Mpg In Warrior

JUSTABANGER

I just bought a very nice 1991 Warrior with just under 80,000 miles. This thing is in excellent condition. I think it has been garage kept it's whole life. No signs of any water damage like the other ones I've wasted my time checking on. I must say that except for a badly cracked windshield the whole rig would pass for new. Now for the bad news. Driving home on I-80 I was running 70 to 75 mph the 220 miles home and only got 10 MPG :-( The old boy I bought it from said he got between 12 and 14. Now I know some guys a claiming close to 20 mpg's with these. Which I've always had a hard time believing. I also know if I drop my speed down to 55 to 60 my mileage will improve. Anyone one else have any tips or tricks to stretch a couple of more miles per gallon out of this rig.

S l o w d o w n, d o w n.

I just bought a very nice 1991 Warrior with just under 80,000 miles. This thing is in excellent condition. I think it has been garage kept it's whole life. No signs of any water damage like the other ones I've wasted my time checking on. I must say that except for a badly cracked windshield the whole rig would pass for new. Now for the bad news. Driving home on I-80 I was running 70 to 75 mph the 220 miles home and only got 10 MPG :-( The old boy I bought it from said he got between 12 and 14. Now I know some guys a claiming close to 20 mpg's with these. Which I've always had a hard time believing. I also know if I drop my speed down to 55 to 60 my mileage will improve. Anyone one else have any tips or tricks to stretch a couple of more miles per gallon out of this rig.

I don't own a V6 but know several people who have and kept good fuel logs. 16 MPG @ 50 MPH on flat roads, and 15.5 MPG @ 55 MPH on flat roads. That's the average sort of reporting I hear. I've also heard of many V6s getting 10-11 MPG when driven at 70 MPH. Also of many 2.4s getting 11 MPG @ 70 MPH.

The 20 plus MPG reporst are pure BS as many high mileage claims are with anything. It's funny how road-test reports vary. Winnebago reported getting 18 MPG with a 22RE and auto trans on a flat highway @ 55 MPH. Yet Dolphin did the same test and reported 14.2 MPG @ 50 MPH.

The class Cs based on Dodge Sprinter vans with Mercedes turbo 2.7 liter diesels only get 14 MPG @ 75 MPH. If you are going that fast - a 3 liter gas powered six ought to do 30% worse.

Now if you are only doing 55 MPH -then you've got some problems.

Hi--we also have a 1992 V-6 and we average 14 mpg. Our "sweet spot" is 60 mph. If we push it harder or there is a head wind, the mileage will drop. I have seen as low as 10 mpg and as good as 15. As was previously suggested, SLOW DOWN. Don't forget that you are pushing a large box with a nearly flat front into the wind. I think that our little Toyotas do amazingly well given their job! Good luck with your new toyhome!

Your post didn't mention all the usual mechanical things like fuel filters, spark plugs, spark plug wires, or air cleaner. Surprises happen.

When I bought my first Dolphin with 4 cyl. 22RE I drove it home from Philadelphia Pa to Michigan. Best tank was 12.2. Most tanks were in the high tens or low elevens. Worst tank was 10.2. Then I discovered that even tho the top of the air cleaner was clean, immediately underneath it was a huge mouse nest blocking much of the air into the engine. Removing it raised mileage about nine-tenths of a mpg.

That's not unusual at all. My "best tank" was 14.5mpg @ 60mph. I usually get bout 12-13mpg going 65mph. I don't want to drive faster than that in most cases. Still pretty good comparing to other RVs or just full size trucks

My Warrior typically gets 15 mpg at 55 mph. Have also seen 18 mpg at 75 mph but that was a windy day and the wind was a tailwind. With a strong headwind, 12 mpg at 55 mph. I've also seen 10 mpg at 75.

That's not unusual at all. My "best tank" was 14.5mpg @ 60mph. I usually get bout 12-13mpg going 65mph. I don't want to drive faster than that in most cases. Still pretty good comparing to other RVs or just full size trucks

My 88 Minicruiser with the 22RE and auto trans has gotten a pretty consistent 14.5-15 MPG @ 55-60 MPH. But when compared to full-size trucks? My 1992 Dodge 4WD, extended cap, with Cummins turbo-intercooled 5.9 diesel - with a 2200 lb. camper on it's back (with pop-up roof) gets 17 MPG @ 70 MPH. Granted diesel fuel often cost 50 cents more per gallon. Certainly faster and more fuel efficient then my Toyota though. I switched to the Toyota because it's all open inside and nicer to drive - although slower. That Dodge even got 13.5 MPG with the camper on it AND pulling a 3200 lb. trailer with a 3400 lbs. Toyota Chinook on it - and that was crossing the moutains in Vermont and New York - coming back from Rockland, Maine.

I'll say again though - our Toyota Minicruiser is much nicer to drive, ride in, and camp with three people and a dog. The Dodge rides like a Sherman tank.

post-6578-0-73108100-1407064739_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-08336900-1407064741_thumb.jp

• 3 weeks later...

I slowed down on my latest trip. I also put regular gas in it instead of ethanol. I drove 160 miles and it took 9.9 to fill it back up so I got right at 16 mpg. That's a lot better than the10 mpg that I getting running 70 to 75. My brother swears that all ethanol is is a filler and the 30 cents a gallon difference is made up by better mileage you get with straight gas. Any thoughts on that guys?

It's always 'dangerous' to calculate your MPG based on driving for a bit over 1/2 a tank of gas. Throw in that you've changed your cruising speed and a different fuel and you've probably driven a bit gentler because you're trying to get better economy. Keep careful records for 5000 miles and then decide.

I know I've changed how I drove it on this tank compared to the first couple. This one I probably averaged 50 MPH on two lane roads. Where those first two tanks I was in a hurry to get home after a long day and was running 70 and 75 on the interstate. And with the automatic doing a lot of down shifting to make it up some pretty good hills and maintaining that speed. I also know that I topped it off both times on this tank so I know I got just over 16 mpg.

I need to get away from ethanol. I've heard for years that it's hard on seals and needle seats. Although my Corolla runs fine on it and gets 30 to 33 mpg on it. Two of my lawnmowers have had issues with the carbs where they have leaked filling the crankcases with gas. I put shut offs on both so I can now run the carb bowl dry when I'm done using them. I'm thinking maybe the 30 cents a gallon isn't really worth the hassle in the long run.

to get a valid mpg, one needs to log all their gasoline over a longer period of time. Using one tank can be quite misleading - just the way different gaspumps cut off can throw the calculation off significantly. Over, say a 1000 miles one will get a good idea of the average.

no doubt city driving, high speeds, headwinds or tailwinds for a longer drive all factor in.

you should average about 14, maybe 15 IF IF IF you drive conservatively (no jack rabbit starts & some coasting to stops when able).

You will be driving with some pretty stiff headwinds in South Dakota. The wind always blows pretty good. There are also many long rolling hills that will cut into you mileage. I have driven through with my Escaper twice and hit 30 mph winds both times. I have pulled a pop-up through about 20 times and the winds didn't bother as much.