Houseboat. Not A Toyota. Sorry.

zero

I was cleaning up my hard-drive and came across this photo I took last winter. I was in the process of getting a Winnebago out of a nearby woods and saw this neat little houseboat or "cottage-boat" parked next to it. Even had a wood-stove inside. For all I know - It is still sitting out there in the woods. Maybe it's the owner's version of Noah's ark and he's waiting for global warming to kick in.

post-6578-0-53145300-1401824625_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-49073100-1401824628_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-31754500-1401824630_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-36741800-1401824632_thumb.jp

Doesn't seem to have any motor mount. Sure would be lovely to just have sitting in a lake though. I missed out on a tiny 16 foot houseboat made by Terra Lago a couple of years ago and have been kicking myself since then.

Linda S

Yes I've seen that before Derek. My woodworking skills are not the best and I'm thinking that talent might be essential when building a boat. Most of my house boating has been on Lake Shasta in northern Cal. When the wind comes up those pedals will take you nowhere. You would probably get blown across the lake. A motor would be required. But since were on little houseboats, this is my all time favorite and it too has pedals and side wheels

http://shantyboatliving.com/2013/german-pedal-powered-sidewheeler/

Linda S

jdemaris,

When I lived in Southeast Alaska, I used to dream of building something similar to this little gem. At the boat yard where I worked, we called these little craft "shantyboats". There were quite a few of them anchored in little coves and inlets in Southeast Alaska in the Summer. Some people Wintered over in them, too, although I don't think they had it very easy. I'd still like to build a simple one.

John

When I lived in Quebec I had a 18' pontoon boat that I attached a gas grill and two lazyboys to the deck.

Parked on the lake, had the fishing pole, cooler, and nice umbrella to keep the sun off.

Gee, I miss those days.