fav. The favorite honor now belongs to a Ryobi drill pack powered fan that also has a plug so it can run off of AC also though I never do; I just charge the large lithium drill pack and its good for like 12 hours run time. pack doubles as a drill pack and powers lights etc. best part you can put the fan wherever you want and no wires. I hate saying it but I am thinking about getting a Ryobi tattoo lately. love their stuff. 

Edited by Totem

not a bad idea.  the fan, I mean....tattoo is up to you.  battery pack would give it a nice heavy stable base.  i'd look into it except all my other cordless tools are Dewalts so i'd have to buy all new battery packs.

they make some little generators I was looking at as an alternative to a Honda/Yam to run my camper AC, but the reviews were disappointing....don't think those live up to their usual standard.

there is also a special edition version of the Ryobi drill fan that has a water pump and attaches to a standard home depot or other bucket; turning the fan into a cool moisture air mister and fan. - best suited to use outside but still awesome in dry hot heat like that of mexico.

My ceiling fan is attached to the light over my dinette. The hole up there only had 110 wiring for an AC unit. You have to take the light fixture off to connect it but yes it will work. The light was reattached and that still works too.

Linda S