93 Seabreeze V6 Auto.

I am gathering up parts for AC redo and such. I ordered condenser, drier, radiator. I find myself confused on transmission cooler, most seem to be universal and not direct replacements. Will also be replacing belts and hoses and timing belt, AC compressor at the same time.

Is any cooler better, easier to install or a favorite?

Thanks for all the input and advice, it helps me immensely. While not always followed it is always greatly appreciated. JIm SW FL

If you live in a really cold area, I was told that a tranny cooler with a thermostat was a good idea. I don't know about that because I only use my RV in the summer. I do know that in hot areas, bigger is better. When you install it, make sure that you have the fluid going through the radiator first and then the extra tranny cooler before going back to the transmission.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the response. I do have one an original Toyota part. The radiator leaks and condenser look kinda ratty so will be replacing both, might as well replace the tranny cooler while everything is apart.

Jim SW FL

Hi, I have an external cooler on my 85 22re Auto. These tranny's have a bypass valve that reduces flow to cooler until hot enough. There's a TSB about putting a weaker spring in the valve body to allow flow sooner. I just recently replaced my aftermarket ac setup with stock. There is a pipe infront of the condenser now which required I had to relocate my cooler. So I put it behind the condenser in front of the 3 core radiator. The radiator frame had a bevel which allowed the hoses to pass freely. I got the biggest tube and fin cooler available as the small stacked plate one I tried did not cool enough. I had to reduce the hose size from the cooler to the tubes. But when the bypass valve slams open the temp jumps but cools really quick. Pete

I have done a lot of these transmissions in years past I wonder where the valve is in the valve body? Do you have a TSB number? Regardless too cool on these transmissions in a motor home is not an issue so don't fret that a cooler might be too big.

I'd stick the biggest cooler in there that will fit. I'm curious what you come up with. The OEM cooler is pretty small, at least in my 1988.. Most bigger coolers come with thermostatically controlled bypass thermostats to make sure the oil isn't too cool in cold weather. Transmisssion oil can indeed be too cool in any rig when driven in cold weather. That's why most autos have tubes in the radiators that work as coolers and heaters. Probably not an issue for most RV users but it is for some. When I get around to it - I'm going to put a B&M "plate and fin" cooler in my 1988. Part # 70264. Has a built in thermostat and measures 2.5" X 14" X 11.5". I'm anxious to install this summer and see if it makes any substantial difference when doing long hill-climbs. Here's some old tests done in the 70s with various coolers. Not much has changed since then except that newer transmissions with lock-up torque-converters make a lot less heat (when locked-up).

post-6578-0-16111400-1432474802_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-59293800-1432474804_thumb.jp

93 Sea Breeze, 6 cyl auto.

I am not a mechanic and depend on the forum's for info and advice and am seldom disappointed. This project is in my near future and have been gathering parts for it as time and funds permit. I have a transmission temperature gauge (unhooked) and an external transmission oil filter, so assuming there was an issue with the transmission at one time? It will be a large project, also doing timing belt, water pump, converting to 134A, will start another thread when I begin.

I live in SW FL so most driving will be on flats in warm to hot, humid weather.

A quick web search shows B&M 70264 http://www.ebay.com/itm/B-M-70264-Automatic-Transmission-Cooler-/261899599593 a small kit for $29.99 plus S&H. Aslo a larger kit for $85.90 http://www.amazon.com/70264-SuperCooler-Automatic-Transmission-Cooler/dp/B000CIIDZE.

I do not see a hose and some odd's and ends as being worth $50, correct me if I am wrong?

Also I do not see a built in thermostat listed with the B&M 70264? Is it there or does it need to be added? JIm SW FL

The B&M plate cooler have a built in "low temperature bypass".

...Not much has changed since then except that newer transmissions with lock-up torque-converters make a lot less heat (when locked-up).

Under what conditions does the TC lock up?? If you are climbing a hill in 2nd or 1st gear and the motor revs are high will it lock up ??

I'd stick the biggest cooler in there that will fit. I'm curious what you come up with. The OEM cooler is pretty small, at least in my 1988.. Most bigger coolers come with thermostatically controlled bypass thermostats to make sure the oil isn't too cool in cold weather. Transmisssion oil can indeed be too cool in any rig when driven in cold weather. That's why most autos have tubes in the radiators that work as coolers and heaters. Probably not an issue for most RV users but it is for some. When I get around to it - I'm going to put a B&M "plate and fin" cooler in my 1988. Part # 70264. Has a built in thermostat and measures 2.5" X 14" X 11.5". I'm anxious to install this summer and see if it makes any substantial difference when doing long hill-climbs. Here's some old tests done in the 70s with various coolers. Not much has changed since then except that newer transmissions with lock-up torque-converters make a lot less heat (when locked-up).

in my 90 the oem cooler is around 4inchx4inch in size.

I had a 2002 Honda accord, it was extra cold one morning in Jan of 2003, around -18F and the tranny would not shift out of 1st year.

So, using dex VI is better being syn atf, it will flow better in cold temps?

JDE, did ya install a tranny temp sensor?

The radiator tubes is a "New" feature? did we have it in our 85s or in 90s?

I know I have it in my Honda Truck, I just replaced one due to corrosion of the tranny line washer to the radiator.

You've got a gauge. What temperature are you seeing?

Zero! The temperature gauge is unhooked and constantly displays 0. :D

I looked at the OE cooler and the space it is in, there is little room for anything bigger. The OE cooler is 6"X8"X1" approximately. It is marked Toyota 3502.

Anyone find something bigger that would fit? 93 Sea Breeze V6 auto.

Jim SW FL

in my 90 the oem cooler is around 4inchx4inch in size.

I had a 2002 Honda accord, it was extra cold one morning in Jan of 2003, around -18F and the tranny would not shift out of 1st year.

So, using dex VI is better being syn atf, it will flow better in cold temps?

JDE, did ya install a tranny temp sensor?

The radiator tubes is a "New" feature? did we have it in our 85s or in 90s?

I know I have it in my Honda Truck, I just replaced one due to corrosion of the tranny line washer to the radiator.

Yes, I’ve got a transmission temperature gauge in my 1988 Minicruiser (2.4 with A43D). Temp runs 190F most of the time but climbs to 230F on any steep hill.

In reference to the transmission cooler/heater tubes in the radiators – they’ve been around as long as I have. My first car with an automatic trans was a 1949 Pontiac with a straight 8 and it had the tube in the radiator. I don’t recall ever seeing a car or truck with auto trans that did not have one (older cars that is). I own nothing newer then 2002 and don’t know what the newest stuff has.

Transmissions that have slippage issues in cold weather have oil flow problems in the filter area. That can be caused by the filter or the oil. For sure, Dexron VI has the best cold-oil-flow.

TSB 021041787 Apr 87 in Alldata

So what does the bulletin say or warn us about? I don't want to buy a subscription just to read a few lines of text.

I know that Toyota had to make changes in the A43D tech-manual but I don't know what those changes are. Toyota has service bulletin #195064 for the changes - dated June 25, 2005.

Two can play at that game! :)

What's the 'Readers Digest' version of TSB #195064 as well as TSB #021041787?

If anyone does have AllData, was there ever a TSB that suggests that the 22R-E or 3VZ-FE should use anything other than Ethylene Glyco antifreeze (i'e. Toyota 'Pink' or 'Red') or (as I suspect) were these developed for later engine designs (as metallurgy changed).