Escape Cold

jhdbad

I have an 18ft Sunrader located in Wisconsin and I'm considering driving it to Florida for winter months. Thinking of using it several times during this period but storing and flying home periodically. What obstacles does this plan entail? I have flight benefits that make that aspect affordable, thanks

Depends on where you want to stay in FL, stay in one place or move around? Trying to get from RV park to storage facility to airport can be difficult. Some RV parks have a small storage area, where you can leave RV for reasonable money while gone. IS money an issue?

Reasonably priced storage areas near airport, I have not seen one yet! This is not an obstacle, just something to take into consideration. HTH Jim

The only drawback I can think of is that most storage facilities require some kind of commitment as to how long your vehicle would be there. If you were going to be gone for only a week you would probably have to pay for the month. If your going to be traveling around Florida it might be hard to find spots to leave it when you want to fly home.

Don't know how easy it is to find camping spots in Florida in the winter either. In California all the good camping spots are booked up months before the summer season. I see in Florida RV parks are charging almost double in the winter what they charge in the summer so that is obviously the high season.

It would take some very careful planning to figure out how to make this work out smoothly

Linda S

We have a couple of members who live in Florida who would know better. Oh I see Jim just posted a similar response to mine. Yes you would need to be close to airport and they are going to charge at least a full month

good idea, I know a few people who do this. I am thinking of doing so in a few years. My work schedule does not let me take a lot of time at once off. so I rather drive the camper to x destination and then fly out with the girls and camp out.

Florida, - some camp grounds will store for you. you can store in public storage. Just get an Uber ride or Super Shuttle to the airport.

I have done so in Cali for work, I had a corolla, when I was gone for few weeks, I would park it at work parking lot and take supershuttle to Ontario airport.

Find place where jet blue, or other cheaper airlines fly to. I have seen $29 fares on Allegiant airlines :-)

There are storage yard options where you pay by the month. For instance in a smaller wide spot in the road town in the country side outside of the Seattle area I can store my Sunrader for $35.00 a month at a secure yard where the owners live on site. It is located right on a public transportation, county bus line. It also happens to be on the route that a regularly scheduled airport shuttle bus service travels on to service those outlying small towns from the Seattle/Tacoma airport.

So look for that kind of affordable opportunity for a storage facility that is outside of the city areas but still on bus lines or on shuttle routes. As those transportation services are on main roads and the storage yards are also often on those frequently traveled roads it is a good bet you will easily find something suitable.