Body Split At Step

zephyr

Just noticed a split in the bodywork just to the left of the step (between step and battery box) of my '93 Warrior. It is obviously caused by weight on the step but I doubt if a simple fiberglass patch will do the trick. Any suggestions please?

Thanks, Tony (Portland OR)

Thanks a lot for your comments - photo attached for any further observations.

The crack does widen when weight is on the step and is smaller with no weight.

Step is securely attached and chassis moves when using step, battery box is good and I don't see anything obviously rotted or broken underneath.

MH Crack- sm.pdf

I have a crack just like that. I know exactly how it happened. Within a month after I installed the slide out step on my Toy my teenage (at the time) son decided to bounce off the step on his way out the door.

I was envisioning a vertical crack. Your horizontal crack looks like something below the crack pulling down - the step theory makes a lot sense to me - I would look at where that step is attached,and if you are going to keep it - beef it up.

As for patching the fiberglass - I like MarineTex - a 2 part epoxy. Sure there are many other similar products

We have an 89 warrior and the step is fabricated from sheet metal, its a pretty sturdy rectangle, three sides and a bottom (the step) welded together,

its hard to see, but it looks like the step is either welded or bolted to the square tubing that the coach frame is constructed from,

so I would check on the broken side and see how the step is attached to the frame, it looks like it would be an easy fix!

Mike

then buy one of those little screw adjustable step supports sold and made for the purpose of step reinforcement. we have one works great. bought at our local RV store. on dirt I stick a piece of 1 by 4 under it. we are both 200. I noticed our step was bending down sure helps. Has a screw on top and a bottom piece with a snap button in a set of holes two ways to set it. Don't remember the price but was not much.

Thanks a lot for all your advice - I believe the step to be the problem so have removed that and will keep a stepstool handy. Now on to patching the fiberglass and I do like the idea of a kick plate to cover the patch. Thanks again and I'll be back for more help I am sure!