Should I Suspect Rodents?

Ctgriffi

I've had the Warrior covered up all summer, waiting for the heat and humidity to subside. Finally, the days are getting bearable again, so, with the end in sight, I yanked off the cover today and fired up the motor for a test drive. Started just fine and drove nice and smooth, just like I'd hoped. Heading back home, I cranked the cab AC up for the heck of it and was startled by a loud, continuous moan from the blower. Seems to "work" fine, but it definitely never sounded like this before.

Any idea what might be going on? Where should I start looking?

This sounds like what i heard first time turning on the air on my toyota!I removed blower motor and cleaned out the mouse nest and no more problem.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm expecting to find. Is that blower motor up under the dash, behind the glove box?

I had the same problem when I bought my Toyhouse. The fan did not turn at all. I disassembled the blower, cleaned it out and replaced the fuse and now it works fine.

On my '88 Escaper the fan is under the dash on the passenger side. It is kind of a pain to get out only because of the tight area. I think it was 4 bolts and an electrical connection. I pulled the fan out, vacuumed out what I could and then used a leaf blower to blow air into the vents, defroster, and heater vent to blow any leftover mouse nest out. I am glad that I did the last part because a lot of garbage was blown out of the vent tubes. I would suggest wearing a respirator when doing this job because mouse droppings can make you really sick.

On my 93 it is all the way to the passenger side behind the glove box. One screw was a bear to get out and took everything I had to pull the fan and motor out! Putting it back in was near impossible, so I cut out the grate, put the fan in and then installed motor. installed clip on fan through the cut out grate!

The other photo is the AC evaporator, that is not a nest! it is just crap that had collected in there over the years. HTH Jimpost-8092-0-89898800-1440610168_thumb.jppost-8092-0-80083800-1440610335_thumb.jp Left click photos to enlarge.

Yes, that did help. After spending an hour on this, I can now see exactly what you mean, Jim. Getting that fan/motor out was surprisingly difficult since the back bolt/screw was like an inch from the firewall, angled towards the firewall! Maybe Toyota didn't plan on those needing service... ever!

Anyway, here's what was causing the racket; appears to be a wooden bead about 5/8" tall, lightly chewed on one side. Must've seemed like "quite a find" for some diminutive critter.

post-7949-0-03615800-1440639547_thumb.jp

I'm wondering, on my 93 I had a bear of a time pulling the fan and motor out, then reinstalling was very difficult. Other than the screw did you have the same issue?

Haven't reinstalled yet but it came out through the bottom, so I think it'll have to go back in that way. I'm waiting a bit til I get the chance to stick my shop-vac hose up in there (left the vac at another job that's still in process).

@totem: Haha, yes. The bead looks exactly like an acorn, btw, the more I thought about it (minus the "hat").

@Jim: I had a little difficulty reinserting the blower unit, but it wasn't too bad. There was a thick piece of firewall insulation that was partially obstructing the path, but once I got that pushed aside it was all good.

Be sure to inspect the blower motor speed reduction relay that is in the vent to the left of the blower motor.

Last October a mouse built a nest on the relay (looks like 3 or 4 zig zag wires) and it caught fire, melted the

blower motor (like 50% of it dripped on the floor) before I was able to get the fire out. The entire cab filled

with dark black smoke while I was driving (that is trying to pull over). I have the replacement blower motor/housing

and a replacement glove box to install next week. I am going to screen in the blower motor speed reduction relay

and try to find / screen in where the mice was getting into the blower motor.

Thanks for the tip; I'll keep an eye on that. Given the great love that mice seem to have have for destroying these aging motorhomes—and the fact that these vehicles also apparently absorb water like giant sponges on wheels—I am getting a bit discouraged.

I bait and trap my rig every winter as part of the process. knocking on wood so far never had a rat in the trap.. also bait the pontoon in storage after having control cables chewed to pieces which on a 200 hp vmax aint cheap.

• 7 years later...

Update to this old thread, for my future self and any others who have to clean out the blower on a regular basis... the three (painful) screws that hold the blower motor in place have 8mm hex heads with M-25 Torx centers. (This time, I decided to just leave the front two in place, skip the rear one when I reinstalled.)

Edited by Ctgriffi