Is this starter difficult to change? I have noticed some clicking ever now and then when attempting to start up engine. Sometimes twice then it will engage. Yes I know I need to also check cable connections which could be the source of this problem.

Just looking for advice on a good choice for where to get a replacement and wondering if I should just have it done by my local mechanic or just change it myself.

I have changed several starters over the years on a variety of vehicles just curious about how difficult this job is?

I will be picking up my mini this week at my daughter's farm 550 miles away. I may consider changing the starter before driving it back home in pa.

Changing the starter must be routine since there are no replies to this. Like I said I remember 2 vehicles a 62 Corvair convertible that I owned was difficult as you needed to loosen motor mounts to remove the starter. I recall also my jeep wagoneer 67 with a 327 v8 with similar problem.

90% of the time the problem with a 22r starter is the contacts. There several companies that offer contactor rebuild kits, $15-$25.

So if you have enough talent to remove a starter you should be able to redo the contacts.

This ^ it is a very common problem with Toyota starters. There is a tin plate behind the solenoid with 3 screws the contacts are inside or take it to a starter shop they'll know what to do with it. The starters last forever the contacts don't.

Thanks for the info. As usual you folks help keep me informed. I am preparing for a trip west again from nepa to San Francisco. The winnie has been parked at my daughter's farm since last fall in nc. I am going south to get it tomorrow. I'll be posting some info about the trip and again I am thankful to all of you who assisted me 2 years ago when I had some issues to deal with while traveling 6500 miles in my winnie. I feel more confident as we get ready to go again. We love this little unit!!

Thanks again and hope we meet up sometime in th future!!!

100 percent I went to a shop bought 2 solenoid contacts the guy said you are only one who buys these . we charge everyone else 50 bucks to install them when they bring in the starter. change them clean up the plunger should be ready to go.

Is this starter difficult to change?

I will be picking up my mini this week at my daughter's farm 550 miles away. I may consider changing the starter before driving it back home in pa.

Not a tough job. You can file down the solenoid contacts and get more life out of it if they are not burnt/worn too bad. I've done it several times in my Toyotas and Subarus. If you want a rebuilt starter - Rock Auto has them right now for $31 and no exchange needed. Good price to pick up one up.

I purchased a re-built starter for my 89 Dolphin from O'Reillys. It did not last very long. I bought a brand new one on Ebay for $75 and free shipping. No more "re-builds" for me.

All depends on what someone is calling a "rebuild." I put a rebuilt starter in my Chevy diesel Blazer in 1995 and it's never given me any trouble yet. At that time, the brand new Chinese clones for $99 were not available