Rear Tail Turn Light Puzzler. Video Attached

kayakthecoast

This has me baffled. I converted to led and installed a new led compatable turn relay.

When I signal right this happens: my rear brake lights (both sides) flash just two of the lights on both sides (watch video). If I signal on the left everything is a ok (no brake lights). I rechecked all my wiring. Is it a relay issue up front? See attached photo. This relay is labeled TAIL LAMP R. It was hot to the touch. Any ideas??

trim.4ABD9CD9-8307-40E1-8E61-2358E005924A.MOV

post-7537-0-27698800-1404421176_thumb.jp

Grounds all good? With so little current needed to run the LED's you may have to install a blocking diode on the stop lights if you don't find any thing else. They are not getting a lot of voltage or all of the led's would light.

OK the brake lights have no association with the turn signals at all separate wires?

I know they both have separate wiring, crazy ain't it. I even tried separating the ground. The brakes must be getting a little juice when I use the turn signal? I'm puzzled for sure

I would recheck your grounds, make sure they are actually grounded back to the battery even if you are using the chassis as the return. Just sounds like high resistance in a ground somewhere. Not sure what the relay would be doing, time to trace its wires.

Get a volt meter and check that the voltage into the tail light is correct, may be the factory wires are goofy.

Other than that 90% of tail light problems are bad grounds.

This relay is labeled TAIL LAMP R. It was hot to the touch,.

Not a good sign, loose/bad ground will not cause this. Try to re-check your wiring, sounds like either a short on one line or wiring more than one ckt together. Without a schematic this can be maddenly time consuming. If that fails to resolve problem leave all the grounds connected, verify with meter are are grounds not a hot included :) . Connect the rear lamps one wire at a time to see what actually happens.

Take your time and remember what did what, keep notes as you go along and keep cool, when you find out what's right you'll feel soo good.

vanman

What shows up on the dash any thing strange there as far as signal lights?

Do the front parking and turn lights behave?

Yup front lights which are all non LED all work fine. Think I'll check my wiring one more time and order a new relay up front. I suspect its allowing some volts to pass through? And because I switched to LED I'm having this problem. I'm just Guessing.