Opinions On Apples-To-Apples Dolphin V6 Prices

rmarcil

Considering buying a 1991 Dolphin (V6 3Liter).

I don't wish to get into 4 cyl vs. 6 cyl comparisons, but interested in comparing value of Dolpin V6 vs similar non-Dolphin V6, and interested in feedback on the following features for pricing:

Features:

70K miles

No leaks and body in good shape

Engine is clean and runs smooth with 17 mpg on flat highways

Has all the usual features (roof A/C, furnace, 4-burner, stove, fridge, usual bathroom) and interior (carpet, drapes/blinds, soafa, table) in good condition.

Has following optional items: Microwave, TV w antenna and DVD, Tow hitch for future portable generator

Does not have: Generator or awning

Maintenance and new items added:

New propane tank, new coach water pump, new coach thermostat/ignitor assembly for water heater, new coach battery, new tires, and recent maintenance of following: resealing roof and seams, brakes, transmission fluid flush, radiator fluid flush, spark plugs/timing, all engine hoses and belts including timing belt, and the recall work for head gasket was done at 50k.

Not maintained yet: Valve adjustment

Unknowns: Not sure of age of Air Conditioner, and not sure if/when wheel bearings were repacked

Now, when comparing prices with similar dolphins and with non-dolphins, and noting the above maintenance and features (or features lacking),and trying to make true apples-to-apples comparisons on prices, is $8,800 about right for this? And why or why not?

Thanks for your forthcoming feedback.

I would not even hazard a guess without seeing it. Simple little things, "new tires" has receipt or what is the DOT date code? I would be thrown off when the seller is hyping 17 MPG as a selling point. Jim

You should talk to your insurance company before buying to make sure they will be willing to insure the vehicle you want to purchase for the price you have to pay for it. No matter what someone asks for it or what you are willing to pay there is always that factor that must be met unless you don't plan on purchasing replacement value insurance.

Considering buying a 1991 Dolphin (V6 3Liter).

Now, when comparing prices with similar dolphins and with non-dolphins, and noting the above maintenance and features (or features lacking),and trying to make true apples-to-apples comparisons on prices, is $8,800 about right for this? And why or why not?

Thanks for your forthcoming feedback.

Most insurance companies will put a value of $4500 to $5000 on it unless you make special arrangements and pay a special higher rate. I don't blame them. There are certainly Dolphins in good shape to be found in that price range if someone is patient. I've seen plenty for $4000-$5000 and also plenty for $8000-$10,000. Sometimes the ones for half the price are just as nice. I question the credibility of any seller claiming 17 MPG IF USA gallons and not Imperial/Canadian gallons. 12-13 MPG average would be more reality based.

paid 8K for mine 91 V6 , Winnie , 50 K ,no leaks , no ac , no genset . I will probably end up at 13K after all the upgrades and repairs . Changed every serviceable part , added ac and genset.

This leads to a good Dolphin vs. non-Dophin value question. By my calculation, my Dolphin fully equipped to match his Winnie would be $2K cheaper. Are the Winnebagos (Itasca, etc) worth that much more? why? is it simply a matter of single roof construction and/or fiberglass construction, or is their superiority of appliance value to consider as well (mostly consideration of kitchen appliances, i would assume)?

Winnebago is still in business and while they do not make lots of parts for the Toyota's anymore they still have some support available. The smooth sheet fiberglass of the Winnebago makes it look more modern compared to the wavy mesa pattern of the Dolphin. The value of anything is driven by how much people will pay. Familiarity with the Winnebago name and looks seem like the most likely reason the Winnies cost more. Not because one was made better than the other. Both are susceptible to water damage, chassis are identical and appliances inside are usually the same.

Linda S

Linda,

Thanks for the logical feedback. I feel good now about not paying higher for the W "brand". I have exhaustively checked out this '91 dophin with all receipts in place and spent hours giving the owner (7th one) the lawyer-style questioning about his use and experiences with it. Honestly, all it needs is a valve adjustment (because of mileage of 70K, not because of loss of any compression), and possibly wheel bearings repacked. This Dolphin's engine/tran and coach have been maintained impeccably.

I will also be buying portable solar panels for boondocking.

New question: HAS ANYONE EXPERIENCED PROBLEMS CARRYING A 300 LB MOTORCYCLE OFF OF A TOW HITCH? This will be my remote Alaska backup/escape plan if anything fails.

rmarcil,

I will be interested in hearing what others have to say. I wanted to mount a portable generator on my tow hitch for times when I traveled 'self-contained' and didn't stay at RV parks. Total weight (including generator, fuel, and the cargo carrier) will be about 150 pounds. I ended up purchasing the generator and hitch, but all the trips I've taken this season have been to parks with electricity and water, so I've yet to set up my generator and see if my rig - a 1984 Dolphin - has any problems toting it around. That being said, before I made the purchase, I did a lot of research and found several people on these forums who have had cargo carriers and/or hitch-mounted bicycles with loads of 50 - 125 pounds that said their RVs didn't flinch at the extra load; however there is a big difference between 100 pounds worth of bicycles and gear versus a 300 pound motorcycle. I would let you know how well mine handles the 150 pound load, but all of the trips I have planned for the rest of this season won't require a generator, so I might not try it out until next spring.