2 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

Exactly. I don't see it finding it's way to the UPPER plate. And my boat always floats.

I'm somewhat puzzled by the airplane analogy. :)

where does the slime enter the bag derek? the top. it will seak the leak. Ive already fixed similar leaks before with this method so its ok if you aren't a believer. Air pressure can lift things that have quite heavy mass; they can even lift you. :)

And the leak you slimed was at the top plate? Near where the air hose enters? Or the opposite side? It seems to me that slime is a liquid and not a vapour so when it enters the air spring it'll pretty much obey the Laws of Gravity and flow pretty much straight down. Unless you hope capillary action will get it to flow horizontally or upwards.

I won't ask for an 8 hour video with full details of elevation and ambient temperatures. :

Yes, I'm well versed in pneumatics, hydraulics and properties of most fluids, though I'll admit to never playing with magical 'Slime'. :)

well you can certainly operate the sites search feature; yes top leak at the crimp.

since you are well versed in hydraulics your problem understanding fluid and pressure is off-putting however.

The video if i make one will be simply for those that think everyone else lies; as truth these days is as salt to a slug, i feel you.

Edited by Totem

now if the slime were entering from the bottom well then you might have a point. but it doesnt; and because its thick and not water it will run down the sides; like ranch dressing.. oh but it wont run down the sides? make it; put the vehicle on an incline that favors the lean in the direction of the leak and oh yes it will. but of course this is for pin leaks... if you have a chinese airbag that arrived defective and you didnt test it prior to installation ; and have a gaping hole in the bag at the seam... then you have bigger problem and one slime most likely cannot help.

Edited by Totem

2 hours ago, Derek up North said:

Exactly. I don't see it finding it's way to the UPPER plate. And my boat always floats.

I'm somewhat puzzled by the airplane analogy. :)

I find some of the references puzzling also

:rolleyes:

Silly Rabbit all you have to do is turn the Toy upside down and the slime will find the leak. Or I suppose you could remove the bag and just turn it upside down :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, WME said:

Silly Rabbit all you have to do is turn the Toy upside down and the slime will find the leak. Or I suppose you could remove the bag and just turn it upside down :rolleyes:

If I cannot turn the Toy upside down do I have to remove both bags or just the one that is leaking?        Jim

I'd start with the one leaking and if it works out, then you can fix the one that isn't broken.

5 minutes ago, WME said:

I'd start with the one leaking and if it works out, then you can fix the one that isn't broken.

Isn't it just easier to fix the one that isn't broken first?  I mean for the sake of efficiency and all.

I dunno if you fix the one that isn't broken, then you could have 2 bad ones. If you fix the broken one first, then work on the other one you'll have at least one good one.

You may have a point, many things are OK until I fix them. I have misplaced my "Shade Tree Mechanic encyclopedia" so cannot look it up.    Jim

My 89 is starting to look a bit saggy in the rear end + I'm about to start  carrying a cargo rack. I'm reading this thread and I'm not as keen on air bags as I was. I know of a. Great spring place, I think I'll start by getting the springs re arched and have an extra spring added. 

Kahuna

5 hours ago, notsobigkahuna said:

Yes, it's the kit I put into my 1988.  Comes with Goodyear bags and a lifetime warranty IF Goodyear keeps the bags available. 

If you look at mine, you'll see that I did not adhere to the installation instructions and drilled the top mount on the outside of the frame instead of the inside. It made the job MUCH easier. I had to change a few nuts and bolts around to keep the bags centered but it all worked fine.

I've got mine at the back  bumper, on the right and left of my spare tire.  Three fill valves.  One for the left air-bag, one for the right air-bag, and one that goes to both air-shocks.

DSCF3009.JPG

DSCF3010.JPG

7 hours ago, Derek up North said:

With some check valves I assume?

The $60 air-shock kit only came with one fill port.  So both shocks have their hoses going to one tee fitting with a single Schrader-valve in it.  Unlike the air-bag suspension kit that comes with two separate Schrader valves.

close.JPG

31 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

Ah, I'd forgotten that you had both air springs and air shocks installed. Do you find adjusting the air shock's pressure makes much difference given that they only offer limited lift compared to the air springs?

I have no idea if those air-shocks help anything.  They were $60 and at the time, I figured it wouldn't hurt to have them.  I suspect it's the Goodyear air-bags that do all the work.  That being said, Gabriel air-shocks were standard equipment on many Toyota RVs in the 70s-80s before air-bag suspension became more of the norm.  I know that on the older trucks with non-staggered shocks - the top mounts would bend. Not really suited for air-shocks with an overloaded RV.  My 1988 has the staggered shock-mounts and they are stronger.  

Minicruisers did not come OEM with any type or air-assist.  They came with Hellwig helper-springs instead.  It rode OK as it was, but I wanted it setup to handle the worst-case load as I will  be having this week.  My  30 year-old daughter and granddaughter are flying here from NY, and my older son is flying here from Colorado.  Then all of us are going to cram into our poor Toyota Minicrusier and tour the Michigan UP and Mackinac Island (where my wife used to work).   So, including the dog and six people, I figure 1000 lbs. of extra weight just for things that breathe. It is already crammed with crap without people.  We are NOT all going to camp in it. Just a vehicle we can all fit in and "tour" a bit.   When we get to the Michigan UP where our cabin is - I figure some of us with use the cabin (has two beds) and the rest use the camper IF it can drive on that road there without getting stuck.  Lots of heavy logging going on there now and the road is like loose  beach sand. Log trucks are really tearing up the road. Last week I went there with my Ford truck and got stuck in 2WD.   4WD was fine.   But that was because I stopped in a loose spot. Had I kept rolling, I'd been OK with 2WD.  So hopefully the Toyota RV will be OK. It gets much better traction then my truck in 2WD anyway. 

On 7/14/2016 at 9:45 PM, notsobigkahuna said:

I got one , the kit that is, for $210 on Amazon today. Where do you guys mount the fill valves. 

K

I was just trying to level my Toy using the air bags, if the fill valves were in the rear it would be a bit eaiser.   HTH  Jim