"20 Mpg" Rv Before Toyota & Datsun??

zero

Kind of neat for 1969 when gas or diesel was often 25-32 cents a gallon. Several companies offered to slide a German front-wheel drive diesel truck sort-of into your camper trailer. Also a few companies sold them ready to go - like the aluminum bodied Silver Streak. 20 MPG is claimed, but the same claim is often made for Toyota RVs that is certainly not true unless we're talking a real small one like a Chinook.

I had a chance to buy one of these in van-version last year for $700 and passed it up. The difficulty of finding parts scared me off. Plus - I assume it only has a 2.2 liter engine which will barely make the power of a 1.8 liter gas engine. Just guess since I don't have a lot of specs. I suspect power is like the Mercedes 220D car has (59 horsepower and 92 lbs. max torque).

post-6578-0-37358100-1444311607_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-88672800-1444311610_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-80109000-1444311613_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-07302600-1444311615_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-70489300-1444311616_thumb.jp

I think I sent you info on as Hanamog (spelling)?? a couple of years ago as it was in NYstate, not far from you , I think, I know that you took a pass on it..........I wish now that I would have bought it...........they are neat vans....... donnie

I drove my 1988 Minicruiser for half a day in the Michigan UP at no faster then 45 MPH. All flat dirt and gravel roads. Got 16.5 MPG.

And Donnie - yes, I remember. I looked into it at the time and decided parts availability was kind of scary. You posted info on the van as I recall. I didn't know that back in the day, these things were used for motorhome conversions.

When Winnebago first introduced its three diesel campers in 1983 - the LeSharo, Phasar, and Centauri, they claimed OVER 20 MPG with the 2 liter diesel. But if you read the actual road tests - the diesel Winnebago got 28 MPG when driven at 35 MPH! When driven at the max Jimmy Carter speed of 55 MPH - it got 16 MPG.

I can see where that Hanomag might be neat to have a little Chinook body on. Not so sure with a big rig like in that magazine article.

"operationg cost drops to a penny a mile"

luv it.

I bet I can get 20 mpg if I drive my sunrader at 45 mph

If you have manual transmission yes you can. Maybe even at 55. My best ever with automatic was 19mpg driving behind a big rig with no cross wind at 55. In California 55 is the speed limit for big rigs but so few of them obey it.

Linda S

Using figures when letting the suction from a big rig to help pull you along is a little skewed. So is a "one time" fill. I just calculated 22 MPG with my Ford diesel F250 which I KNOW is wrong. Probably a bad fill and next tank will be 13-14 MPG.

I've scanned a lot of controlled road tests for RVs and they are fairly consistent. Here are some of the highest ones and all were done with max speeds of 55 MPH. Oddly the Winnebago seems to be the best. I met a guy recently that has five Toyota RVs. One Minicruiser, three Dolphins, and one Winnebago. He says the Winne always gets the best fuel mileage. He thinks because of the way the front over-cab roof is shaped. True or not, I have no idea.

1979 Toyota Chinook Eagle (low but fixed roof). 2.2 engine, 4 speed manual trans.

14.5 MPG average with high of 19.2 MPG, max speed 55 MPH

1979 19’ Odyssey on Toyota. 2.2 engine and four speed manual. 14-15 MPG with a high of 16.6 MPG and a low of 13.2 MPG. Never faster then 55 MPH.

1977 Dolphin RV on Toyota chassis

2189 cc engine. 4 speed manual trans.

Combo of city and mountain driving – 13.8 MPG

Combo of city and freeway driving – 14.2 MPG

All highway driving max 55 MPH – 15.1 MPG

1979 Keystone on Toyota. 16SD
2.2 engine, 4 speed man. trans
Fuel mileage – 16 MPG (short test) max 55 MPH

1978 Galavan 400 on Toyota chassis.
4 sp. Stick, 2.2 liter engine.

Fuel mileage: 15.9 MPG highway, max 55 MPH

1975 Toyota Chinook 2.2 engine. 4 speed man. Trans.
500 mile test highway 55 MPH– 24.3 MPG (no cargo, just the driver)

1973 Toyota Round Tripper 2.2 engine, 4 speed man. TransHighway – high of 21.2 MPG, Mixed – low of 14.6 MPG
540 mile average highest 55 MPH – 18.7 MPG.

1986 Winnebago 319RB 22RE and auto trans

Best of 18.5 MPG @ 55 MPH

jdemaris, you stated:

"When driven at the max Jimmy Carter speed of 55 MPH - it got 16 MPG."

Actually the national 55 maximum became law during the screaming liberal Nixon administration in 1974. It was repealled in 1995 under Clinton.

jdemaris, you stated:

"When driven at the max Jimmy Carter speed of 55 MPH - it got 16 MPG."

Actually the national 55 maximum became law during the screaming liberal Nixon administration in 1974. It was repealled in 1995 under Clinton.

I've got to watch what I say here or get deleted. NO politics allowed. As I recall - Jimmy Carter is the president who basically used extortion to force states to make their own 55 MPH speed limits or not get Federal goodies. Tricky Dick later signed it into Federal law. If you think Tricky Dick was a liberal - what word can be used for Jimmy Carter? Please don't answer here. This sort of "talk" is not even allowed over at the "almost anything goes" forum.

I was living in New Jersey during the gas-rationing days, using the last number of our license plate to determine if we could buy gas or not. I also remember the "misery index" appearing in the newspapers on a daily basis until Carter was gone.

Hey Administrators - I'm not talking politics. Just plain facts. I've been reading, in chronological order the "misery" days of the two so-called "oil shortages" and how it put many RV companies out of business. In fact, the first one is what led to the creation of micro-mini motorhomes.

How is it possible that "Tricky Dick later signed it into Federal Law" when Nixon was president before Carter

37. Richard Nixon (1969-1974)
38. Gerald Ford (1974-1977)

39. Jimmy Carter (1977-1981)

I have the events in the wrong order. To be technical - NO president ever signed a "Federal Law" mandating any speed limit. A president does not have the power, nor does the Federal Government. Nixon signed a law that would hold back Federal funding to states who opted not to use the 55 MPH as a limit. At the time, I paid little attention to the matter since the 55 MPH speed limit was not enforced where I lived, early 70s. When Carter became President, he gave it a lot if publicity and it was in the newspapers, a lot.

I wasn't trying to be overtly political. Just a little sarcastic humour at Dick Nixon's expense. As politics go, I wouldn't join any party that would have me as a member.

Getting back to the original topic, the Corvair powered Ultra-Van pre-dates the micros. All owners I have met report economy of 15 mpg or more (nearly 16 litres per 100K for our readers to the north). They have appeared in these forums and for anyone not familiar, look them up.

I wasn't trying to be overtly political. Just a little sarcastic humour at Dick Nixon's expense. As politics go, I wouldn't join any party that would have me as a member.

Getting back to the original topic, the Corvair powered Ultra-Van pre-dates the micros. All owners I have met report economy of 15 mpg or more (nearly 16 litres per 100K for our readers to the north). They have appeared in these forums and for anyone not familiar, look them up.

A farmer down the road from me has one sitting next to his barn. A tree caved in part of the aluminum roof. I've considered buying it and restoring it - but not sure I want another, very long project. This one has the Corvair air-cooled engine (the early smallest one) and I'm sure is very underpowered. Ultravan started putting 307 Chevy V8s in them at some point around 1969. I'd like to hear what sort of fuel mileage those things get. I drove a brand new 1970 Nova with a 307 and two-speed Powerglide auto trans and it was awful on gas. I came across a magazine article about an UltraVan rally and it has pictures of many of the RVs and owners. That's in a 1969 issue of Trailer Life. I'll post it when I find it.

I would be curious if swapping for a modern more fuel efficient V8 would yield better fuel economy. I've heard of Subaru motors being used in Corvairs, That would be fun to see in an Ultra-Van.

I was a big Subaru fan for many years - especially when their 4WD car was something unique Can't say I ever had one that I'd call highly fuel efficient though. I gave up on them mid-2000 when I got sick of their problems (wheel bearing and head-gasket failures). That being said - I've seen several ultra-light airplanes with the 80s vintage 1.8 Subaru "Boxer" motors. When I was a teen - putting Corvair engines into VW Beetles was a popular upgrade. They turn the opposite direction and would get a special camshaft to allow them to run backwards.

May be the old Winnebago with a more slanted front would get better MPG; my 1990 Itasca 321RB gets 14.5MPG at its best; otherwise 12-13MPG avg. I tend to keep up with speed limit here (65-70mph) Gas is cheap for now $2.44/Gal Reg. Unleaded here in Northern Calif. The only problem is where to find time to travel hehehe.