Agreed Value Insurance

jjrbus

There is a discussion on another forum that owners are unable to get agreed value insurance on their rigs. I have not done it, but will try as soon as my interior is presentable. Anyone have any experience with this?

Jim

My insurance agent and myself agreed on the value BEFORE I purchased the policy. I do need to update the value annually because over time they will automatically depreciate the value of the policy even if the vehicle does not depreciate. So you do need to be sure to have an annual chat at renewal time to make sure that automatic devaluing does not disagree with the actual current value. If you don't do that annual chat you can get caught way short on the value if a collision happens several years after you first signed up for a policy especially if you have been making improvements to the value.

I live in FL and while traveling in VT I totaled a 92 itasca spirit. Geico came up with a value several thousand below what my rig was really worth. When I showed them several ads that reflected my value (and I was not trying to gig them) they agreed to what I thought the rig was worth. They also paid off on the other coverage - travel interruption and contents with only what I would describe as reasonable hassle (no more than I would expect if I was the insurer. I provide pictures of the damages stuff and quotes from the internet on the cost thereof).

They had an estimate to repair the damage but it was obvious is was totaled even if the rig was worth twice it's true value.

I have heard of stated value but never looked into it. My main concern was 1) being legal & 2) having sufficient liability coverage.

Having "been there, done that", I definitely recommend Geico, based on service after the claim and on premium cost.