Rust..

passman

Refrigerator runs fine on electricity, haven't even touched the propane system on this rig yet. List of things to do just gets longer and longer, lucky for me that I'm hooked :greedy:

They do look pretty solid, mostly just surface rust.

What a pain....

They look better then any of mine. Just surface rust. Best either leave it along - or brush it good, put some rust converter on it, and then paint. The worst thing you can do is clean it and not coat it. Rust can be somewhat inert. Looks bad but doesn't progress much unless you clean it off and leave it exposed. That's what destroys many engine cylinders (cavitation). Harmonics keeps knocking rust off and it starts over again and again.

By the way - Linda mentioned not using old appliances in a house? Our chest freezer is an International Harvester made in 1948. Hot-air oil "furnace" in my barn is a Firestone made in 1947. I put "furnace" in quotes because the in 1947 - Firestone called it an "Air Conditioner."

I also have a GE "Monitor Top" refrigerator out in my barn. Still works well and made in 1929. Steelyard near me also has a 1929 monitor-top running all the time. Employees keep their drinks in it.

I tried Rust Bullet on the surface rust of my old conversion van. After a couple years about 15% of the spots bled through. Not too bad. Kind of expensive but you don't have to top coat it.

I guess it’s good to hear that it isn’t that bad…. This is my first 30 year old vehicle and there has been a ton of surface rust. I’ve just been sanding/wire brush, coating with reformer, primer and painting, and that’s just the cab. I’ve just started looking into the coach more and finding more projects, never a dull moment that’s for sure

They look better then any of mine. Just surface rust. Best either leave it along - or brush it good, put some rust converter on it, and then paint. The worst thing you can do is clean it and not coat it. Rust can be somewhat inert. Looks bad but doesn't progress much unless you clean it off and leave it exposed. That's what destroys many engine cylinders (cavitation). Harmonics keeps knocking rust off and it starts over again and again.

By the way - Linda mentioned not using old appliances in a house? Our chest freezer is an International Harvester made in 1948. Hot-air oil "furnace" in my barn is a Firestone made in 1947. I put "furnace" in quotes because the in 1947 - Firestone called it an "Air Conditioner."

I also have a GE "Monitor Top" refrigerator out in my barn. Still works well and made in 1929. Steelyard near me also has a 1929 monitor-top running all the time. Employees keep their drinks in it.

I had a monitor top fridge in the house I sold about 8 years ago. New owners kept it and it still running. Did put new gasket on the door and a new cord too as that rubber stuff was all cracked. Had a 5 burner, side oven, gas stove with the curvy legs to go with it. The fifth burner was just a tiny ring in the center and it was meant to keep the coffee pot warm.