Paint Job

davidtan

is a paint job worth it??? My Warrior has the sun bleach look and all the stripping is coming off. My buddy who is a fiberglass expert said the front over cab section needs paints because the fiberglass is starting to show. Do I just bring it to Maaco????

If you are pretty sure that you are going to paint it, don't wax it because the wax will have to get stripped off before it can be painted.

I had the same idea but first posted on this site asking for advice and am pleased I did. What I thought was a discoloration of the fiberglass due to fading was actually the stock color. Valuable information provided by a fellow member. Another suggested waxing as opposed to painting. I put 5 coats of wax on it and I must say it looks very good. In addition, my fiberglass panels were actually flaking off bits of residue. The wax nicely sealed it.

I used Zep floor polish as recommended by many here. Cheap, effective and pretty easy to apply. clean surface with 'barkeepers friend' then a few layers of 'Zep'. Did a great job on my 87 Blue Marlin.

It is way off in the future for me, but as I read about it I am leaning towards marine products and techniques. With my limited knowledge of cleaning up and polishing something, what they say makes sense.

Starting with 800/1000 grit sandpaper and then progressing to low speed buffing and then wax is their approach.

HTH Jim

my warrior has a color code of D06 on the winnie body & 045 on the toyota part. Indeed the winnie body could be considered "faded" compared to the toyota part.

I washed with some bleach in maquire car wash with a soaking time to kill the mildew, then washed several times with just maquire to get rid of all traces of bleach. Then 2 coats of maquire liquid wax. looks good to me.

This camper has the flat panels in the body. I do not think painting it would go well. An older unit with the corrugated metal sections might be different.

My decals are feathering but mostly OK. It is a 22 year old camper.