Where I once had a small leak, I've now a larger one. I had a local shop change the bushing and seal and now it leaks worse than before. Things have been hectic last few weeks but today I called the shop up and let the owner know there is still a problem and that I need him to take a look. In our conversation I wonder aloud if perhaps the seal got pinched or something as he said everything looked good. His reply was that it was likely the slip yoke. Interesting as this was something I was scratching my head with. I have the before and after pictures and was wondering why the drive shaft was out so far. Here are the pictures. Any thoughts?

Before

transmission_01.jpg

After

transmission_031.jpg

I really hate to take anything in to get fixed! Does look like a piece missing, likely fell off on the way to the shop after you took the picture. Good luck on this one.

They left the yoke cover off. This also leads me to believe they did not replace the bushing. The cover is not of great importance but it belongs there, it is a short cut way to replace the seal make them fix the problem and put it back on they must still have it. If the yoke was the problem it should have been addressed when the bushing was replaced. That being said the yoke bushing is quite important in that transmission as it is the rear support for the output shaft and can cause problems with the governor sealing rings inside the trans case. The cover is a press type fit a small hammer will knock it off and it is not that hard to put back on.

I really hate to take anything in to get fixed! Does look like a piece missing, likely fell off on the way to the shop after you took the picture. Good luck on this one.

Nope, shop left it off. I'm with you on the "if you want it done by someone who gives a crap, do it yourself".

They left the yoke cover off. This also leads me to believe they did not replace the bushing. The cover is not of great importance but it belongs there, it is a short cut way to replace the seal make them fix the problem and put it back on they must still have it. If the yoke was the problem it should have been addressed when the bushing was replaced. That being said the yoke bushing is quite important in that transmission as it is the rear support for the output shaft and can cause problems with the governor sealing rings inside the trans case. The cover is a press type fit a small hammer will knock it off and it is not that hard to put back on.

Then they went to a lot of trouble to remove the cover and clean the tail piece. The drive shaft is now solid where before there was slight play. This should confirm the bushing was replaced. I went from an occasional drip on the driveway kind of a leak to an underside soaked in trans fluid one.

RV goes to the muffler shop on Thursday first. (the problems don't seem to want to end this year). I spoke to the Trans shop and will drop it off afterwards. Mother-in-Law passed away last week so everything got pushed back. Now the wife is itching to escape to spend some time away healing. She might get her 40 footer before this summer is over.

agree if you want it done by someone who cares . very few decent shops left or or people that care . do as much as I can myself.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok after weeks of traveling for business, I finally get the RV off to the transmission shop. Before I take it, I have a bit of a talk with the owner. I explain to him that the yoke idea doesn't make sense. He started to argue with me but I told him likely one of two things was going on. He either missed a bad yoke or I ruined one driving it 12 miles home. Which do you think it is? He thought about it for a minute and didn't have much for a rebuttal other than bring it in and he'll have a look at it. At this point he has been gently put on notice that I'm not buying the yoke theory and seems to be on board with helping me out. Super nice guy with a good reputation and I'm banking on that.

Couple days later.

So I get a call early this evening telling me that it is all set and that there is no charge. Pretty much what I was expecting but I asked if he minded telling me what the problem was as I was curious. I've taken the no harm no foul approach up to this point and have been pretty easy going. He said the yoke is fine. The gasket for the tail piece was the issue and was causing the now worse leak than I had started with. This made far more sense as I only started with a little drip here and there kind of leak. First time in the shop he said everything looked good and I had little reason to doubt that. I get that anyone can duff a seal or gasket. Been there myself. Even a pro makes mistakes, it is part of the human experience.

I took the long way home, stopping a couple times to have a quick look underneath. Tailpiece housing is dry along with the seal after about 20 miles. Things look good at this point. Will check underneath when I get home from work tomorrow.

So it is August. Been on one very short trip where I lost a bunch of transmission fluid and an exhaust system. Going to head up to Maine this weekend if we can get a spot. I guess I can hope for a warm fall to extend the season this year but not much beach weather left. A bunch of work and money this year with little in return. Maybe I'll take a couple weeks in Florida late this year.

BE DON, transmission rear seals come with & without the dust shield.. He simply chose the less expensive of the two..

Also my guess is that the garter spring in the seal may have popped off if he drove it in with a hammer & not a seal installer.

When using a hammer to drive in a rear seal, or ANY seal, for that matter, that has a garter spring.. the tech should pack a bit of grease in the spring area to keep it in place as the hammer blow can cause the spring to pop out.. Vaseline will work for this purpose..

I'm thinking that he chose to blame the rear extension gasket to be the leak...either way this repair is a very simple task & in no way should have failed...........choose your technician with care....ask others if in doubt....glad you're on the road............donnie

Thanks Donnie

The important thing for me is not if there was a bit of shading of the truth why it failed but that he took it back and fixed it. I am pretty strait forward and realize that can be a bit off putting. Wouldn't be surprised as I kind of put him a bit on the spot. This is a busy indie shop with a few techs. They do a lot of work but which tech did he assign this job to?

I was a bit limited to which shop I had to choose from. I didn't want to get too far from home with shops and there are only a couple shops in the area that are not the big chain type. At least he didn't try to sell me a transmission rebuild. I checked reviews and asked around. This is a shop that does a lot of classic cars so I figured this 87 wouldn't be too far out of normal for them. Glad I'm on the road too (sort of as I really need to get on the road this season)

My little test ride last night was great. The new shocks, tires and just everything seemed to be working perfect. Transmission always worked fine and just wanted it to keep working perfect.

Looking forward to heading out this weekend.