1st many thanks to everyone for the many helpful posts.

When I acquired Harvey the RV (1984 Huntsman 2.4L, 4 speed) last fall it came with front wheel extenders and these rare wheels & no spare tire or rim. I've yet to find a front rim that would match the current set-up so I scored 3ea 14' rims to refurbish from the local junk yard. The rims I acquired appear spot on in size, wheel offset & allow ample clearance for the steering & brake assemblies. See attached pics. Can anyone think see a problem using these refurbished rims? My only concern so far is the lesser amount of welding that holds the rims onto the wheels.

I'd hate to experience another towing episode without a front spare. We did get a flat while traveling... the outcome turned into a lucky miracle.... best to be prepared next time ;-).

Thanks for all our expertise & experience. I hope to contribute also in the future.

Tim (Saxman)

post-7488-0-03430500-1436135768_thumb.jp

post-7488-0-92776900-1436135784_thumb.jp

post-7488-0-33053200-1436135795_thumb.jp

post-7488-0-12837500-1436135822_thumb.jp

What do rear rims look like??

The 14' rear tire has 6 lug dually wheels. I've not see a similar set as I currently have on the fronts.

Just would like to enjoy the luxury of a spare for the fronts. Already had a mishap of a blown side wall at the approach to the Carquinez Bridge while heading to So Ca from Oregon. Was VERY lucky to find a replacement tire, get towed to so we could over night at the Pinole Goodyear. They installed 2 new fronts in the AM & we on our way. They DID see me coming though... ha ha :-).

post-7488-0-41633400-1436144388_thumb.jp

post-7488-0-11997000-1436144790_thumb.jp

Your plan will work. How about a spare rear??

Plan B (more$$) get the 5 to 6 bolt adapters and run the same rear rim and have 1 spare for everything.

Really weird front rim dude...

I'm just a little concerned the wheels I've cleaned up & painted might not be correct for the load range of this RV. Since the AC has bee taken off-My rigs weighs a bit over 4K. The front rims on there now are welded a bunch inside & out. The ones I've cleaned and painted not so much. Also, I've never been excited about these aluminum wheel extenders.... if they're not needed.... I'd prefer to take 'em off. They do work with the existing rims though. Might those rims be the former rear dually rims before the rear end convert to full floating? It's fun to try to figure out what happened in history to our RV's. I do monitor the front lug nuts often to be sure they are tight ;-).

My 86 Escaper came with 6 bolt rims with 1 ton rear and the 5 bolt stock rims on the front. So the rim would be safe for you. The correct tire (R185/14 LT) is rated around 1800 lbs ea. Most toys have around 2100 lbs on the front axle.

You're right. Those wheels ARE rather wired. Haven't a clue why someone would set things up this way.

I ended up with these General 27 x 8.50 R14 LT from the Goodyear store on the fronts after the sidewall blow out. They ride very nice and ought to as they were spendy IMO. Schwab & several tire stores I called in the North SF Bay area said it would take several days to have tires delivery from their sources. We were on our way to a wedding in So CA so I went for the Generals.

I went for having the tires & wheels swapped out at Les Schwab today. Also, a spare 5 lug wheel & tire for the fronts now resides in the rear storage area under the RV. The spare adds peace of mind for the next trip. Here's a pic of the refurbished wheel & oversized 27 x 8.50 R14 LT tire on the front. It doesn't rub in the wheel well; lucky :-).

Completed1.jpg

I wonder if that odd front wheel is a fake duely wheel makes me think of the ones on the back of my 1978 bolted to the inside wheel.

• 1 year later...

Well after all this..... The wheel swap didn't work out.  The oversized tires & wheels I cleaned up (Ford wheels?) rubbed on the fenders when loaded with a passenger, water, camping gear & the pooch.  Rather than re-invent the wheel (ha ha).... I've chosen to just renew the paint on the old wheels (with the extenders) and install two original sized tires. (Korean Hanook P175 R14 1400 lbs load, max 44lbs air pressure) One of the former larger tires didn't survive being placed back on the old rims anyway..... Arg!   Here's a pic of the Hanooks, wheel extenders & wheels painted.

I also repainted the propane tank today.  It had minimal rust on the outside. The local propane yard expert has offered to inspect the fill valve (it has a bleeder & stop fill button) tomorrow and either filler 'er up or advise how to proceed with a repair or replacement.

RVFrontLeft1.jpg

PropaneTank1.jpg

I find that front wheel and adapter kind of interesting.  Got a measurement on the inside hole diameter and bolt-pattern?  I wonder if it's a Japanese Dyna wheel, just as the 6 lug wheels on the rear are.  Dyna/Toyota with 14" wheels changed from 6 lug to 5 lug pattern in the 80s in Asia.  Seems odd that anybody would go though the work of making those adapters in front just to fit some odd-ball wheel. I wonder if they were available off the shelf somewhere.  Please post some measurements.