Unfair Toyota Motorhome Bias??

zero

I just discovered one big disadvantage to using our Toyota Minicruiser - instead of my truck and slide-on camper.

We're going to Sugar Island to camp and look at some wetlands for sale in the area of Sault Sainte Marie (border of the upper peninsula of Michigan and Canada).

Just to cross the Mac Bridge - my full size diesel truck with a big camper on it only cost $4. To cross with my little Toyota RV - it's $10.

To take the ferry to Sugar Island, my truck and camper is only $11 (maybe $6 with my senior citizen discount). My Toyota costs $22.

So tolls for the round trip are $30 total for the truck and camper, and $64 for my Toyota.

I've vote for special pricing for micro-mini-motorhomes and not treat them the same as huge Class As.

I've wondering now if I could take my 1978 Chinook and argue that it's just a pickup truck with a camper on it? That's what Toyota claimed when they first came out with the Chinook but the US Federal Government did not agree.

Very weird pricing. Looking at the bridge fee schedule, it gets weirder. You can tow a huge trailer with your truck and still pay only the truck fee but if you tow a car with a motorhome you have to pay for both the car and the motorhome.

Here in California the pricing is by axle only. I have 2 axles so I pay the same as any car. 5 bucks

Linda S

Very weird pricing. Looking at the bridge fee schedule, it gets weirder.

Yes. Maybe because the Mac Bridge was built and financed by New Yorkers?

Ive been dinged on some Toll Ways, because I have duallys, on other states I skate because I have only 2 axles. Go figure.

Tires, they charge for the dual wheels same thing here in Maine on the highway. Crazy, my friends big Ford has single wheels and weights 8,300# pays less than a 6000# Toyota.

Here in New England the dual wheels raises the toll fee I have to pay both in Mass and Maine. (I imagine elsewhere as well)

In some ways it makes sense in the aggregate. Most vehicles with more tires weigh more and that is probably the logic behind it. It would be impractical to weigh vehicles as they pass for instance though would be nice to know as I zip through the fast pass lane if I'm running heavy. It is a revenue model and practicality wins.