In The Market For Dream Sunrader. Red Flags To Look Out For?

Hello,

I have had my eye on the Sunrader since my friends owned one a few years ago. I have saved up some cash and am now very actively looking to buy one. I have done a bit of research on some issues with these RV's such as the real axle recall. My very first car was a 1989 Toyota pickup, so I am familiar with the chassis and how to maintain it.

I am very anxious to buy a Sunrader, and I know ALOT of other people are looking to buy these also, so I fear I may be too excited when I find one i'm interested in and potentially costly maintenance issues may be missed if I don't look closely. I don't want to spend very much more than the sell price to get her ready to ride. I'm pretty car savvy, so I can tell old rotting tires and potential rust spots from something in new or good condition.

So my question is: What other issues should I be keeping in mind and looking at closely as I do my shopping?

Also: Are there any other Toyota models that have fiberglass bodies or aren't so suseptable to leaks? As much as I love the Sunrader, I am willing to look at other types since I would really like a rear kitchen and I haven't seen many Sunraders with rear kitchens.

Thanks for looking and for your help!

Edited by Incurable Wanderlust

Sunraders leak vey much the same as most other campers. Every window and vent is prone to leaking. The big difference is those leaks just don't do structural damage. Still might need to replace paneling. Hopefully you can find one in good shape. The rear kitchen is actually quite common up through the 4 cylinder years. I haven't ever seen a v6 one though. Costly repairs can be almost anything. I would absolutely make sure all the appliances work. Huge cost to replace those. Tires must be newer. At least 3 members here have found very reasonably priced Sunraders on craigslist by just being diligent and searching every day. As far as other Toyota motorhomes with similar construction the only one I can think of is a Nova Star made by new Horizon

Linda S

Thank you for the responses!

I do understand that with any RV there can be leaks in vents and windows. I can handle those kinds of repairs if they happen, so my main concern is structural leaks, like those that tend to happen in older RVs with aluminum panels, that I want to avoid. This is why I hesitate to commit to looking to buy a dolphin, aside from the fact that I like the look of the Sunrader.

I have been diligently searching Craigslist and everywhere else that I can think of for listings for the past 2 weeks, so I am not concerned with finding one at a fair price, I just want to be sure that I don't have to spend more money than what I buy it for on repairs.

As far as size I am looking for 21 feet or less, and this will be my new home, so I know to look for all working appliances plus holding tanks, water pumps, shower & toilet etc.

Are there any other common issues that people run into that I need to look out for?

Thanks for the link and for the help once again.

I'm in The Bay Area of Northern Cali, but "not cheap" already sounds like out of my price range. Of course I'm not looking for something super cheap, but I can't afford something with a $10,000+ price on it.

Thanks for the help!

Edited by Incurable Wanderlust

Nice looking ride. Has the 5 lug axle. Small enough it shouldn't be an issue.

Might be 5 lug in front. I see 6 lugs in the back.

I'm on my way to Bisbee today...that's pretty tempting!

I couldn't abandon the Chinook on the road, though...and "needs minimal engine details" and "needs interior work" aren't things I want to hear right now. Especially since they didn't post interior photos.

Incurable Wanderlust,

What Linda said...Aluminum sided RV's don't get "structural leaks" (whatever they are) any more than fiberglass RV's do. The leaks that ruin the floors, walls and roofs of Toyhomes come from penetrations in the outer skin; i.e. windows, doors, roof vents, wiring and tank vents. If water gets in through these openings, the motorhome will eventually turn to soggy junk no matter who built it originally.

John

I just picked up a Sunrader in April after looking for over a year. All I can say is that no matter how hard you look, you will miss something. I thought that I had looked over the one I bought pretty good but the more I go over it the more I find, nothing major but problems none the less. The biggest problem I found on buying a Sunrader was that if it's a good deal and you aren't the first one there...it's gone.

Edited by passman

I haven't had my 1st coffee yet, but that sure looks like a 6-lug rear axle to me.

I stand corrected. Sometimes my phone magnification is not that great. (or maybe my eyesight :).

Incurable Wanderlust,

What Linda said...Aluminum sided RV's don't get "structural leaks" (whatever they are) any more than fiberglass RV's do. The leaks that ruin the floors, walls and roofs of Toyhomes come from penetrations in the outer skin; i.e. windows, doors, roof vents, wiring and tank vents. If water gets in through these openings, the motorhome will eventually turn to soggy junk no matter who built it originally.

John

I have no idea what a "structural" leak is - as opposed to other sorts of leaks. One BIG issue with any of these RV is - any wood and insulation used in the walls and floors is unventilated. If any moisture gets in -for any reason - it tends to get trapped there. I've yet to see an RV built like a house structure and ventilated to keep rot from starting.

For those of you who offered answers, thanks!

Doesn't sound like there are any specific major issues to keep my eye out for other than the obvious ones (any leaks, rust, 6 lug). I guess I do have all the info I need and I know what to look for. I know there will be minor issues along the way, as with any used RV or vehicle, but my main concern was anything that will cost me big bucks to fix if I don't know to look for them, for example, if I haddn't known about the rear axle recall or like some other RVs I've read about that are notorious for water getting into the seams as they age if not resealed (something I would want to ask the seller) etc. That's the type of issue I was asking about.

I'm in the midst of a deal on a 1987 model. Crossing my fingers that all is well and I can make a deal!

SO thanks again!

Sunraders/Americanas/Mirages have the advantage of not having lengthy seams to leak at the junction of the walls and roof panels. Aluminum skins can develop pin-holes that will let small (but damaging) amounts of water through the skin. Some 'stick-built' models have aluminum or steel framing instead of 1"x2" wood.

Feel free to post lots of pictures. 'Spot the problem' is a favorite game here. :)

Yep and the mechanic put together about a grand of safety items that had to be fixed and I'm just taking my time with everything else. Today was "why don't any of my marker lights work?" between corrosion and burnt out bulbs I think it's time for LED's

no regrets

• 3 weeks later...

Thought i'd update. I'm the proud new owner of a 1987 Sunrader with only 45,500 miles! There are minor fixes, a few loose screws, the spice rack is falling apart, and a cracked skylight and some dead or cracked exterior lights on the top, but nothing unexpected since she is all original, nothings been renovated, but she is in great shape! I was lucky enough to find a seller who did not list on Craigslist and only dealt with me, so I did not have to compete with any other buyers or rush to decide on my purchase. If it's meant to be, it's meant to be, and this one was definitely meant to come to me. I've had her about two weeks now and been enjoying setting things up to make her my own. How exciting!

What would you like to take a look at specifically?

This is something your going to have to get used to. Sunrader owners can never see enough Sunraders. Even non Sunraders are going to want to check out your rig. Sunnynshare has also made major repairs to his rig and he's someone you should meet. Never hurts to have a helping hand and good advice nearby

Linda S

Ha! I suppose I can see that. There is an 18ft Sunrader that someone parks on the street I drive on to work every day, and I gawk at it every time I pass as if it were the first time seeing one.

Well, Sunnyshare - I drive my other car mostly or take public transportation, so my RV will be in the city if you're ever around.

Here are some photos until then:

post-7764-0-03968300-1402759241_thumb.jp

post-7764-0-33815700-1402759246_thumb.jp

post-7764-0-40000800-1402759249_thumb.jp

I really like how the upper cabinets are molded fiberglass. I wish mine were like that. Nice sun rader!

The molded fiberglass cabinets are usually found on 87 and newer models with a rear bath. I have seen them on two 1986 units and one very unusual 1985 Nissan. Only rear bath means never on a shorty either. Yes I wish I had fiberglass cabinets too

Linda S

Yeah...integrated fiberglass cabinets...that would be great. I really wish I had time and access to people who knew darn near every trade out there, so I could learn enough to be competent in them all. There's just so much you can do when you know how to work with different materials.

And so much you can make kind of a hack job out of when you don't have all those skills...