Anyone Convert Their Sunrader To Power Steering?

power steering was an option on some of the trucks in 1983 but not the camper chassis. One more thing for an already overtaxed engine to run I guess. But that means there are trucks in salvage yards somewhere with the parts you need. might not be too expensive if you can find them

Linda S

Did an '84 Rader, 4 cyl. 18'er about 3 years ago. If memory serves me: $200 for the used pump, canister and lines on CL. Had to get some bracket, ($20+/-?) I believe. $200 to have it all installed in N. Kali. Cannot overstate how much better the driving experience is, especially in parking lots. Would do it again, in a heartbeat.

BR, TG

Did an '84 Rader, 4 cyl. 18'er about 3 years ago. If memory serves me: $200 for the used pump, canister and lines on CL. Had to get some bracket, ($20+/-?) I believe. $200 to have it all installed in N. Kali. Cannot overstate how much better the driving experience is, especially in parking lots. Would do it again, in a heartbeat.

BR, TG

Did that include the steering box?

I did an 82 Toyota truck. You can't beat buying a complete donor vehicle if you can find one cheap. When I did the 82, I bought a rusted out truck for $200. When done - besides the steering - I got an extra engine, rear, etc. I wish I could do my 1978 Toyota Chinook so easy. I regard doing the 1978 as close to impossible as it was on my 1969 Dodge Power Wagon truck. I DID get the Dodge done - but never again. I know of no donor power-steering pump that comes close to fitting in a 78 and matching the geometry of the existing steering. I keep thinking someday I'll find someone who has actually found a way (that is close to cost-effective).

By the way - I'm looking to buy another donor vehicle right now. All I want is the manual trans and linkage. Maybe if you decide you really want to do this - we could share the cost if I can find a rusted out junker for $400 or less.

Did that include the steering box?

Yeah, it included everything but one bracket. The seller had sold lots of used parts to my mechanic, so I took him on his word as to condition. I had been watching prices online for a while and his was in line with what I was seeing here in N. Cal.