Want To Be Owner, Hopefully Next Year.

JSM

Hello all, I have been reading the forum consistently for the last month. I am set on owning a Toy, and should be able to pull it off by next year. My question to you all is witch is the best model for my family, consisting of myself, my wife and three children (6yo, 2yo, 4 mo). I have read that sunraders are the most sought after, but that they like the others also have there problems. I really seem to like the ones with the rear dinette and side bathroom as they seem to have a little more room than the rear bathroom models. I haven't been able to find any rear dinette models post 1989.

Anyways, I appreciate all thoughts, suggestions, and experiences.

Thanks guys and gals

Jon

Yes the Sunraders are good because of the 1 piece construction and the leak protection that the others don't have. You might want to stay away from the wood framed Dolphins which a lot of them have the rear dinette. Not saying that Dolphins are bad but at some point water will make it's way inside and the warping will start. Often this is hidden and very hard to detect when buying one. There are some aluminium framed winnies and other coaches that won't have the Dolphin issue but you may have to contend with dry-rot walls at some point.

Also note these motorhomes are approaching the 30 year mark and some near 40. Be prepared to spend a couple of thousand to bring them up to snuff, no matter what you buy. Then keep a thousand stashed for the next year for any upcoming issues, and a thousand for the next and so on.

Lastly, 3 is a company, 4 is a crowd, 5? ;-) Your gonna have a lot of weight to carry and it will be a tad crowded with that many people. You may want to pick up one of these:

Add-A-Room.jpg.thumb_popupprod_info_250x

Jon,

All motorhomes leak at prety much the same places. Older Dolphins have aluminum siding and roofing and are just as waterproof as Sunraders. Water can't pass through aluminum siding or roofing any better than it can through fiberglass. The thing is, if the things that go through the roof, or the windows and various storage compartments aren't maintained, they will leak, whether they are mounted on fiberglass or aluminum. When shopping around for a Toyhome, check EVERYWHERE for water stains, soft, spongy wood or damp carpet.

I have one of the rear dinette Dolphins and I love it. Because of leaky vents and sky lights in the roof and leaky windows everywhere, I've had to re-build most of the underlying structure and then re-install the siding. Nothing leaks, now, but I keep up on the maintenance with the caulking around the windows and re-coating the roof with that white, rubbery goo from Home Depot made for mobile homes.

I have to agree with Gary M on the size of your family and the size of even the biggest Toyhome. Five people is probably too many for these limited space rigs. I'd look for an early 90's Ford or Chevy rig. There are lots of them out there in the 24 or 25 foot range and the interior space and load carrying ability is much more than a Toyhome. Yeah, the gas mileage will suffer but if you keep your speed under 60 MPH, it won't be that bad.

John

I love a rear dinette too but that means your children are all sitting all the way in the back behind the rear wheels. Very bumpy ride back there. Even people who don't get car sick can get queasy back there. Also far away from Mommy and Daddy for such young children. Number of people considering the kids are so little is doable but sofa behind the drivers seat and dinette on other side is a safer bet.

Linda S

I agree with Linda about the rear dinette units. I test drove one with a friend sitting in at the dinette and we could not hear anything that the other person said. My wife and I take our grandkids on trips and the rear dinette would not work for us.

We just took our 1989 Warrior on a 4500 mile two week drive across the country with my wife and three kids. The Toyota motorhomes make the ultimate road trip vehicle, sleeping 5 was tough but one kid slept in the passenger seat reclined all the way back making it work.

Wow, thank you all for the quick replies. It has really got me thinking. I have looked at the smaller ford's and chevy's, but cant seem to make myself want one the way I want a Toyhome. I never thought about traveling in the rear dinette models, from the comments, it makes me think about riding on the backseat of a school bus, and the larger bathroom does make more sense for the children as well as us. I guess in the end it will come down to what is available when I'm ready to pull the trigger on it.

Thanks again

Jon

had a rear dinette once with a very squincy little side bathroom. don't miss it we like our large rear bath with a stand alone shower . .,