Noobie, Looking

jjrbus

Thanks for having a great forum. My name is Jim and I am from SW Florida, 66 and retired. I have been looking for a 6 Cyl auto Toyota. I am not afraid of some work, but hope to find something in decent shape. I full timed for 10 years and built a bus conversion so know a little about RV's

Hoping there are others who may be in Florida looking for one and maybe we can help each other? It is not fun driving long distances to find something not as described! I would be happy to look at anything in this area, but maybe a conflict of interest : )

First question, keeping in mind that I have only looked at a few of these. I do not like the jacknife sofa. Could this be removed and 2 bucket type seats installed. I see the fresh water pump and holding tank in there, has anyone moved them??

2nd, 3 of these I have looked at the owner has told me they have someone flying in from up north who is very interested, 2 were coming from Wisconsin and one from Chicago, is this common? All three units are still for sale.

Thanks Jim

I know that some people travel a long way to get their hands on a good ToyHouse. Don't jump too fast just because the seller is saying that someone is flying in to get it. You have to do a thorough inspection or you may end up having to throw a lot of money at problems that you didn't see because you got rushed by the seller. When I go look at something like this, I take a friend that is brutally honest about what I am thinking about buying. I sometimes overlook flaws because I want the item. Always take a checklist with you and look at everything on the checklist with a critical eye.

Where would you put the water tank and pump if you moved i?. There is not much room for something that big.

Thanks for the response. I have no idea where to put them? Wondering if anyone had done it? One of the 3 I have been looking at has sold and not many more coming on the market.

Jim SW Florida

There is an '85 Huntsman listed in the classified ads on this site in Venice Florida. The asking price is $8000. The RV does look like it is in pretty good shape.

Thanks, My hip and shoulder are partial to an automatic. The 4 cyl with auto appears to be under powered. So limits my search to some 89's and up.

Of course Venice is a short jaunt and all the 90+ ones are on the other end of the state! Jim SW Florida

I have a 22Re (4 cylinder) engine in my '88 Escaper with automatic trans. It gets down the highway at 55 mph without problem. It has also gone up any road without problem. I have been over 11,000 ft a couple of times without incident. A 6 cyl may be able to handle slightly higher highway speeds but will use a little more gas.

I will admit that the engine RPM's can be a little annoying at times because I never use overdrive. The engine just seems to be laboring too much at the lower RPM's. I also get lower miles per gallon in OD.

Just curious but what is the expected top speed of the newer 6 cylinder toy homes ? I know my 22re moves "at the speed of parked" normally 55 - 65 mph tops.

I have seen higher speeds, downhill with the wind behind my back while white knuckling and eyes bulging the whole time...

I will not drive my RV over 60 mph because before I bought it, I tried a very fast stop to see what the brakes were like. The brakes worked great, but, it is still a 6000 pound, top heavy vehicle. Braking distances are long and evasive manuevers while braking will end up with a rollover if you are not very careful.

never had any power problems with my 87 dolphin 22re auto drive 55 and try to stay alive .I was in a 5 loop rollover in my Toyota corona I wasn't driving young kid drivers can mess you up. cant afford anymore body damage to me or wife. the 22re may wind a bit that is what it was born for it has 5 main bearings . I run 20 W 50 moter oil have in all my Toyotas since 1983. that corona had 250.000 miles.

The one in Venice is a standard shift, trying to find an automatic. The one in Hommasasa is on my Radar, is three hour drive, hoping to combine it with another to make it worth while.

Thanks for the input, always greatly appreciated. Jim SW Florida

One thing about these Toyota's. If it's a nice one at a nice price they are usually gone pretty fast. The Huntsman in Venice doesn't have a picture of the rear axle. Don't go look unless they send you a picture of it showing the correct 6 lug axle.

Linda S

"Don't go look unless they send you a picture of it showing the correct 6 lug axle."

unless of course you have a good mechanic and dont mind taking on the project of putting the 1 ton axle on. After all the selection of rigs that are mint but have a death axle is pretty high; why not restore the rig and put the full floating axle on it? If we just let all of these rigs get crushed that never got the axle fixed there will sure be a heck of a lot less toy homes on the streets in the future. To me, if you find a nice rig with a low price, the death axle is something that can be replaced.

I called the one in Homassasa (Ocala) Enjoyed talking with the man. There is nothing else on the market that interests me so took a ride up. 94 Seabreeze 6 cyl auto

The cab and MH body are in great condition, I suspect that the sealer around the roof items is original, but no leaks. Must have been kept under cover. The inside was remodled, some of it is well done and some needs redoing. Some things were not finished, there is no genset. I will replace the tires, they look good but are old. Some things do not work, some are not hooked up. Runs and shifts good for a 100,000 mi veicle.

We agreed on a price of $5500, he had just bought the vehicle a short while ago and I suspect he paid $5500 for it? He bought it but decided it was too much work for him.

Best part was the couple, both about 80 and full of life, Looking forward to their 60th wedding aniversary.

Will post a couple pictures when I get it home.

Thanks for the help and input JIm