some one will have more info then I do . but I would try to get ones that have grease fittings . not all do . and if you can grease them they last a lot better. my other Toyota is a 88 xtra cab 4wd truck with all grease able u joints.

I kind of hate to say this since it sounds counter-intuitive. OEM type u-joints with no grease fittings often outlast replacement joints with grease fittings. I'm not sure why but do not doubt the truth in it. I've seen original-equipment sealed joints last an amazingly long time. I rarely see replacement joints with grease fittings last near as long. I suspect, in part because seals in universal joints get damaged over time from greasing and also from intrusion of dirt and incompatible greases. The OEM non-greasable joints that came on Toyotas new last an amazingly long time. If you were to go to a company like Spicer and ask for their best U-joint - it will be a non-greasable unit. I, like many other people have always like parts better with grease fittings. Makes me feel better. That being said, I don't think anyone here can argue that point that sealed joints that come OEM last a very long time. I had one problem vehicle that was burning up rear joints every 30K miles. Short wheel-base K5 Chevy Blazer with a severe angle. I called Denny's driveshaft about the problem and he told me to get rid of the greaseable joints and use the OEM style "Lifetime" Spicer joints. The cost quite a bit more then the greasable joints but once in - I never had to replace them again.

at least on the 4wd pickups my factory owners book and my Toyota factory service books and I also have a Toyota lube point chart oem on the sunviser . that shows grease intervals for the front and rear drive line joints. but I will say I don't think any 2 wd trucks had those type of joints. the 2wd trucks and cars I have had did not have grease fittings on the the drive line.

Hey, at least with a Toyota the joints are replaceable. In some cars and trucks they are crimped in and dealers will sell you a whole new driveshaft. Like in my Datsun 280ZX or any of my Subarus.

My 2011 Tacoma has fittings on all of the joints and so does all of my farm equiptment they must have a reason for that, A great deal of joint failures is water intrusion.

My 2011 Tacoma has fittings on all of the joints and so does all of my farm equiptment they must have a reason for that, A great deal of joint failures is water intrusion.

Yes and all the ones that come new with no grease fittings also have a reason for that. It's a toss-up. Neither my 1978 Chinook nor my 1988 Minicruiser have grease fittings. Neither does my 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan, 2001 Chevy Tracker, 1979 Datsun 280ZX, or any of my Subarus. None of my Chevy trucks came with them either when new.

yes I had a Datsun b210 with a crimped joint non repairable drive line .but mine was a 1974 and only on that first year b210 you could replace it with a 1970 to 72 drive shaft out of a datsan 1200 with removable you joints. all others buy a 450$ aftermarket repairable drive line.which we put in my sons 1976 b210.

yes I had a Datsun b210 with a crimped joint non repairable drive line .but mine was a 1974 and only on that first year b210 you could replace it with a 1970 to 72 drive shaft out of a datsan 1200 with removable you joints. all others buy a 450$ aftermarket repairable drive line.which we put in my sons 1976 b210.

There was a company specializing in selling replacement U-Joints to fix non-replaceable joint driveshafts. I was a dealer for awhile. Rockford Driveline. I repaired many Subarus with them. Even the local Subaru dealer was sending customers my way. Lot of work though to install. I'd use a torch to just cut the old joints out. Then a die-grinder to clean out all the crimps in the cap-bores. Before my comments be moved because they are deemed "irrelevant' - these joints are also made for Toyotas. Datsun, Toyota, Subaru, Jaguar, BMW, Mazda, Diahatsu, Nissan, Honda, Infinity, Lexus, etc.

http://rockforddriveline.com/replacem.htm

post-6578-0-10359700-1443011465_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-78351700-1443011666_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-29873500-1443011668_thumb.jp

Don't forget GM's bright ideal of gluing them in they made replacements for them too.

Yes, I did many of them. I guess I never knew if it was glue or just liquid plastic. Unlike the crimped joints - the GMs were never sold as "unreplaceable." At least not that I ever heard. Just hit them with heat and took them apart. Seems new joints were always available. Just needed clips to hold in. Back then - we had no computers or Internet to look stuff up and we rarely had comprehensive knowledge of anything. Just called the the auto parts store and got a new u-joint. It's kind of amazing how things have changed since the "digital age" came. Good and bad. I'm not sure if there is any real net gain - but we sure can access lots of information. I had a British Allis Chalmers diesel tractor back around 1980. Model ED40. I Allis Chalmers deals could not longer get parts for it. So I wrote several letters to places in England and got no answers. So for the lack of a few engine bearings and glow plugs I scrapped. it. 10-15 years later - when the World Wide Web started to be useful - I found out that tractor had the same engine as many British Taxi cabs and parts were easy to get - if you knew where look. Oh well.

My Warrior needed one at 220K miles. However, it was over 230K miles before I traced the occasional "thunk" sound to the U-joint pivoting 20 degrees in the direction of rotation. The round cavity on one side had become a slot. While checking my fuel filter, I happened to reach over and shook the drive shaft. To my amazement, it had plenty of play when it should feel solid.

Autozone had the U-joints for about $10 each. The Toyota ones were $40.

My Toyota 4Runner has over 375K miles and it is still on the original U-joints.

JD,

I repaired many Subarus with them. Even the local Subaru dealer was sending customers my way.

I was told my Subaru has half-shafts, like the front wheel drive cars. Are the newer ones made with replacable U joints still ??

nice info I never had a Toyota with that type of drive line . and I never heard of these aftermarket replacement parts. I was able to buy a used early 1970 drive line in a yard for 30 bucks with replaceable u joints. put new ones in and was still in the car 15 years later . had the car from brand new. was finaly totaled hit buy a dump truck drove it 24 years.