Trip Home

jjrbus

Loaded up the truck with tools and called in a favor from a friend for the 3 1/2 hour drive to Ocala Fl to pick up the Seabreeze. Cold front coming in and the weather was cold windy and rainy, not the type of day to pick up an unknown vehicle for a 200 mile drive.

Was able to top off a few of the tires until the sellers air chuck broke. Then had to proceed a few miles to fully air up all the tires. I don't like driving on these tires, they look good but are old, around 2002 DOT date. We get going and I am unable to drive over 58 due to a vibration that starts there, plus it is very windy out, so am white knuckling it.

10 miles from home and I get one of those, "whats that feeling", a flat maybe?? I am looking for a place to pull over and blam! accompanied by lots of noise. Inside passenger side rear dual shreds. Am I glad I made a point to sign up for CoachNet yesterday.

The road service guy shows up and his first question is do you have any experience changing duals, just my luck a new guy. I can change a dual, we have trouble jacking it, but manage to change tire and spare is OK.

I am pulling out and get about 20 feet and realize something is wrong. Stop and look with the new guy and a brace of some kind was ripped loose and is between the inner tire and spring, with a big screw almost against the tire! No damage done and we get it out, can't believe he missed that? Nothing seems to be falling off so I guess it is OK to leave.

As I get going I notice most of the vibration is gone. Glad I had the premonition to get Emergency Road Service.

This is the condensed version, there is the dying cellphone battery, no flashlight, ERS sent to wrong location, ERS miscommunication and on and on. But don't want to bore anyone.

JIm

You had a spare that fit the rear duallies? Or you completely changed the tire from one wheel to the dually wheel. Most people with a flat on a dually just keep driving on one wheel on that side. I have done it for 30 miles or more. Of course if you had to go hundreds of miles and the shredded tire was damaging the other tire I guess changing immediately is a must.

I wonder if that brace was a bracket for you air suspension bags. You will have to check and see if they are still there. Lots of stuff to check out on your new rig for sure

Linda S

OH oh, the dually on a 94 is different? On the ones I have dealt with the outer dually is a regular wheel on the vehicle turned inside out??

Tire was shredded, would have done much damage. Part was welded to frame on one end.

Thanks for the responses JIm

I had a similar experience last year. Starting a trip to Chicago, the camper had some vibration from the rear. I attributed it to flat spots on the tire from sitting for a couple of months. Limited to about 55 because of the discomfort. About 30 miles later the vibration became a jack hammer and the inside tire on driver side dually blew. Looked like tire had developed a bulge. No damage around the fender. This was one of the Goodyear tires that came free when I bought my dually wheels from the Uhaul shop. Date code around 2005 but tire looked brand new. 3 of 5 Goodyears have bit the dust now. One is now a spare and the other in my garage.

Night time on a dark road in the country. Drove 15 miles to the first gas station near Dyersburg, TN on Highway 51.

Changed the tire myself with the Toyota jack. The spare was good. The clouds of mosquitos were not. Got a lot of curious looks from locals stopping to buy beer at the convenience mart.

After an hours delay, continued trip to first stop at Scott Air Force Base campground, arriving around midnight (bought a Hankook in Waukegan near Great Lakes Naval Base, continued south to the Mid West Toy-in).

One of the first things I added to my RV was a good 6 ton hydraulic bottle jack. It lifts the RV with very little effort on the jack handle. i had a Toyota 1/2 ton pickup with the same jack that came with the RV and I imagine it requires a pretty good effort to crank up a 6000 pound vehicle. I carry my 18 volt impact driver and socket sets in case I have to change a tire while on the road. I have changed 4 tires for others while on the road with the RV and people are always very appreciative for the help. Before my lengthy summer trip in 2014 I also replaced all of my aged tires. Aged wine and cheese if good, not aged tires.

I am glad that both of you got through your tire ordeals without much damage. I saw a camper trailer that blew a tire and really tore up the side of his camper one time. I also blew a 1 year old tire on my pop-up that did mild damage to the plastic wheel well of the pop-up. Luckily, it was repairable with some fiberglass and did not leak.

one thing I never go out on the road without is my 12 volt tire pump . I have one of the larger models sold for trucks . it has saved other people camping twice and saved me at times. I made an adapter to fit the rear tires . took an air valve for a well pressure tank put on a double side chuck for dualls. just clamp the pump on and stick on the rear tires

I also carry my 12 volt compressor in the RV at all times. A had to add a truck chuck also because they are useless with the short chucks. I have topped off many tires for other people also. It sure does make friends quickly.