Fuel Mileage Of Cab & Chassis Trucks Over Time

zero

we've the got the 1987 Seabreeze with EFI and auto trans. we consistently get 13 mpg. engine has 40,000 original miles. always maintained in top shape. sometimes we get up to 60-65 mph but mostly near 55.

Seabreeze is one of the larger profiled RVs . The upper bed area has a full like 8 inches of height compared to a Sunrader I think If I remember what someone showed me at a rally. Pushing more air probably doesn't help but 13 MPG seems bad. air filter, injectors, distributor cap and spark plugs I would check.

After market Headers will definitely sound better and get rid of that hidden rust hole raspy sound. not sure if MPG would be increased but HP could be for sure.

In the summer I always have a 7 gallon gas can full at all times to run portable inverter generator off of. I confess I have lately had a habit of seeing how far I can push it to the next exit knowing if i run out I can road fuel if emergency. I run the needle below the "E" on every tank now.

I too get anxious when my fuel gauge is half way down, even with 35 gallon tank in my diesel, take the first exit with decent diesel.

I wonder if putting in after market headers will get more mpg? it is worth the $$?

My Dodge diesel pickup holds 75 gallons of fuel. That being said - I never let it get too low. Finding diesel fuel is not always easy, and even harder to find diesel stations with the smaller and lower-flow nozzles made for cars and small trucks. Trying to fill up with a big-rig nozzle is difficult, to say the least.

Two years ago we were going to camp for a week near Whitefish Bay in the Michigan UP. Had my Ford diesel truck that only holds 40 gallons of fuel. We were half-empty when we got to the town of Paradise. That's the only place in the area that sells diesel fuel. Got there and found out they'd closed their doors and went out of business. We gave up our trip and drove back to a populated area. After that, NEVER again. I keep my tanks full when convenient.

I don't think you'll gain anything but aggravation putting headers on your Toyota. At least on an older engine like a small-block Chevy or Ford V8 - the original cast-iron manifolds are very restrictive so there's some gain to be had. With the Toyota? The OEM manifold is pretty well designed as it is. Aftermarket steel-tube headers throw off a lot of heat and burn out after awhile. They also often leak.

we've the got the 1987 Seabreeze with EFI and auto trans. we consistently get 13 mpg. engine has 40,000 original miles. always maintained in top shape. sometimes we get up to 60-65 mph but mostly near 55.

I suspect you, and I, are losing around 2 MPG just to the auto trans and constant 12-15% torque-converter loss/slippage. That's one thing I like when seeing specs like the EPA has. Regardless of HOW they test- their methodology is probably consistent. They show a 2 MPG gain with Toyota cab & chassis rigs between automatic (no lock up) and manual trans. That all said, the Winnebago Lesharos with 2.2 liter EFI gas engines HAVE lock-up automatic transmissions with OD. They only get 13-15 MPG max.

When traveling cross country I carry 2-2.5 gallon cans of fuel on the rear bumper. I do this just in case I can't make the next gas station. I want more gas in the tank at 200 miles. I recorded every gallon of fuel that I have put into the RV. On my last trip from Wisconsin out through SD, WY, ID. Mont, ND, MN back to WI and I got right around 13.5 mpg. I drive 55 mph most of the time. The valves are properly adjusted, new plugs, wires, & distributer cap before the trip.

1988 Escaper, 22Re, auto trans. I talked to 3 other TOY RV owners in Yellowstone and they were getting about the same mpg.

I recorded every gallon of fuel that I have put into the RV. On my last trip from Wisconsin out through SD, WY, ID. Mont, ND, MN back to WI and I got right around 13.5 mpg. I drive 55 mph most of the time. The valves are properly adjusted, new plugs, wires, & distributer cap before the trip.

1988 Escaper, 22Re, auto trans. I talked to 3 other TOY RV owners in Yellowstone and they were getting about the same mpg.

I get the same sort of info from people I quiz IF they actually check. I am kind of amazed though at how many people do not check, or do not know HOW to check mileage. Or had one bad fill out of 100 fills that resulted in one all-time high of 20 MPG instead of 13-14 MPG. That's the fun thing when driving a diesel. Diesel fuel foams something awful and with some pumps - it's near impossible to get a tank full unless you spend a lot of time at it. So I often get bad fills that show 23 MPG instead of 16-17 MPG. When people ask me about mileage with my diesel truck camper - my first thought it that high of 23 MPG that really never happened. Sounds good, though. That is why I find life-time averages a lot more accurate. Just not many people keep them, it seems.

Just recently I was buying some farm equipment from a new "horse-woman" who moved into the area. Sorry for the title but it denotes a certain type - at least in my mind. Seems to hate men, loves horses, buys a 50 acre farm, and has a new $60,000 truck and trailer with a lot of "I hate men" or "men are dumb" bumper stickers. Her sticker was "men are good for only one thing - paying for my horses." Anyway, to my point. Since she had a new Dodge 1 ton dually with Cummins diesel I asked her how she liked it and what kind of fuel mileage she was getting. She told me "always over 30 MPG empty" and 20 MPG when pulling the trailer. Hmmm. I know, for sure that the truck can do no better then 20 MPG empty and maybe 14 MPG pulling that trailer around. I said nothing, though. So, was she lying, fantasizing, or just citing the highest MPG number she ever saw on her computer screen while coasting down a hill?

We check our milage on every trip. 86 Sunrader, 4 cyl, FI, auto tranny. Most trips involve a good many hills, and often wind. If possible we travel without fresh or waste water. Usually drive 60. Don't/can't use overdrive as our elevations are usually over 3000 ft. Our milage really fluctuates depending on the combination of variables, which is what one would expect. The best we've ever recorded was 19 mpg and the worst was 11 mpg.

From time to time I look up average mpg for something a bit larger and am not tempted to buy something different.

Got home yesterday from Quartzsite rally. Drove 2506 miles with a high of 15.710 and a low of 11.384. Averaged 13.67 MPG. Driving a 94 Warrior 321rb. Always fill the water and have extra food. Tried to maintain 60-63 mph and overdrive on and cruise on.

It is nice to see people that actually know what their mileage is and not repeating a fantasy number. My dad always kept track of his gas. It rubbed off on both of my brothers and I. We all record every gallon we put in the tank. When I got back from my last trip, the first question my dad had was: "Did you have any problems?" and the second question was: "What was your gas mileage?"

One of our buddies was there and said that keeping track of every gallon of gas has got to be hereditary problem with our family.

• 2 months later...

A little late to be posting, but I'm just going to chime in with stats from a recent 1,000+ mile trip in my 91 320RB Warrior (V6, auto, 60-65mph, 2 adults + 2 small pooches, luggage, etc):

12-13mpg

Ctg,

thanks for posting your mpg, I have v6 90 and never have driven enough to gauge mpg.

Here is the irony, my chevy 3/4 ton full size truck plus 33 ft holiday rambler = 16k lbs get about 14 mpg if I keep it around 63 mph.

I know half-a-dozen people with new 3/4 ton or 1 ton trucks pulling 30 foot plus trailers. None get better than 10 MPG with gas and sometimes up to 12 MPG with diesels. Your's must be magic. That is unless you've got a trailer with a pop-up roof.

My neighbor just completed a 4000 mile trip with his 2003 Chevy Suburban with a 6 liter V8 and 30 foot camper. He got an average of 8.5 MPG for the trip and 65 MPH was the fastest he drove.

My diesel Dodge truck can pull a high-roof 9000 lb. trailer and get 12-13 MPG. Same truck with a pop-up roof truck camper gets 17 MPG.

My diesel Ford truck can pull a high-roof 9000 lb. trailer and get 11-12 MPG. Same truck with a high-roof slide-on camper gets 14 MPG.

My 1988 Toyota Minicruiser has so far, a "lifetime" average of 13.6 MPG.

I know half-a-dozen people with new 3/4 ton or 1 ton trucks pulling 30 foot plus trailers. None get bettery then 10 MPG with gas and sometimes up to 12 MPG with diesels. Your's must be magic. That is unless you've got a trailer with a pop-up roof.

My neighbor just completed a 4000 mile trip with his 2003 Chevy Suburban with a 6 liter V8 and 30 foot camper. He got an average of 8.5 MPG for the trip and 65 MPH was the fastest he drove.

My diesel Dodge truck can pull a high-roof 9000 lb. trailer and get 12-13 MPG. Same truck with a pop-up roof truck camper gets 17 MPG.

My diesel Ford truck can pull a high-roof 9000 lb. trailer and get 11-12 MPG. Same truck with a high-roof slide-on camper gets 14 MPG.

JDE,

actual best mpg from my 1300 miles trip,

it is relative easy to get bad mpg.

I bought some pooooopy diesel in IOWA and gotten no better than 11 mpg, I am pretty sure I was stuck in regen.

My truck gets 11 mpg while on regen, I can take up to 110 mph and still get 10.5 mpg. that is by itself, don't ask how I know ;-)

Dunno, if my truck has magic or it is just the Mexican food I ate in Nebraska.

post-4191-0-05004600-1429964203_thumb.jp

I know half-a-dozen people with new 3/4 ton or 1 ton trucks pulling 30 foot plus trailers. None get better than 10 MPG with gas and sometimes up to 12 MPG with diesels. Your's must be magic. That is unless you've got a trailer with a pop-up roof.

We just purchased a 26 ft prowler travel trailer weighing in at around 5000 pounds loaded. My tow vehicle is a 2002 f350 crew cab dually with the power stroke 7.3 diesel. Almost 50 ft long. A recent trip into the Sierras then another to Redding got an average 10 mpg and better. I run a light tow tune (up to 8000 pounds) with the f350. With that tune it gets 10 plus mpg with or without the trailer. A couple weeks earlier we took our 1990 toyota Gulfstream V6 to Oregon. On the way up 5 north to Redding we had some good head winds. Could not keep it in overdrive even on the flats. MPG on the way up was dismal, 8-10. On the way home from Oregon got 13 to 14. 60 to 70 mph in the toy and 55-60 with the f350/trailer.

post-1-0-08714700-1429987289_thumb.jpg