The valve stems seem to be original equipment on my 93 Toy, so I will replace when I have new tires mounted. I am hoping someone will have some suggestions or pictures, part numbers, supplier on valve stems for the the rear duals. Or some setup that works well.

JIm SW FL

best thing is to use metal stems somebody on here knows where and how to get the org ones . mine are brass they might be origanl I don't know. as I recall it takes a certain one. front or rear myn are all the same.

The valve stems seem to be original equipment on my 93 Toy, so I will replace when I have new tires mounted. I am hoping someone will have some suggestions or pictures, part numbers, supplier on valve stems for the the rear duals. Or some setup that works well.

JIm SW FL

I don't think you're going go find any valve-stems that are exactly like the originals. When I put my new tires on last fall - I searched for valve stems from many HD tire accessory suppliers. Metric and US standards. I finally gave up. My originals were steel and were held on to the rim with threads and a nut. They also had the correct bend in them and were pretty long. I finally gave up and just used "push-in" high-pressure stems. Not as long as the old ones and no nut anymore. They are fine, just a little short and not as easy to reach. Note there is nothing wrong with stems with rubber in them for your Toyota. It's a matter of what they are rated at. Standard low pressure stems for cars are just about always rubber and NOT suitable. But high-pressure stems come in rubber, steel, push-in, and bolt-on.

You could also take your's out by removing the nut and then make new rubber washers for them. That is if your's are the OEM stems with the threaded nut.

If you want to research more then I did - your wheels were made by Topy of Japan. You could try sending them an email and ask them about OEM valves for the wheels they made.

http://www.topy.co.jp/english/dept/wheel/

The tire valves in the Topy wheels are "clamp-on" for a 9.7 mm hole. Kind of an odd-ball in the USA. A TR544D valve fits and is close to what came OEM on Toyota Topy wheels.

post-6578-0-26291600-1422546656_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-59076600-1422546715_thumb.jp

The thread was “metal valve stems” nothing specific NAPA has metal valve stems they work perfectly provided you “A” put the wheels on correctly and “B” have the inflation tool designed to be used with dual wheels regardless of what stem you have.

My point was, and still is - I was unable to find any USA sellers who had the same long 9.3 mm tire valves with the correct bend like the original TOPY wheels came with. Everything I came across was shorter - like the one NAPA has. Makes it harder to check or even get your fingers in there to put the cap back on - unless you install an extension.

Thanks for all the input. I stopped at NAPA today for valve stems. They did not have any in stock so they ordered some for me. I do not recall price but close to $6, with a $13 list price!

I do not want to use extensions of any kind. I came close to losing a $400 tire on my motorhome a few years ago, because a big buck fancy SS extension leaked.

This time the tire that blew had a 3" solid extension. The tire valve stem was cracked in the threads by the shrader valve. It was not noticeable untill I removed the extension. I do not believe it leaked and caused the blowout, but still?

I thought that the brass valves were bendable?? Again thanks for all the input, always greatly appreciated.

Don't they have a valve stem cap dohicky, tool?

Edited, the ones they ordered will not work. JIm SW FL

Edited by jjrbus

I used the straight valve stems on mine never had any problems caps or other wise they don't bend when you try to put air in them and the double ended tool fit right on the inside wheel.

Found this on the internet for anyone that is interested. Expireing minds need to know : )

The selection of valve hardware is based on wheel type, wheel size, and tire air pressure specification. Most of today's valves are made out of brass because it is corrosion resistant and can easily be bent to facilitate servicing.

http://www.truckinginfo.com/article/story/2011/08/what-you-need-to-know-about-tire-valves.aspx HTH JIm SW FL

"... and can easily be bent to facilitate servicing."

I can't say I quite understand this. Maybe after more coffee. :)

Makes sense to me. You can custom bend the brass valves and have them point where ever you want them for ease of access. The originals from TOPY were steel and NOT easily bent.

The ones I orderd from NAPA are the TR544d. I did a test fit on the duals and can see where this valve would be hard to use on the inside dual. I am not pushed for time so will check some more and hopefully find something better at a reasonable cost.

Any input, suggestions, thoughts or wise cracks greatly appreciated. JIm SW FL

You want a TR-546D. 4 1/2" long with a 60 degree bend.

Tire valves for Topy wheels – TR-546D. 9.3 mm clamp-on. 4.3” long.

Other #s: Hamton 1-505D, Dill VS-546D, Haltec tV-546D, Myers 24244, and 31Inc 17-546D.

post-6578-0-54150400-1422739848_thumb.jp

At this place too if you don't to use Ebay.

Could you please revise your earlier post with the tr544d listed so people don't order the wrong ones if they don't read the whole thread. Often when people are searching for a part they go with the first part number listed especially when it's posted by an experienced mechanic like you.

Linda S

I wish I'd done more research BEFORE I got my last set of tires. When I first stopped at the tire place to order my new Federal tires (got them over-night) - I asked if they had valves like the OEM on my Toyota and they said "yes." When I came back the next day to drop off my six wheels - the guy looked closer and said he only had the shorter valves. So I called all around that day and the only place that I found would only let me buy a box of 100 of the damn things. So I said "screw it" and went with the shorter valves. I curse them now every time I have to reach in to get the caps on and off.

Now I see there are several seller who will sell them in small quantities.

Patchboy.com sells the TR-546D valve for $3.20 each in any small quantity you want.

http://patchboy.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code=17-546D&Category_Code=6-9

Wurth sells them in a box of 10 for $27.30

http://www.shopwurthusa.com/wurthstorefront/Tire,-Wheel-and-Brake-Supplies/Tire-Valve-Stems-%26-Caps/TR546D-METRIC-TRUCK-VALVE-60DEG,-4-3-8%22/p/1879546

Ebay has then in boxes of 10 for $27.50.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-3-35-60-BRASS-HEAVY-TRUCK-TRAILER-TIRE-VALVE-VALVES-XTS-17-546D-TR-546D-/301413365213

post-6578-0-56354400-1422800394_thumb.jp

The search for valve stems has gotten a little out of hand. Hard to believe that something so simple is so difficult, but I refuse to have difficult stems like I did last time. I have spent too much time on the internet and running to parts stores, trying different valves and I am tired of the toy sitting on a jack stand. Plus my friend will want his floor jack back someday.

I stopped at the Toyota dealer on the way home on my last trip and they were $15 each!

I experimented with different inflators on the original valves and they are fine with the right inflator.

I ordered 4 of the ones Linda S posted http://Toyota 1 Ton Truck V6 #9094205026 and three others from another Ebay dealer in hopes one order might show up quicker. They are stating delivery between Feb 12 and 17th.

Thanks for all the input on this it is always greatly appreciated. JIm SW FL

Well the second valve stem JD posted doesn't fit either. Stem needs to come up straight for 2 to 2.5 inches on the inside wheel before it even starts the bend to clear the hole in the outside wheel. These bend into between the tires and no way to get to them. Got them local though so I can return them. Would work on outside wheel but I prefer to have mine all the same. Guess valve extensions are the way to go

Linda S

No these look like stainless steel and don't bend and they still wouldn't be long enough to get to them. Need 2.5 inches to center of hole the another 2 to clear it easily. Those dually rims are quite far apart

Linda S

Well it does say they are nickel plated brass but sure don't bend easily and since I don't think they will fit anyway I'm just leaving them alone so I can return them. Not a big deal, I didn't even buy tires yet. Just thought it would be nice to have on hand for when I do

The valves I looked at, at O'Rielly's auto parts are nickel-plated brass and bend without too much effort. The TR-546D comes in at least three different versions though.

post-6578-0-77178200-1423176732_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-42893500-1423176771_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-67966500-1423176772_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-20818200-1423176786_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-31708200-1423176787_thumb.jp

Like I said those all bend almost immediately. To work they have to come up completely straight and bend only at the end for a bit. To get this one to even touch the rim where the other valve stem is I had to squeeze my hand between the wheels. Ones used on the inside wheel if they fit also would never work on the outside wheel. Too complicated. Valve extensions are easier and they come with a clip to attach to the hole so it's right there to put air in.

Linda S

I do think the first ones you posted, the V3-20-6 would work on the inside wheel and clear the hole enough to fill it. It would not come through the hole though to make it easy. You would still be sticking the air hose into the wheel hole to get to the valve. Can't really tell without one here and I can't find anyplace that sells them individually. Large lots only

Linda S

After trying different valve stems I decided that the original stems are the way to go. A bit more expensive but by changing my inflator, they are the easiest to use! Thanks to Linda S I ordered http://www.ebay.com/...=p2054897.l4275 , They are in town and will be delivered tomorrow, so will only be 2 weeks to change tires!

I have had bad experiences with valve extensions and will not use them. Plus the cost of proper stems is balanced by not buying extensions. I know many people use extensions with no problems, but I am not one of them. Plus on the Toy the extension hid a broken valve stem, when I unscrewed the extension the end of the stem came with it. Was this the cause of my blowout? I do not know.

This is the end of a tire pressure gauge, it works well on the original stems, I need to find an inflator of the same configuration. Also need to remember to align valve stems when I reinstall wheels, also the duals need to be the same side to side.

Then there is looking into inflate through valve stem caps. I do not know if these are a good idea or not yet?

JIm SW FL

post-8092-0-01283200-1423404893_thumb.jp

post-8092-0-37443100-1423405183_thumb.jp

post-8092-0-82418500-1423405510_thumb.jp

That's just where I ended up. I have many friends with the larger RV's and trucks with duals and they have all had problems with extensions over time. Toyota made them that way for a reason.
That tire gauge looks like the end of the dial gauge I got at camping world.

Just make sure they install them properly. The older ones had a pair of flats to use a wrench on to prevent them from turning while you tighten the collar nut on the outside. The new ones have a slot machined in the center for a screwdriver instead.
The toy "dealer" did not install several of mine pointed in the proper direction and I had to take it back. Service writer couldn't see what I was complaining about !!! They were too lazy to fix it right by dismounting the tire so he used a pair of vicegrips to hold the brass tube from the outside and collapsed one, held air but I couldn't put a valve stem cap on it :) !!!!
Bastards made me pay for the replacement. I took the tire off and had it replaced by a tire shop so all is well now.
Where I live it's really hard to find anyone even competent to do repair work on anything. Soooo sorry I sold the building I had my shop in, biggest mistake I ever made.

Poopies! I have been concerned about the valve stems being install properly! I had just about convinced myself that I was making much ado about nothing and just being one those nobody can do it right anymore old men!

I have the tires and wheels off and will attempt to break the bead and install them myself, before I take them for mounting and balancing.

I am thinking the O ring should have a bit of silicone grease also?

Thanks for posting. JIm SW FL

If they aren't pointed at the center of the triangular hole in the wheel hard to see how you could get an air chuck/gauge in there :)
I don't know what SF Toyota did, but the tire shop recommended on this board who replaced the damaged one assembled it dry. I do not see how any no oyx grease would hurt unless Toyota is using O rings made of non standard materials, but is important for everything to be really clean on assembly. If you can dismount the old tires yourself I would say go for it and clean the rims up on the inside where the tire bead goes for sure also.

I gave up on the appearance of the wheels and got those chrome looking covers they call wheel simulators, look great now. But I did have to do substantial increase in holes of rear simulators with a Dremel and a cut-off wheel, the fronts are an exact fit.