Trying To Locate A 6 Lug Free Floating Rear Assembly

Katiemccoy

We have tried 2 different rear axle assemblies and neither works. Our 1984 New Horizon has a 5 lug assembly that ground to a halt 20 minutes after purchasing the rig - we have scoured junk yards and Craigslist, we have purchased one and swapped it for another and neither worked. Where is the best place to locate one - and how should I start my search - what do I need to ask for?

We have tried 2 different rear axle assemblies and neither works. Our 1984 New Horizon has a 5 lug assembly that ground to a halt 20 minutes after purchasing the rig - we have scoured junk yards and Craigslist, we have purchased one and swapped it for another and neither worked. Where is the best place to locate one - and how should I start my search - what do I need to ask for?

The rear axle assembly has three moving parts that are wear items, more or less. A sealed ball bearing on each end that supports the axle, and a removable Hotchkiss center-section. When you say your rear-axle-assembly "failed" I suspect one of those three components gave trouble? Why didn't you fix whatever went bad?

Note that the removable Hotchkiss center-section is the same regardless if a semi-floating rear with 5 lug wheels, or a full-floating rear with 6 lug wheels. The center-sections can have internal differences but they easily swap back and forth. You can take the Hotchikiss center out of a 1978 Chinook and bolt it into a 1988 dually rear if wanted (or vise-versa). Most rear-wheel drive cars and trucks come with either Salisbury rears or Hotchkiss rears. Salisbury (like a lot of 1/2 ton GMs use) require all the differential and ring gear parts get installed piece by piece. Hotchkiss - like Toyotas use - has all those parts unitized in one big removable assembly. Hotchkiss gets it's name from the Hotchkiss auto factory in France - although it was created by an American named Ben Hotchkiss in 1875 (he started out making guns). Salisbury was another American. The Japanese just copied this stuff.

post-6578-0-58236300-1406811897_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-82587400-1406811898_thumb.jp

I don't know where you are and like Derek stated - shipping is a killer. Last I checked this junkyard in northern New York (Sodus) has a junked 1983 Sunrader. It has the full-floater rear with 6 lug wheels and also the 6 lug front hubs and wheels. The old guy wanted $300 for the rear and four wheels last I checked. He's in his late 80s and has cancer - so things can change on a daily basis.

parts@julianoautoparts.com

The last time I looked, today, there was a listing on craigslist, Medford, Oregon for a NEW complete Toyota fully floating rear end http://medford.craigslist.org/rvs/4577294654.html They started out at $1500 now $1000.

410 auto wreaking on the Chinook pass highway in the town of Buckly is an all Toyota yard i don't know what they have right now. tho

There is a Dolphin being sold with a scap engine in the Tacoma area. There are parts I could use like the dinette, refer and tranny. I would throw in $500 to help part it out with anyone in the area. I don't have the grounds to keep it to tear it up. Just throwing ideas around.