Vinyl Flooring

WME

Well it was time to remove 20 year old carpet and install new vinyl locking flooring.
Things learned, the rumors of a million staples in the carpet are wrong, there were only 250,000. I think the installer was paid by the staple and not by the hour.
Carpet in the bathroom is a bad idea, removing 20 year old bathroom carpet is almost as bad of an idea.
RVs are not square so there was a lot of trimming the flooring to get straight lines for the next row to lock correctly.
After 3 days it was worth it, the hand scraped Oak flooring looks great.

...After 3 days it was worth it, the hand scraped Oak flooring looks great.

Photos, please! :)

I was just in a rig yesterday where the owner had put in hand scraped oak clickable vinyl flooring. Nice looking material but in the heat (only 80 degrees outside but that is enough to build up heat in the interior) the vinyl was all wavy up and down off the surface of the sub floor. It felt horrible to walk on it and it looked not so great with that wavy surface.

Perhaps he did not do the installation correctly. The ones I read said to use hand roller on all seams then after the floor is laid use a 100 lb roller and go over the floor with it in both directions. It also might be that he did not have the temperature warm enough when he laid the floor. You need it warm enough that the adhesive is soft. So not a cold weather project unless you have the interior nice and toasty and all your materials have been inside in the heat to get them properly warmed up. But even then you are still facing an issue where if your interior gets really hot in the summer that the adhesive will soften and the flooring will raise up and buckle which is what I suspect happened to the floor I saw yesterday.

The flooring I used is from Belgium and is almost a 1/4" thick. You use NO adhesive. The instructions call for 1/4" gap around all edges. The floor floats and the edge of the molding hides the gap. The temp inside today was 100+ and the floor is still flat.

post-18-0-39255600-1433816463_thumb.jpg Winters accumulation of sale stuff.

post-18-0-85707200-1433817112_thumb.jpgCarpet gone, starting layout

post-18-0-40231300-1433856580_thumb.jpg Molding installed

post-18-0-71556800-1433817912_thumb.jpg Bathroom

post-18-0-57995300-1433818097_thumb.jpg Done

Moisture intrusion to the sub floor is always a possibility. With that in mind a breathable flooring covering the sub floor might a better idea as it will allow the sub floor to dry out and prevent mold formation.