Need Some Opinions On This Rig. 1985 Toyota Motorhome

I am looking at an 1985 Toyota Gran Sport, tilt-top (pop top) motorhome. It is believe it or not a one owner truck. It has all maintenance records from new. I already pulled the carfax and everything checks out. The truck has 185k on it and only 20k on a new motor. 4 speed. It is a 9 out of 10 for condition. Garage kept since brand new. Never a day outside. Interior is perfect and everything works like new. All original curtains and upholstery is in place and in great shape. One ton 6 lug rear end. Only things that bother me are miles are high and the truck is old. The owner wants 7k. Does this seem crazy? Apparently it needs nothing but a driver and it is ready to go. I am supposed to pick it up in 2 days and start a 10k mile road trip in it. Let me know what you think please. Sorry no pics of it yet but it is very similar to what you see below but much cleaner/nicer.

Thanks!

1wb7IQj.jpg

How old are the tires for one. Planning on picking up a truck that old and heading out on a 10,000 mile trip seems overly optimistic. Kind of important to have all systems checked out first. No one can tell from a pic if you don't have one of the real truck. Canvas could be brittle and rip. Just too many variables. Lots of money for that rig

Linda S

Thanks Linda. That is what I am thinking too. Carfax report shows recent service (less than 5k miles ago) that included fuel system service, along with brakes, tires, suspension inspection and all were good. Owner says tires are all less than 5 years old and like new. I have some cash budgeted for issues on the road. Still not sure if I want to pull the trigger here.

Agree with Linda on this one fully. Don't let the 10K trip push you into something you would reget later. Cancell the trip until you can take the time to look things over. Good luck to you!

If you have time to make sure it's reasonably safe, go for it. I drove cross-country in a car that I bought for a hundred bucks. Now that was crazy. I'll never forget that trip though. No mechanical problems! That's what you call luck. I assume you're not crossing Siberia? So what's the worse that can happen? You come home with no money.

I would not drive any used vehicle 10,000 miles without jacking it up and checking many moving parts - regardless of how good it looks on the outside. I'd also buy a new electric fuel pump and keep it on board for a spare (assuming it has one). I'd spin all the wheels make sure the bearings feel smooth and tight. I'd make sure there are brake linings left, front and rear. I'd unhook the driveshaft and check the u-joints and center-support. Check the front steering linkage for play, etc. I'd also make sure the wheels actually come off. I've had two recently that were seized on since they hadn't been off in so long.

I'm guessing it's a mechanical fuel pump. Unless it's an EFI? I think 85 was the first year fuel injection was available, so it could be.

10,000 miles is pretty optimistic. A long drive home, no big deal. I drove mine from Seattle to Montana when I first bought it, to get it home. But an actual extended road trip? I would not have done that.

Doesn't mean you shouldn't, but I'd bring it to a mechanic first, even though it's been to one recently. Tell them what you plan to do with it and have them check it out. Should only take a day, if you make the appointment ahead of time.

7k is not bad if it's in the condition you say it is. Is it also 4wd like the one in the photo? If so, that pretty much justifies the price.

I just drove my 1978 RV 12,000 miles over the last 4 months. It did great. But I put a lot of work into it first, and took it on some shorter trips first.

I guess I'm a little more adventurous. I have had 5 Toyota trucks 3 with over 250,000 miles on them from a 1980 to my semi new 2011. One trip around the block to make sure nothing is falling off then I'm gone.The 4 speed is a great transmission they had little or no problems the only concern would be the clutch but if it's had an engine they would have been nuts not to replace the clutch. 5 year old tires are probably fine just check for any cracking it's doubtful that they have many miles on them. It's a long trip either way just getting there it would be a shame to find out he was not real honest about the vehicle that would be my only worry.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. the 10k trip is somewhat delayed. I will be going to pick up the truck first and drive it home 1500 miles, then spending the next month planning and preparing for a huge trip. The important part would be the first 1500 miles home making sure it makes it ok. I will be getting it inspected before purchase. I have done quite a few big trips in older rigs so that is not the fear. I am more concerned with whether or not it is worth 7k. Sounds like the consensus is that 7k is a lot but not outrageous, am I right?

As they say beauty is in the eye of the beer holder ;-) If you've gone all thru it and everything checks out. Only you can decide if it's worth what he's asking for it. I know when I was looking for mine I wasted two 13 hour long round trip drives only to get there and find out both RV's had major water damage. One had 161000 miles on it instead of the 61000 I was told on the phone. Myself it is in as good of shape as you say it is I'd probably buy it. Because these aren't getting any easier to kind. That being said I'd still have to try and talk him down. Good luck with it I hope it works out for you.