A wannabe ToyHome sojourner

Jarhead

I have done my due diligence and found Toyota to be the best fit for me...size, comfort, milage, reliability...Now I am looking for a Toyhome and planning on RVing full time...After reading a lot of the posts in this forum I have been very impressed with the friendly sharing of knowledge and advice for those starting a new life on the road...Suffice it to say, I lost my wife last year and after considerable thought, I decided to hit the road, see this wonderful nation, meet new people, and confront and learn new challenges that living on the road offers...I cannot think of a better way to express my strong desire to visit many of those I served with years ago that are scattered all across America...I'm looking for a Toyhome under $20,000...What is the best RV club to join for campgrounds, fees, and services..? Whatever advice you can give this newbie would be humbly appreciated...Thank you  

Linda, Thank you...I'm not retired from the service...served my 4 and out...Will check this out for sure, as mentioned earlier...Also, I would like to know which model is best for reliability under $25000.00...Thanks again for the reply....

IMHO, which will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks only if you also bring along $4:

when you say "reliability", this will mostly be the function of the Toyota part, not the motor home part.  IOW, all motorhome brands should be relatively the same on road reliability; the variations will come more from the condition of the individual example you're looking at.  be flexible on brands, DON'T buy the first one you look at,  and look at how well the interior setup works for you.  ideally try to find one with the 22RE four banger for max reliability, altho the 3,0 V6 is not a horrible engine.  i'd also look for manual trans given how much of your power and mpg the slushbox eats, but be flexible since there appear to be more automatics out there.

when you get one, go through the complete cooling system (belts, hoses, cap, T'stat, water pump if needed) and the ignition system, and be sure your tires are good.  this eliminates many of the most common sources of on-road issues.  Firestone and suchlike tire stores will often do an undercar check for free....the obvious expectation is that you'll have em do the work if(when) they find anything, but if you're not a mechanic yourself, it's good to have an experienced set of eyes look over the suspension/brakes/steering.

When you look at the tires, first check tread and then check the manufacture date on the tires.  Most of the tires get unsafe due to age before the tread is worn off.  I looked at a couple of MH's with tires that looked good but the tires were over 10 years old.     The one one that I bought had 5 year old tires and after 2 years I replaced them even though the tread looked excellent.    

There are several floor plans that seem to be common with every builder. Sit in a couple of different models and see see what feels good to you.  

Check every appliance to make sure that they all work.    Do NOT take the seller's word for the working condition.  Replacing a trashed refrigerator will set you back over $1000 if you have a shop do the work.  

Welcome Marine!   Why do you need a Toy, just dig a hole to sleep in:rolleyes:

I have never been able to use a military campground, don't remember the details, I am not retired military.   I have not belonged to an RV club in a few years and they do vary and one that is good for me will not be good for you, need to do some due diligence on that one.  I did well with Passport America, do a google search for discount camping clubs.

Going through the archives and finding what people are working on is a good way to find what to look for. 

I think the 2 big offenders are tires. Learn to read DOT codes unless you have a strong automotive or tire industry background and feel competent that you can determine the condition of a tire without knowing it's history by merely looking at it. I personally will not use tires over 7 years old and that is tires I  have maintained.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?gclid=CJCAhaeE8coCFdgXHwodzmsGhg&techid=11&affiliate=HM5&s_kwcid=AL!3756!3!72457434373!b!!g!!_cat:tires&ef_id=VosjaQAABNlcewtu:20160212010554:s

2nd is Air conditioning,  just needs a shot of gas the owner says.  If it needs gas it is broke and needs to be fixed, it will likely be very expensive.

Another is well maintained all service done.  No receipts, I aint buying it!

Jim H 2/3 67/68

Be patient. The saying is "You will kiss a lot of frogs before you find your princess" is very much true when looking for a Toy MH. Simply because the newest toy over 23 years old with some approaching 30 years or even more. How comfortable would you be jumping in a 30 year old car and heading out for, say New York.???

There is a couple who restores Toyota MHs, they seem to go in the $15K range, Linda will know what their current project is.    

FWIW I bought a 12 year old 26ft Class A for less. It has much more room including a bunch of storage. Downside is the 3-4 mpg hit.

P.S. The Military Fam camps are for active duty and retires only.

3 hours ago, payaso del mar said:

IMHO, which will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks only if you also bring along $4:

when you say "reliability", this will mostly be the function of the Toyota part, not the motor home part.  IOW, all motorhome brands should be relatively the same on road reliability; the variations will come more from the condition of the individual example you're looking at.  be flexible on brands, DON'T buy the first one you look at,  and look at how well the interior setup works for you.  ideally try to find one with the 22RE four banger for max reliability, altho the 3,0 V6 is not a horrible engine.  i'd also look for manual trans given how much of your power and mpg the slushbox eats, but be flexible since there appear to be more automatics out there.

when you get one, go through the complete cooling system (belts, hoses, cap, T'stat, water pump if needed) and the ignition system, and be sure your tires are good.  this eliminates many of the most common sources of on-road issues.  Firestone and suchlike tire stores will often do an undercar check for free....the obvious expectation is that you'll have em do the work if(when) they find anything, but if you're not a mechanic yourself, it's good to have an experienced set of eyes look over the suspension/brakes/steering.

Perhaps I would be better served just buying a new Toyota motor home...I'm mechanically challenged with little skill understanding a good cooling system from one that may be on its last legs... Ignition system, generator, etc no clue...Perhaps I should rethink hitting the road with so little knowledge... Automatic vs manual, 4 cyl vs 6 cyl, mileage vs power, all a bit overwhelming for a guy that has just maintained and improved his landlocked home...Thanks so much for all the great input...you have given me much to consider...

1 hour ago, Bob C said:

When you look at the tires, first check tread and then check the manufacture date on the tires.  Most of the tires get unsafe due to age before the tread is worn off.  I looked at a couple of MH's with tires that looked good but the tires were over 10 years old.     The one one that I bought had 5 year old tires and after 2 years I replaced them even though the tread looked excellent.    

There are several floor plans that seem to be common with every builder. Sit in a couple of different models and see see what feels good to you.  

Check every appliance to make sure that they all work.    Do NOT take the seller's word for the working condition.  Replacing a trashed refrigerator will set you back over $1000 if you have a shop do the work.  

Thanks for all that good info, Bob...Are RV repairs that expensive..?...Heck, I can buy a small refrigerator new for under 200 bucks...Is there something different with RV reefers..? I totally agree with the tire info...Where is the Mfg date located...?  

1 hour ago, jjrbus said:

Welcome Marine!   Why do you need a Toy, just dig a hole to sleep in:rolleyes:

I have never been able to use a military campground, don't remember the details, I am not retired military.   I have not belonged to an RV club in a few years and they do vary and one that is good for me will not be good for you, need to do some due diligence on that one.  I did well with Passport America, do a google search for discount camping clubs.

Going through the archives and finding what people are working on is a good way to find what to look for. 

I think the 2 big offenders are tires. Learn to read DOT codes unless you have a strong automotive or tire industry background and feel competent that you can determine the condition of a tire without knowing it's history by merely looking at it. I personally will not use tires over 7 years old and that is tires I  have maintained.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?gclid=CJCAhaeE8coCFdgXHwodzmsGhg&techid=11&affiliate=HM5&s_kwcid=AL!3756!3!72457434373!b!!g!!_cat:tires&ef_id=VosjaQAABNlcewtu:20160212010554:s

2nd is Air conditioning,  just needs a shot of gas the owner says.  If it needs gas it is broke and needs to be fixed, it will likely be very expensive.

Another is well maintained all service done.  No receipts, I aint buying it!

Jim H 2/3 67/68

Semper Fi, Jim...Yes, tires are probably the most important consideration where maintenance is concerned...Good info...getting maintenance records is a good idea...lots to consider when buying a pre-owned motorhome...Thanks

Jarhead,

First off, Toyota motorhomes are no longer made.  I think the last one was made in 1993 or 1994 so that means you'll be getting a rig at least 20 years old and maybe older...

You mentioned $20,000.  For $20,000 you can get a very nice used class A motorhome that will have a lot more room and power than a Toyota.  Some very nice class A's are only 3 or 4 feet longer than the biggest Toyota motorhome and have all the bells and whistles.  The bad thing with a class A (even a small one) is the gas mileage which is usually under 10 mpg.  Check eBay for motorhomes for sale or Craigslist and you'll see what you can get for $20,000.  You'll be surprised...

John

1 hour ago, WME said:

Be patient. The saying is "You will kiss a lot of frogs before you find your princess" is very much true when looking for a Toy MH. Simply because the newest toy over 23 years old with some approaching 30 years or even more. How comfortable would you be jumping in a 30 year old car and heading out for, say New York.???

There is a couple who restores Toyota MHs, they seem to go in the $15K range, Linda will know what their current project is.    

FWIW I bought a 12 year old 26ft Class A for less. It has much more room including a bunch of storage. Downside is the 3-4 mpg hit.

P.S. The Military Fam camps are for active duty and retires only.

Well, I ain't kissing no frogs !!! As mentioned earlier, perhaps I would be better served buying a new or newer MH ...I'm ready for the challenge of the open road, but my conservative soul wants reliability first and foremost...reliability in the mechanical realm particularly... Reading as much info I could glean I found Toyota to be the most highly rated MH for reliability....There will be my focus...Thanks for the info and perhaps Linda will advise if that couple has a project for sale...thanks again... 

10 minutes ago, Dolphinite said:

Jarhead,

First off, Toyota motorhomes are no longer made.  I think the last one was made in 1993 or 1994 so that means you'll be getting a rig at least 20 years old and maybe older...

You mentioned $20,000.  For $20,000 you can get a very nice used class A motorhome that will have a lot more room and power than a Toyota.  Some very nice class A's are only 3 or 4 feet longer than the biggest Toyota motorhome and have all the bells and whistles.  The bad thing with a class A (even a small one) is the gas mileage which is usually under 10 mpg.  Check eBay for motorhomes for sale or Craigslist and you'll see what you can get for $20,000.  You'll be siurprised...

John

That's what happens when you assume something...I thought Toyota was still producing the Dolphin...Are there still available parts for Toyota MH's...?...I think I want to start small, learn how to cope on the road, and then maybe transition to a class A...MPG is an important consideration, but so is comfort and livability...Maybe I should consider a Toyota Tundra pulling a 5th wheel...So many options, so little time...I thought I had it all figured out, but find I'm not only a newbie to RVing, but a very uninformed one at that...Thanks for the info, John...

With no RV experience it is generally considered a good idea to start with a used RV.  The thinking being if you are unhappy with a new one the depreciation may force you to keep something you are not happy with.  

Any RV is a rolling conglomerate of systems and parts waiting to malfunction, break or fall off!  Fortunately today with the internet it is fairly easy to find help and guidance.

A dolphin is still made but it is not a Toyota. 

Google RV forums and poke around for a while, see what others have to say.        

When checking Ebay don't go by the prices you see, in the left had column click on completed the prices shown in green are what the units might have sold for!     The prices in black got no bids or offers or did not sell. Even the prices in green the sale might not have completed.  Lots of funny business going on on Ebay!

Semper Fi   Jim

No Dolphins made anymore at all but yes. A used Toyota in good shape is a great way to start. They are pretty dependable, most repairs are not major, and lots of our members have made it to Alaska and back with no problems. Get used to the idea of learning a little more about mechanics though. Big difference when your driving hundreds or thousands of miles instead of just back and forth to work where your regular mechanic is at hand. Also you will be better able to tell if something isn't right. It's an adventure and your going to love it.

Linda S

There were no motorhomes build by Toyota.  The chassis was build by Toyota and someone else added the house on the back.  All of the furnaces, refrigerators, air conditioners, stove tops/ovens, water heaters, water pumps, etc were purchased off the rack from a supplier.  The parts to most of these are still available.

You mentioned that you can buy a small frig for under $200.  That is not an RV unit.  An RV frig will run on LP gas or electricity.  They must be kept relatively level when you run them while parked or they will eventually stop working.

Until I bought my Damon Escaper built on a Toyota chassis, I have used pop-up campers.  I really like the RV much better.  We wake up, spent 5 minutes getting everything secured and drive away.  My wife takes care of the inside stuff and I get the RV off of the leveling blocks, put the electric cord away, move the RV to make a final check that we didn't forget something and then off we go.

10 hours ago, jjrbus said:

With no RV experience it is generally considered a good idea to start with a used RV.  The thinking being if you are unhappy with a new one the depreciation may force you to keep something you are not happy with.  

Any RV is a rolling conglomerate of systems and parts waiting to malfunction, break or fall off!  Fortunately today with the internet it is fairly easy to find help and guidance.

A dolphin is still made but it is not a Toyota. 

Google RV forums and poke around for a while, see what others have to say.        

When checking Ebay don't go by the prices you see, in the left had column click on completed the prices shown in green are what the units might have sold for!     The prices in black got no bids or offers or did not sell. Even the prices in green the sale might not have completed.  Lots of funny business going on on Ebay!

Semper Fi   Jim

Jim...I see that I have much to learn before I take the dive...But take the dive I will, and soon...My research has been narrowly focused on the vehicle, not so much on the esoterica of living on the road...I'll take your welcomed advice and check out those internet sites that provide that information...Never imagined this undertaking would be so challenging, both from a personal viewpoint and basic nuts and bolts stuff...Thought I would just hop in an RV and hit the road Jack...No way...knowledge is power, and I sure need a lot of that...

Thanks, Jim...Semper Fi, my friend...Larry 

9 hours ago, linda s said:

No Dolphins made anymore at all but yes. A used Toyota in good shape is a great way to start. They are pretty dependable, most repairs are not major, and lots of our members have made it to Alaska and back with no problems. Get used to the idea of learning a little more about mechanics though. Big difference when your driving hundreds or thousands of miles instead of just back and forth to work where your regular mechanic is at hand. Also you will be better able to tell if something isn't right. It's an adventure and your going to love it.

Linda S

Thanks Linda...I'm excited, I'm motivated...If I have to learn how to repair and maintain my RV then I will...If it is in a book I can learn it...If it isn't in a book then I have lots of giving folks, like you, to go to for help...Maybe one day I can return the help with some of my own...Larry

46 minutes ago, Bob C said:

There were no motorhomes build by Toyota.  The chassis was build by Toyota and someone else added the house on the back.  All of the furnaces, refrigerators, air conditioners, stove tops/ovens, water heaters, water pumps, etc were purchased off the rack from a supplier.  The parts to most of these are still available.

You mentioned that you can buy a small frig for under $200.  That is not an RV unit.  An RV frig will run on LP gas or electricity.  They must be kept relatively level when you run them while parked or they will eventually stop working.

Until I bought my Damon Escaper built on a Toyota chassis, I have used pop-up campers.  I really like the RV much better.  We wake up, spent 5 minutes getting everything secured and drive away.  My wife takes care of the inside stuff and I get the RV off of the leveling blocks, put the electric cord away, move the RV to make a final check that we didn't forget something and then off we go.

Bob...Thanks for the reply...Again, I assumed all was built by Toyota, thus contributing to the assumption of reliability...Much to learn...

That is one huge RV...Much too big for me at this point...Must have been quite a switch going from a pop-up to a diesel motor home...I still want the comfort and RV's in the 18 to 22 foot range seem like a good fit for me at this time...Thanks again for the info...Larry 

1 hour ago, Derek up North said:

And you'll see them in all A, B & C Class motorhomes and campers.

46 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

I'd like to suggest you read 'Travels with Andy' too.

http://www.andybaird.com/travels/index.html

I found it an enjoyable read even if not about Toyotas.

Ordering those books right now from Amazon...Thanks

Any RV is a rolling conglomerate of systems and parts waiting to malfunction, break or fall off!             love that line!  c'est vrai.

a good place to start if you've never done much mechanics is the famous old Idiot Book, correct name I think is How To Keep Your Toyota Pickup Alive for the Complete Idiot.  you can find it on Amazon in hard copy or there's a link to it online.  geared for folks who are not only complete mech noobs but often artists and heepies and other wholly non-mechanical types.  tons of good diagrams, written in plain-person language, and discusses how to do it w/o special tools.  fortunately, the Toy truck about the time it was last printed happens to be, roughly speaking, the ones that most Toy homes are based on.  even if you get other manuals, start with this one.

On 2/11/2016 at 1:11 PM, Jarhead said:

I have done my due diligence and found Toyota to be the best fit for me...size, comfort, milage, reliability.

When you say you've done your "due diligence", hopefully you've done enough research to realize that many claims about these little RVs are not true.  Especially the ones claiming 20+ MPG. Or the ones saying these Toyotas are "bulletproof" and "last forever."   They can be a handy and fun RV, as long as you realize how underpowered and slow they are.  Also expect around 14 MPG overall with a 20-21 footer with a four-cylinder engine and a little less, on average, with a V6.  You could buy a diesel pickup truck with a slide-on camper with a pop-up roof and get better fuel mileage and drive faster too.  Just things to keep in mind.  My 92 Dodge 4WD full-size extended-cab truck with a Jayco camper got 17 MPG while doing 65 MPH. No Toyota RV in the 20-21 foot range can match that.   Please don't get me wrong.  I have three Toyota RVs so it's not like I don't like them.    I do most all my travel and camping on rural roads.  If I wanted a rig to travel around the USA, I suspect I'd opt for something that could be better at modern highway speeds of 65 MPH or more.  If I was by myself, or just me and my wife - I'd have nothing but a Toyota Chinook.  Very simple built, compact, and able to really get 20 MPG and sometimes a hair more and do 65 MPH pretty easy.  But the Chinook is small and has a pop-up roof.  Really not suitable for more then two people.   I love my 78 Chinook and might be the only US motorhome that Toyota had direct input in building - at least at the start in late 1972.

My Damon Escaper is a Toyota.  It is a 21' built on a one ton Toyota chassis.  That is the same chassis used on all Toyota MH's since 1987 (I believe)  i once went into a campground where the person behind the registration desk was being a PITA toward another camper with an older RV.  I did not want to travel any more that night so I filled out the registration slip as a Damon Escaper and there was no argument.  The RV was built by Damon.  I looked in all of their 1988 advertising that I could find and could not find anything about Toyota based RV's.  The RV does have the Damon name plate near the drivers door.

22 minutes ago, Bob C said:

My Damon Escaper is a Toyota.  It is a 21' built on a one ton Toyota chassis.  That is the same chassis used on all Toyota MH's since 1987 (I believe)  i once went into a campground where the person behind the registration desk was being a PITA toward another camper with an older RV.  I did not want to travel any more that night so I filled out the registration slip as a Damon Escaper and there was no argument.  The RV was built by Damon.  I looked in all of their 1988 advertising that I could find and could not find anything about Toyota based RV's.  The RV does have the Damon name plate near the drivers door.

Nada lists the Damon Escaper series 20 footer, Toyota, starting in 1984 through 1987. Wow I thought I had seen some v6 models but I guess not

Linda S

15 hours ago, jdemaris said:

When you say you've done your "due diligence", hopefully you've done enough research to realize that many claims about these little RVs are not true.  Especially the ones claiming 20+ MPG. Or the ones saying these Toyotas are "bulletproof" and "last forever."   They can be a handy and fun RV, as long as you realize how underpowered and slow they are.  Also expect around 14 MPG overall with a 20-21 footer with a four-cylinder engine and a little less, on average, with a V6.  You could buy a diesel pickup truck with a slide-on camper with a pop-up roof and get better fuel mileage and drive faster too.  Just things to keep in mind.  My 92 Dodge 4WD full-size extended-cab truck with a Jayco camper got 17 MPG while doing 65 MPH. No Toyota RV in the 20-21 foot range can match that.   Please don't get me wrong.  I have three Toyota RVs so it's not like I don't like them.    I do most all my travel and camping on rural roads.  If I wanted a rig to travel around the USA, I suspect I'd opt for something that could be better at modern highway speeds of 65 MPH or more.  If I was by myself, or just me and my wife - I'd have nothing but a Toyota Chinook.  Very simple built, compact, and able to really get 20 MPG and sometimes a hair more and do 65 MPH pretty easy.  But the Chinook is small and has a pop-up roof.  Really not suitable for more then two people.   I love my 78 Chinook and might be the only US motorhome that Toyota had direct input in building - at least at the start in late 1972.

I'm looking at a 1997 Chinook Concourse SE with the Ford V8...Probably 12 MPG max...What I really like about this model is the seamless fiberglass construction...no leaks ...has a full sized bed with side door access...108,000 miles for under $25,000...21' with canopy, 2 year old tires with low mileage, generator has 516 hrs on it, and solar panels mounted...well maintained with papers...What is your opinion on this model...Thanks, Larry

24 minutes ago, Jarhead said:

I'm looking at a 1997 Chinook Concourse SE with the Ford V8...Probably 12 MPG max...What I really like about this model is the seamless fiberglass construction...no leaks ...has a full sized bed with side door access...108,000 miles for under $25,000...21' with canopy, 2 year old tires with low mileage, generator has 516 hrs on it, and solar panels mounted...well maintained with papers...What is your opinion on this model...Thanks, Larry

The "big" Chinooks certainly have a devoted group of owners. I personally have never owned one. I just have the little Chinooks with the pop-up roof, built on a 70s Toyota truck.  I kind of hate to use generic labels for types of RVs - but will anyway.  My interest is in the smaller type - call them "mini-micro motorhomes" or "mini motorhomes."   No set rules here but for purposes of this discussion -  it goes like this.  Mini-mircros have gross-vehicle-weights of less then 6500 lbs. and engines less then 300 cubic inches or 5 liters.  Going a step up to so-called "mini-motorhomes" - I break them down into two sets.  Those with 302 cubic inch engines or less, or those with MUCH bigger engines.  

Now - on the subject of RVs made by Chinook.  They made micro-minis based on Toyota, Datsun, etc. trucks. Chinook also made RVs based on Chevy Blazers that were as small as Toyota Chinooks but with V8 engines and 4WD.  Then there are the van-based Chinooks like still made today. If I were to get one - something based on a Ford with a 302 V8 or 300 straight 6 engine would be my #1 choice.  That because  they get the best potential gas mileage. Those with Dodge small-block engines are probably #2 on average, and all Chevys as well as Dodges with big engines the worst.

Some of the van-based Chinooks and also the Roadtreks are known for getting pretty good fuel mileage. Up to 14 MPG in best-case runs with smaller engines.  Not too different from some of these Toyotas we discuss here.  But with stop-and-go driving, fuel mileage drops a lot more with the bigger RVs.  

I don't know if I really answered your question or not. I'd love to have a "bigger" Chinook if I ever come across a good buy on one with a reasonably small engine.  Most I've come across have 360 to 460 cubic inch engines which I have no interest in.  Once upon a time they were made with Dodge or Ford straight or slant-sixes.  Or SB V8s.  

By the way, back to "micro-minis" - besides the Toyotas and sometimes Dastuns or Ford Rangers discussed here.  There are a few others based on Chevy Astrovans with 4.3 V6 engines that get fuel mileage pretty much equal to a Toyota  with more power and also - trailer towing capability.  Not easy to find a buy on one though. Something like a Provan Tiger, or Allegro Astro, or Aerolite on a Chevy Astrovan chassis.

7 hours ago, Jarhead said:

That model Chinook is my dream model. They only made them for a couple of years. Best model Chinook ever. Buy it but the mileage won't be great. Hey gas is cheap right now

Well I found one of these for sale in Florida but it's a V10 not a V8. Mega gas hog

Linda S

Thanks for the correction.  I guess my Escaper be a 20'.  I measured it but with the bumpers it comes in at over 20' so I thought they would call it a 21.