Hello All You Helpful Toyota Motor home fans!

I have a problem. My alternator belt has broken. Everything was fine, then I went on vacation for 4 days, the RV sat in one place. When I got back on Thursday, I started her up and began to hear the screeching of an issue with one of the belts. I checked them out and the alternator belt seemed a bit loose. I figured I could get it home, then work on tightening it this weekend. I was wrong. It broke on the way home and my engine got very hot...scary!

I have a replacement belt and would like to avoid paying a mechanic's price to replace the belt, but I'm not exactly sure how to change it. I can see which pulleys it goes over, but can't seem to figure out how to get it onto those pulleys without moving other things. I was searching online for diagrams or "how to" videos, but can't find anything helpful or detailed enough. It is a 22RE 4cyl Automatic 1987.

I've wanted to take her in for a check up and "once over" since I purchased her about 2 months ago, but have been busy and out of town off and on. So yesterday my intuition was telling me to do it NOW, so I make an appointment, then last night, the belt broke. Unfortnately, the appointment is not until next Thurs and now I have to get it towed to the shop. Guess I was just too late.

Anyway...since I already want to get other things checked on would it be easier to just tow it to the shop and get it fixed then, or is it easy enough to fix on my own so I can skip paying for the labor and towing and just drive her to her check up?

Any info, pictures, diagrams, how to or videos would be greatly appricated. Thanks!

Try watching the youtube video. I just typed in "HOW TO CHANGE ALTERNATOR BELT ON TOYOTA 22RE."

I've never changed/replaced belts on a 22R-E and don't have one in the driveway to go and look at. But I just watched the 1st YouTube that popped up (and the 2nd). Is it really necessary to remove the fan shroud? And drain the coolant?

If you prefer some written instructions, you could check here (around page 205):-

http://toyotachinook.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/how-to-keep-your-toyota-pickup-alive.pdf

P.S. If you've got power steering or air conditioning, now would be a good time to have new belts on hand so that if you have to remove them to replace your broken alternator belt you can do them all at the same time rather than paying a mechanic to redo all the work you've done.

I watched some youtube videos, but they aren't very detailed in changing the belts. There are some that show how to remove the whole alternator, but that seems more involved than I need to get. In other videos, I've wondered, just as you asked Derek..is it really necessary to remove very many other parts/drain coolant and/or radiator? In the only one I've found that actually specifically says how to change the belts on a 22re, the guy points to everything with the camera from above, a vantage point where you can't really see the alternator belt from, then the video cuts to a new scene, then he says "Ok, i've just changed all the belts" or something to that effect. So really, he just talks about it and points to things and doesn't show the actual task being performed. If there is another better video, please do post a link.

Thanks for the info on changing the other belts too! The frustrating thing is that all belts are new. The previous owner had just changed them all. I think the alternator belt snapped simply because it did not have the right tension, so I'm hesitant to remove the others in fear of messing the whole thing up. He did leave me with new belts for everything though. It looks as though I may have to remove the power steering/AC belt just to get the alternator belt on...perhaps it may be best just to take it in since I planned on doing this anyway. Ugh....

Thanks for the pdf. Written instructions would be great! I can't seem to get it to load though...I'll keep trying.

Thanks!

Edited by Incurable Wanderlust

I don't know how big of a towing bill you're looking at, but you might want to try one of these solutions to get you to the garage. You shouldn't have to remove anything to install, just loosen a couple of bolts to adjust the belt tension.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=temporary+fan+belt&client=firefox-a&hs=W3g&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=Fl_BU7q_HcmayATAjYK4Cw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=634

https://www.google.ca/search?q=temporary+fan+belt&client=firefox-a&hs=j3g&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&tbm=vid&source=lnms&sa=X&ei=I1_BU4TyC4abyAS304GoDw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=1366&bih=634&dpr=1

Even panty hose or duct tape!

Thanks for those temporary suggestions! I'm going to call my insurance and see if they will cover the towing. If not, I may try one of those temp fixes if I can't put the new belt on myself. Good thing I have 2 days off of work coming up to deal with this.

Thanks Derek!!

Where are you. You could try looking on craigslist for a mobile mechanic. They might be cheaper than the cost of a tow when it comes to motorhomes.

Linda S

Or hang out at a nearby parts store parking lot and try to catch a customer driving a Toyota Pickup with grease under his finger nails. See if he'll come and put on a fan belt for $25. :)

Or ask the counter guy at the nearest NAPA if he has a customer who's always buying Toyota parts that he could refer you to.

I did think of that...a mobile mechanic or craigslist, but the whole taking it to the shop idea is just because I want to take it in for a full inspection anyway. So now that this happened, my dilema is fix it now, or just get it to the shop and have everything taken care of. I'm pretty handy, so once I get this pdf downloaded, I will take look at the step by step instructions and see if I can't get it fixed on my own this weekend.

Too bad. I just had it parked at work where we have a whole fleet of trucks and I'm sure someone could give me a hand...but I decided to take it home, and on that drive is when the belt broke. Oh these series of events where we wish we could see the future. Ha! Ah well, we shall see how this plays out. My days off are tomorrow and Monday, so if I can't get it on myself, I will perhaps post a ad on craigslist for anyone in the area on Monday or some other such idea to get her moving. Blah...the joys of buying a used vehicle. :)

Edited by Incurable Wanderlust

I realize it's Saturday, but any chance there's a mechanic at work who owes you a favor (or that you could do a favor for in future at work) who might be able to give you a hand after work? Some people will 'work for beer'. (Best paid after the job's finished!)

How far (in miles) to get back to work, to the nearest garage or your preferred garage? Any chance you could make it to any of them in 1/2 mile segments with no belt installed?

I work for beer! Being a freelance carpenter, I've been payed in various ways, and beer is one of my favorites. ha ha!

Well, I work swing shift, so I get off at 10:30pm, so after work would be too late tonight and we don't have full time mechanics on site even on the weekdays. There are a few guys that are around during the week, but we don't really have a full on maintenance area or crew. Not sure where the big repairs are done. I don't know any other mechanics in the state...too bad my uncle doesn't live here...

The repair shop I want to take it to isn't far, but not close enough to drive without issue. Saddly San Francisco doesn't have alot of mechanic shops that can accommodate RVs, so have to drive just south of the city and it's hard to find a place in this city to pull over, let alone pull a 21ft vehicle over every mile or so. I wanted to see if I could drive it "gently", but last night when the belt broke, I was in my neighborhood already and I pulled over to see what happened, and the radiator was already bubbling and crazy hot. I let it cool down while trying to figure out the replacement belt situation. Then when I had to drive it to find an actual parking space, it got very hot again in just the time it took to find a better parking space. Really, just around the block, maybe 5 minutes, give or take. The last thing I need is a blown head gasket, so if it gets that hot in such a short time, I'd rather not risk it.

PDF just finished downloading. Looks like I do have to remove the power steering, A/C belt before installing the new alternator belt..hmmm...project for tomorrow. I'll give it a shot because really, I need to know how to do this incase of an emergency on the road.

Not if you use one of those temporary belts. They're in segments so you wouldn't have to disturb the other belts, just adjust the tension once installed.

2275d1343567158-fan-belt-whole-house-fan

Those "link-belts" are awful when it comes to longevity. Good to get you out of bind though. Used them for quick fixes on industrial equipment that requires removal of the front hydraulic pump for a belt change. I doubt you can even find a link-belt with the correct angle for automotive V-belt use. They usually just come in fractional-horsepower angles for 3L, 4L, and 5L.

A lot of hand ringing over not much at all. If you can't deal with a broken fan belt, you should stay close to home. If long distance travel is in your plans then you need to develope some basic skills.

There several lists on this site with recommended spares to carry. A basic set of metric tools from Wal-Mart will give you the right stuff.

The Idiot Book will tell you how to do it

http://www.amazon.com/Keep-Your-Toyota-Pickup-Alive/dp/0912528893

just changed a 22 re alt belt . all 22 re i,v owned never had to take fan shroud off.its a little tough just slip belt over each fan blade one at a time.more than likly the belt you have to change is behind ac and power steering belts .just take them off and put alt belt on shouldn,t take 30 min to put on

"just don,t use a chitons manual"

You mean like when you're looking at the "chassis electrical" wiring diagrams and you think the starting wiring is wrong, and you are correct in thinking that. But under "engine electrical" section 2 page 12 the ckt is correct??? But no wiring colors on that page.

Better than nothing, but I'd get a Haynes. I have the Chilton but looked at one my neighbor's Haynes and it looked much better. Is the factory Toyota book still avaiable??

vanman

I'm wondering why a recently replaced belt would fail. "The previous owner had just changed them all." If i recall correctly, the alternator belt also powers the water pump? Perhaps the water pump or the alternator itself has frozen up causing the belt failure?

Ken in Tucson

Since the belt is off, manually spinning the pulleys on the pump and the alternator would probably put the question to rest. I just don't want the OP to replace the belt and then not be able to make it to the garage before the belt failed again.

The belt was loose, which I think is why it broke. I was going to tighten it once I got to a location I wanted to be for the night, but that was a bad idea obviously. I should have done it before I moved the RV since the hills around here are quite stressful for a vehicle such as this. If something else goes wrong after I replace it, then perhaps there is a bigger issue. She has been running great so far, and all the pulleys spin fine, so my thought is that the previous owner just had not put the right tension on it. I could be wrong, but we'll see once I get a chance to chace the belt.

Getting the FSM (factory service manual) from Toyota for your truck is a great idea. Haynes and Chilton run a decade worth of trucks. Their wiring diagrams are useless. Wiring and wire color sometimes changed within a single year, not just between body styles. I had the 1983 FSM for my 83 4x4, and it saved me a LOT of pain and frustration.

But for things like a belt...I honestly think you're better off using the internet than Haynes or Chilton. As someone mentioned, they'll have you removing way more than is necessary. When I did my first alternator, they had me drain the coolant and remove the drivers side coolant hose. Totally unnecessary. Added an hour onto the job.

Clearly you're new to all this, so it's OK. But I agree with WME. 3 pages over a broken alternator belt is making a mountain out of a molehill. A couple bolts loosened...slip old belt off (if it's not broken clear through). New belt slipped on, put as much tension on alternator as you can by sticking a pry bar in there, have someone tighten bolts. Done.

Once you've worked on this a bit, a belt, spark plugs, oil change, valve adjustment (if it's a 22 series, not the V6...), and all basic tuneup stuff will be an easy relaxed afternoon's work.

New v-belts stretch after being run so you should anticipate tightening any new belt after a few miles. Probably one reason they developed automatic belt tensioners.

The '85, '88 & '93 FSMs are easily found online. Very useful information and details but I find the huge (1000+ pages) Pdfs frustratingly hard to navigate around!

you do not have to drain colent you can slip the belt over the fan but the ac and power stearing belts must be removed first. to remove alt ternater I remove bolt on metal pipe in middle of bottom hose pull pipe and hose over to side drop alt out I read drain collent a nd said got to be a better way. and Derek is right some belts on the market are junk JUNK . I use gates or dayco name brand only had trouble before with off brand belts

It does seem like a lot of pages for a simple fix doesn't it? It just so happened that Derek and I were online at the same time, so it happened to be more of a conversation. Nonetheless, I never said I couldn't fix it or didn't have the tools, I simply had never done it before and since I am taking her in to get a full checkup tomorrow, the main reason for this post was to see how involved changing the belt would be and if it was worth just putting a temp fix on it since she will go in to the shop anyway, or is easy enough to fix on my own. I can change tires, oil, basic electric, and other things... so go figure, I've never changed belts before. Since the old belt completely broke off, I couldn't see how it was threaded around which pulleys.... there are a few down there. So the pdf of "The Idiot Book" was my answer, and all the info I needed. So really, within two posts, I got my answer, the rest of the pages were just suggestions from Derek and banter. Either way... That's what this forum is for right? Conversation and suggestions/help?

Anyway... short story long... I replaced the belts yesterday. It was simple enough aside from some bolts that didn't want to loosen for me. All is well, thanks for the help!

Well good deal. If it's going to the shop anyway have the "hidden hose" changed. There is a long series of post in the other toy group about a ruined engine after this hose broke while out for a drive.