I've been wanting a tach in my 1988 Minicruiser. I have not wanted to spend $50 though on a digital "mini-tach." I wanted something cheaper and with a real sweeping analog dial.

I found one that fits perfect for $13 shipped to my door. No tax, no shipping charges. Put it in yesterday and works great. See how long it will last. The Chinese are amazing with all this el-cheapo stuff.

post-6578-0-46577000-1406554692_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-96953800-1406554693_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-95449000-1406554694_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-97646800-1406554695_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-09146300-1406554697_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-20881800-1406554698_thumb.jp

I installed a TACH PRO tach in my Escaper. I did not want to have to look away from the road to see the tach so I mounted it next to the instrument cluster. Without a tach, I would never rev the engine as high as I do in the mountains. It sounds like the poor little engine is screaming. Running at 4000 + rpm's sure does let the engine get us up the steep grades without grunting as hard though.

I think I paid $19 for mine at Farm & Fleet (similar to Tractor supply)

post-5523-0-40266000-1406557968_thumb.jp

post-5523-0-14289300-1406558012_thumb.jp

I installed a TACH PRO tach in my Escaper. I did not want to have to look away from the road to see the tach so I mounted it next to the instrument cluster. Without a tach, I would never rev the engine as high as I do in the mountains. It sounds like the poor little engine is screaming. Running at 4000 + rpm's sure does let the engine get us up the steep grades without grunting as hard though.

Looks like a good setup. Doing what you did was going to be my first choice - but . . Here in NY - putting a tach there kind of blocks access to where the annual motor-vehicle inspection sticker has to go. Putting the tach there would make reaching in there , scraping off the old sticker and putting on the new difficult. When I get the heck out of NY and move to Michigan, that won't mater anymore. No DMV inspection in MI.

I love Farm & Fleet, and also Tractor Supply. I liked Central Tractor even better but that is long gone.

u don,t want to move to michigan. price u pay for car insurance will bankrup you

I already found that out. Car insurance is double what I pay in NY but . . I'd pay MUCH more to get away from ultra-Lib Andrew Cuomo and his gang of NYC pansies.

At my two places in Northern Michigan - my property taxes are half what I pay in NY. 50 acre farm in Michigan is $1000 a year in taxes. My 80 acre place in NY is $3500 a year. In NY my taxes keep going up. In Michigan they are capped. In Michigan my Ruger Mini 14 or Russian SKS rifles - are still just that . . rifles. Not "scary" assault weapons as now deemed in New York. In Michigan - I can walk into Tractor Supply or Walmart and buy a slingshot if I want. In New York - a slingshot is a "dangerous firearm" and I cannot buy one. In Michigan I can still order ammo on-line for the best deals. In New York - I can't even buy .22s on-line. In Michigan I can sell a rifle to a friend or neighbor. In New York - I cannot sell to anyone unless a licensed gun broker is the middle man. In NY I must pay for an inane annual motor vehicle inspection and I have 10 cars, trucks, and RVs. In Michigan there is NO inspection for any of them, at all. In NY I must register my trailers every year. In Michigan I get lifetime registration. In New York - if I ride my motorcycle - I MUST wear a helmet. In Michigan - as an adult - it is MY choice if I want a helmet on my head, or not. In New York - if I buy a car or truck or RV - new or used - I must get insurance and registration to get it home. In Michigan - I can drive any of them home, anywhere in the state with no plates or registration. In New York - starting next year - everyone must get State training to operate a motor boat - even if they have 80 years of accident-free experience. In Michigan - no such nonsense. I could keep going. NY makes it easy thanks to people like Hillary Clinton, Chuck-You Schumer, and winey-boy Andrew Cuomo.

Start spreading the news...I'm leavin' today... I want to be no part of it New York, New York.

Buy one and follow the instructions. There are several different ways to hook up tachs. To tell you one way could be wrong for what you bought. Most require 2 or 3 wires.

• 7 months later...

Really nice set up and what a deal! How difficult was it to install? Really want to put one in my Dolphin.

Did you just wire it to the coil?

I may do that at some point. But on the 78, there's a nice gap between the speedometer gauge and the other gauges, where a little one like that could fit.

Dudevato, over at the yahoo site, has some photos up of his set up. He took the dash apart and did some plastic molding and worked in a tach and made it all look OEM. Really nice.

I drilled a hole through the side of the dash with the bolt coming out near the plastic lens. I painted everything black so that it would blend in a bit. The wiring was just three wires. One to the coil, one to the headlight circuit, and a ground. I like that I don't have to look very far from my normal field of view to see the tach.

Last summer we were in the Rockies for a couple of weeks and did many long steep climbs. I frequently was running 4500 rpm's and had no problems running in second gear. We topped 10,000 ft on 5 occasions I believe. I have heard others say that a 22Re could not do it, they are WRONG. The engine never ran hot. We averaged 13.8 mpg with the Toyhouse.