Atwood Water Heater Will Not Fire. 92 Warrior

I have been trying to get my 6 gallon Atwood water heater to fire but to no avail. I can get a little pilot flame to light if i turn the pilot button all the way to right and hold it. As long as I hold it then the little pilot light will stay lit. I hold it and hold it and hold it but the first time that I let off of it the light goes out.

I have looked around on various sites and I have been led to believe that it is the gas pilot control valve. Does this seem right?

It is $75 and I do not want to buy it and find out I could have fixed it with some little something.

Thanks in advance for the any suggestions or comments.

blowing out the pilot line is a good idea too - I did this - made the pilot light bigger which helped get the thermocouple "warmed up" better.

My unit is a 4 gallon unit - the instructions say to hold the pilot on for 1 minute before switching to "on".

First camping trip this weekend and my lovely bride was impressed with amount of hot water that we could get through the propane heater while sitting in the middle of a field in the middle of nowhere. I think that she just might be convinced to do this camping thing after all. :)

best way is to spoil her with an rv I have never missed going in outhouses. and as a senyer citizen the older you get the shorter your internal plumbing gets. I just made a 5 day 5 nite trip to a remote mtn camp . and there is nothing like hot and cold running water 50 miles from anywhere. and in door tolit at midnite you cant beat it .