Propane Smell When Running Furnace

candace

We're in Lake Louise, Canada right now. It's been pretty cold at night, so we've been using the furnace. Outside of the rv, I smell propane coming from the furnace vent. It smells the entire time the furnace is on, not just when I start it.

Is this normal?

It is possible. Before they light it goes through a purge cycle when the fan is running before it lights. There is a brief cycle just before it lights that may introduce some unburnt propane.

If it's still doing that you might want to check for a leak in the heat exchanger, there should be no mixing between the combustion gases and the coach gases.
One of my first purchases was a good quality carbon monoxide and smoke detector, they eat batteries but with the vibration the rig gets it's good peace of mind.

I'm with Linda, if you have not run it in awhile dust accumulated over time smells pretty bad (burnt dusty smell different from propane). Needs a good day to burn off whilst running. Soapy water in a squeeze bottle and check your gas connections possible u have a leak

she did say outside of the rv and yes carbon monoxide and smoke alarms a must . I have one each house units from walmart much cheaper then r v approved but they work.