Another Good Article - On Transmission Coolers

zero

JDE, I have a 90 v6 RWD (probably an 89 chasis), did any of the toyos come with factory tranny coolers? if yes, are they adequate?

Sorry my truck is in storage and you article sparked the question in my mind.

Thanks,

I recently junked a 1987 Toyota dually box truck with the A43D trans and 2.4 engine and it had a factory installed cooler in front. So does my 1988 Toyota Minicruiser with a 2.4.

that is great news,

my Toyota sienna van had a tow package and it had a factory cooler, that was pretty lame,

newer vehicles have the transmission line going into the core inside the radiator, not sure if this is in conjunction with an external cooler too. I need to check my Honda ridgeline truck.

Shibs asked if Modine was still around, yes they are, but have lost market share to the serpentine dezine coolers, most popular is Trans-tool / Hayden all aluminum...These are inexpensive and adequate for most applications.. I say most because if you are in a low temp area, say 20 degrees or less---you do not want or need the xtra cooling.....There are header & stacked plate designs that offer to allow the cold fluid which is thicker to bypass being cooled & will allow only warmer / thinner fluid to pass thru the cooler.. They are passive and need no xtra plumbing,,,,,,,,,,a bit more costly.Check,: B&M-----Derale----& Tru Cool, although I think Tru Cool may require a by pass kit....There are also pan coolers that have tubes passing thru the deeper sump.. I used these only on drag cars.

On your motorhome if you are not using it in VERY cold climates ..The Hayden unit will do fine,, Be sure to measure your area & buy the LARGEST one that will fit....

There are others out there on the market, my shop has been closed for a few years now & I am not up to speed on all the newcomers.

B&M & Hayden are names that are most easily recognized by anyone that has been in the industry..HTH........Donnie

The moderator may want to move this into another category........??