Grey Water For Toilet

Hey guys, thinking of saving a little freshwater by re-plumbing the toilet to flush with grey water. I know I'll need another pump but I was gonna get a new on demand pump for fresh water anyway. Thoughts?

There is logic to that but I'm not sure it would be worth the time and expense. The toilet really does not use that much water and I'm not sure how well the pump would pass food particles from the sink it may jamb up the valves in the pump as the water has to pass through the valves and they are not real big.

First make sure you do in fact have a grey tank. Some of the older models just use one large tank for black and grey water.

Linda S

This too!

OK, I do have a grey tank as evidenced by two dump valves on the driver side.

The issue isn't so much of water use but one of filling up the black tank to quickly as I think the shower also dumps into the black tank. This will probably also be replumbed to drain into the grey tank.

Different opinions on this. First fill a couple jugs with water and use RV normally with toilet valve shut off, flush with jugs to see how much you will save. 2nd use your RV like you normally would and then let some of the grey water into a bucket. Take it and pour it in your toilet and let it sit there. If you are happy with that go for it! Do plan on an easy access filter for the pump, it will need frequent cleaning or changing. HTH Jim SW FL

Just as a point of information. We recently took an inline water meter with us on a trip. It takes .1 gallon to flush the toilet. Not much. A shower was 2.5 gallons for me, 3.6 gallons for my wife (including a shampoo of her hair which is quite long). Washing dishes is a big consumer. 1.5 gallons for breakfast dishes, 2.2 gallons for dinner dishes (just the two of us and we use real dishes, not paper plates, and we cook serious, three or four course dinners, so lots of pots and pans, even though we grill our entree outside).

So our most serious concern is not water usage, when hooked up, but storage space in the grey water tank. We use a pan in the sink to wash dishes and dump that water on trees outside. That helps a bunch.

So filling up the black water tank is not a concern. At .1 gals per flush we figure we can go a long time and not fill that tank.