Shore Power 30 Amp Question

Dunce

My toy home has had, since I got it almost 2 years ago, a regular 15amp 110vac plug on the shore power cable. I didn't even think til recently that a previous owner just took the 30amp plug off and added the 15amp so they could plug in at home easier.

Is it supposed to be the 30 amp connector? Is there a way to check, or is 30 completely standard?

I have a 30amp plug where I park my MH, and I'd like to get all the benefits of using the full 30amps, then in the cases when I only have 15 or 20 amp availability I will use the adapter and just not put the electrical under heavy load.

I bet it was a 30 amp plug RV plug.. My guess is it was damaged and the owner did a cheapo repair. (since Converter plugs 30A>>15A are cheap and easy to use_. By chance does your rv have one of those installed?

As for getting the full 30a yes it is worth having - I have run my AC on a 15amp circuit but on my 93 warrior, with 30a I can run the roof AC and the microwave at the same time.

I have the set up with the converter. If this is all the case, I bet there are a bunch of things that haven't ever worked right. I thought the A/C was acting weird, this may have something to do with it. The batteries have certainly never charged while being connected to shore power. HMMMM

Thanks for the response.

So wait. You have an adapter that can be removed but you just never took it off. Yes take it off when at RV parks and put it on if you need to plug in at home. That's what they are there for. Not to be used when you have 30 amp service available.

Linda S

If the cable is a #10 wire then yes you can put a 30 amp (NEMA TT-30P) RV plug on it. RV plugs are one of a kind they only fit RV outlets, adapters can be added so it can be used on a house outlet. Be sure you wire it properly from the back (wiring side) the black is on the left the white is on the right and green at the top.

Linda,

I'm not using an adapter. The PO rewired the connector on the end of the shore power line to a 15amp style connector. In the future, once I put the 30amp connector on (back to how it should be) I'll have to buy an adapter and use it in circumstances where I don't have the 30amp hookup.

I added a 30 amp outlet near my garage breaker box. I think that it cost me about $15 total for the job. Thankfully I can do that work myself so I don't have to pay $60 an hour to get the job done.

The previous owners had the RV plugged into a 14 gauge extension cord with the AC running when I went to look at it the first time. I picked up the cord and asked the owners to touch it. That cord was almost too hot to pick up. I would never run the AC through a 15 amp plug unless I was absolutely certain that nothing else was running. With an automatic battery charger on-board, I would feel very apprehensive about using the 15 amp converter.