Request For Comments - Ladder

mustrmrk

I've been kicking this around in my relatively empty head for a bit and have some ideas, but I thought I'd ask around here and see if someone smarter than me has already done something like this.

I have the typical RV ladder on the back of my Escaper, but one leg is cracked from a PO backing into something. I also, being a pretty big guy, don't want to climb on the roof to do maintenance. I'd like to figure out a nice-looking way to replace my ladder with some sort of step ladder I could detach and use to clean the solar panels from the side of the rig and all the other stuff a 6' - 8' ladder might be useful for.

Has anyone done something like this? Maybe one of those aluminum ladders that goes from being an "A" frame to an extension ladder or something would work. Or just an aluminum extension ladder section, or even a fiberglass step ladder, except that might not be too attractive. Doesn't really matter, though, as long as it doesn't look too "Beverly Hillbilly-ish", is sturdy and easily removed, and is at least 6 high'. Any experience / thoughts / suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Kinda depends. When I full timed I had a bus conversion capable of carrying all kinds of things. I did not spend a lot of times in parks but when I did I was happy to share anything I had with me. Now maybe not all at the same time I had in the bay at various times, table say, cutting torches, router shaper, welder, circular saw, various cordless tools, compressor etc.

Welded up a broken trailer tongue in a rest stop one time for a fellow traveler.

Never carried a ladder, there was usually someone in the park that had one that was willing to share. Also many parks have ladders you can use. Then there is always parking next to something to climb on to access the roof.

In 10 years of full timing there was one instance I can remember where having a ladder would have been nice. I had to stack some stuff up to reach the radiator fill on my motor home at a rest stop. As soon as I got done an RV'er pulled in with a ladder!

Jim

If I need a ladder I would definitively go with one of these. Very lightweight. There are slightly shorter ones available. Prices on eBay are all over the place. I didn't take the time to find the cheapest so look around first if you choose to get one. Might store in a closet

Linda S

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330Lbs-10-5FT-11-Steps-Aluminum-Telescoping-Collapsible-Extension-Ladder-US-SHIP-/311356149133?hash=item487e45cd8d:g:G0kAAOSwcwhVMIoK

OK looked around. This one is being bid on but should go for less than 50 bucks including shipping. 8.5 feet

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EN131-8-5FT-Aluminum-Telescoping-Telescopic-Extension-Ladder-Tall-Multi-Purpose-/201451197552?hash=item2ee76d5470:g:6vUAAOSweW5VHI~i

If I did not have a ladder on my Escaper, I would probably buy one of the telescoping ones like Linda posted. I like to be able to get on top to check things out and I have taken many photos from the roof of my RV.

On our first trip after my retirement, the bumper broke loose from the weight of a very lightly loaded carrier that was mounted on the back. I actually carried the plastic box and carrier on the roof until we got the bumper repaired. Having the mounted ladder made it possible to get my stuff to the repair shop.

I have one like Linda posted...fits in bathroom closet, extends up past roof making it easy to get on roof, is easier to climb than the straight-up mounted ladders, is WAY steadier than a step ladder...I use mine to put our kayaks on the roof.

Thanks all - looks like I'll be in the market for one.

Well I guessed pretty close. The one I posted went for 47 bucks including shipping. I have very good luck with eBay. Prices way lower than local. I just bought a wrong extension for my wheels cause the picture wasn't accurate. They offered to take them back but I told the guy I messed them up pretty bad trying to bend them to make them work. He said it was his fault cause the pic was wrong and returned my money and told me to throw away the bad extensions. Can't beat that for service

Linda S

• 2 months later...

I've thought about making a bamboo ladder that can deatach and moved around as needed.

Bamboo is naturally strong, rot resistant and much more lightweight then a wooden one but it would look so much nicer then an ugly aluminum one.